C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:40 AM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine light flashing

I have a 2005 corvette ,with cam and headers. I have had this work done to my car several years ago and what i noticed this year is when I started driving it the engine light will flash causing the car to mis fire and run real rough. after maybe 10 min engine light goes away and it runs fine. I checked for any codes and there was none.

I changed the spark plugs and wires and fired it up and no faults and ran good. But I have been real busy at work the last two years and I know I let the car sit for weeks at a time but it seems when I first start it up and pull out of the driveway the engine light flashes again so I drove for about 15 min and it was still there.

Hooked up code reader while car was still running and no codes were there to read, turned it off restarted the car and engine light went off and the car runs fine for the day.

Any help would be great to my next steps to solving this problem

Thanks

Steve
Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Xvette
I have a 2005 corvette ,with cam and headers. I have had this work done to my car several years ago and what i noticed this year is when I started driving it the engine light will flash causing the car to mis fire and run real rough. after maybe 10 min engine light goes away and it runs fine. I checked for any codes and there was none.

I changed the spark plugs and wires and fired it up and no faults and ran good. But I have been real busy at work the last two years and I know I let the car sit for weeks at a time but it seems when I first start it up and pull out of the driveway the engine light flashes again so I drove for about 15 min and it was still there.

Hooked up code reader while car was still running and no codes were there to read, turned it off restarted the car and engine light went off and the car runs fine for the day.

Any help would be great to my next steps to solving this problem

Thanks

Steve
That sounds like the symptoms of one of the coils going bad. A burnt plug wire or bad spark plug could also cause it. If the engine light was flashing there should be a code stored for the cylinder that was causing it.

Last edited by 89Roadster; 06-07-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:04 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
That sounds like the symptoms of one of the coils going bad. A burnt plug wire or bad spark plug could also cause it. If the engine light was flashing there should be a code stored for the cylinder that was causing it.
I also had taken it to my Buddy that has a tech 2 machine and no codes stored.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 AM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Xvette
the engine light will flash causing the car to mis fire and run real rough.
You actually have that backwards.

The MIL is flashing because you are experiencing misfire. I'm surprised there's no stored code, but that probably just means your tooner turned off the P0300 (and its related family of codes) in the calibration.

You need to find the root cause of the misfire. The first step is to look for something obvious on the hardware. Ignition systems, wires, plugs, coils, then move on to fueling by checking fuel trims too. If you don't find anything here, it's time to talk to the tooner (or a new one) to look at the calibration. If the ECU is able to hold close to lambda=1 fueling without too much correction, then spark advance in the other main variable. Too little (stock timing on a big cam at part throttle) can yield misfire. But since this seems to be a recent issue for you, I'd start with the mechanicals before accusing the calibration of being incorrect.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine light flashing

Quick Reply: Engine light flashing