C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$900 for a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:29 PM
badazz81z28
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default $900 for a tune?

Got a quote from a place in Las Vegas for a dyno tune on a head/cam LS7...$900!!

Is this about right or is this just crazy?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

On the high side IMO. Especially for such a common setup.

On a 2017 corvette where it costs more credits to license them and fewer people know how to properly tune them then there'd at least be a reason behind it.

LS7 heads cam should be $500, $750 max IMO
Old 05-28-2017, 02:02 PM
badazz81z28
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
On the high side IMO. Especially for such a common setup.

On a 2017 corvette where it costs more credits to license them and fewer people know how to properly tune them then there'd at least be a reason behind it.

LS7 heads cam should be $500, $750 max IMO

I'll see who else is around...open to suggestions in the Las Vegas Area.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Drive it down to Phoenix for the weekend, enjoy a trip, and get a good tune. Still cheaper.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Got a quote from a place in Las Vegas for a dyno tune on a head/cam LS7...$900!!

Is this about right or is this just crazy?
I suspect that is from Leading Edge. If so, well worth it. They do a great job. You're wasting money going to Phoenix.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I suspect that is from Leading Edge. If so, well worth it. They do a great job. You're wasting money going to Phoenix. I drive from North Dakota to have Garth do mine.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:29 AM
badazz81z28
Racer

Originally Posted by hoganj
I suspect that is from Leading Edge. If so, well worth it. They do a great job. You're wasting money going to Phoenix. I drive from North Dakota to have Garth do mine.
yes it is, but the problem is I feel I have to pay for something in not getting. He said they do a complete driveability tune and that includes tuning the transmission shift points etc. I have a standalone engine with a 6 speed manual. That's a lot of money. How long does he take? My last tune in California back 5 or so years ago was $300 and it only sat in the dyno for an hour.

If it sat on the dyno for hours and it was guaranteed and perfect, maybe
Old 06-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My last one was on the dyno for almost 8 hours. I had an automatic but at the time he didn't do autos and the charge was about $750. That was 3 years ago. I gained about 50 hp and1 mpg on a stock LS2. He is really good on built engines like yours. Talk to him again and see if he knows you have a manual.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Bring it to Scottsdale. I'll tune it for free but I'm pretty lousy at it.....
Old 07-14-2017, 01:19 PM
RatedR
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats High $500 is Average here in TX
Old 07-15-2017, 01:49 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default More info?

Where are you located and what do you mean by a "standalone engine"?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Depends on the skill of the tuner.
(Eric Clapton or me playing guitar at your wedding.)

Labor rate in my area is $150 to $200.

None the less good luck with your new tune and decision.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 PM
badazz81z28
Racer

Originally Posted by Kenny94945

Youre really gonna go there? That's like comparing your buddy next door to a professional speed shop. If you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't have a shop that specializes in engine tunes.....
Tuning takes skills, but it shouldn't cost that much....
Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
NVA2010
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely overpriced. Even here in CA the most expensive tune for a build like yours that I have seen is around $600.

And don't get hung up on how long the car takes to be tuned. Someone who knows what they are doing (especially with a common build like yours) can knock a fantastic tune out in an hour or two with maybe 3 dyno pulls. The reason is that they have done it so many times before. They know what works, so they start from there and then the fine tweaks are what take the extra bit if time. Just because someone takes 8 hours to tune your car, does not mean the tune is good.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:38 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Youre really gonna go there? That's like comparing your buddy next door to a professional speed shop. If you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't have a shop that specializes in engine tunes.....
Tuning takes skills, but it shouldn't cost that much....
Sadly, it needs to be said. There are lots of "tuners" out there with a laptop who are willing to charge (even a discounted price) to work on your car. That alone doesn't make them experts.

On the other hand, there are guys who have experience and are continuously investing in their knowledge to make sure they deliver the best possible product (calibration) to their customers. These guys usually cost more, and justifiably so. The good ones generally don't need to sell on price, since their results generate enough business to keep them busy.

The cheap tooners actually keep the good guys in business. It's just unfortunate that so many customers feel the need to try the cheap guys first only to end up needing the skillset of a more experienced (and expensive) calibrator.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 PM
badazz81z28
Racer

Originally Posted by Kenny94945

Isnt i
Originally Posted by TurboLX
Sadly, it needs to be said. There are lots of "tuners" out there with a laptop who are willing to charge (even a discounted price) to work on your car. That alone doesn't make them experts.

On the other hand, there are guys who have experience and are continuously investing in their knowledge to make sure they deliver the best possible product (calibration) to their customers. These guys usually cost more, and justifiably so. The good ones generally don't need to sell on price, since their results generate enough business to keep them busy.

The cheap tooners actually keep the good guys in business. It's just unfortunate that so many customers feel the need to try the cheap guys first only to end up needing the skillset of a more experienced (and expensive) calibrator.

Isn't it a poor assumption to say an expensive tune means a better tune? I don't buy that for one minute. Even expensive can suck....

Last edited by badazz81z28; 07-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Isnt i

Isn't it a poor assumption to say an expensive tune means a better tune? I don't buy that for one minute. Even expensive can suck....
I've seen, first hand, a few "sucky" expensive ones.....

Get notified of new replies

To $900 for a tune?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, even expensive "big name" tooners can be less than acceptable. However, I rarely find that truly experienced guys who take the time to do things right (both airflow models across the whole range, for example) will do so for $500 out the door. A proper calibration takes time.

That said, an educated consumer is often the best customer. If you educate yourself a bit as an enthusiast and are able to ask a few targeted questions like "will you dial in both MAF and Speed Density using steady state measurements?", then you can quickly weed out some of the tooners who are just out take take your money instead of really dialing in your car properly with good methods. I've had lots of non-tuners attend my classes, read my books, and watch my videos just so they can learn more about what someone else would be doing to their cars. Hopefully, it allows them to have a better conversation with the calibrator and appreciate the work that they're doing.
The following users liked this post:
pewter99 (08-10-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TurboLX
Yes, even expensive "big name" tooners can be less than acceptable. However, I rarely find that truly experienced guys who take the time to do things right (both airflow models across the whole range, for example) will do so for $500 out the door. A proper calibration takes time.

That said, an educated consumer is often the best customer. If you educate yourself a bit as an enthusiast and are able to ask a few targeted questions like "will you dial in both MAF and Speed Density using steady state measurements?", then you can quickly weed out some of the tooners who are just out take take your money instead of really dialing in your car properly with good methods. I've had lots of non-tuners attend my classes, read my books, and watch my videos just so they can learn more about what someone else would be doing to their cars. Hopefully, it allows them to have a better conversation with the calibrator and appreciate the work that they're doing.

Good advice Greg - I have learned so much from you as well as one other member on CF and some very smart members on HPT.

I tune my own car, but not others and certainly not for profit. Even if you're not going to attempt the tune yourself, knowing what you expect out of the car given the way it will be used is invaluable information to a GOOD tuner. To an average to poor tuner, it probably doesn't make much difference.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 AM
Twayneo1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid 850 for my first tune, but now i am only having to pay 650 for a SD tune for the headers methanol and smaller pulley, part of the cost is the license fee, but honestly brother id rather pay someone who is legit, than save a couple dollars and have a blown motor, or shitty tune
The following users liked this post:
Mike's LS3 (08-12-2017)

Quick Reply: $900 for a tune?