C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Fast Relearn procedure using a GM Tech

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts
Default What is the Fast Relearn procedure using a GM Tech

Not sure if this is against the rules but I posted this question in another c6 forum ...

Does any one know the actual procedure to perform a FAST Relearn on a A6 with a GM Tech ll ?

I printed off some instructions but the menu to relearn is not there on my programmer

1- Chose F1 TCM module
2- F5 Module Setup
3- F0 Fast Learn Adapts

When I get to # 2 Module set up an I press enter on the next menu the only choice I have is reset Trans Oil Change .....

My Tech Two supposedly has the latest software and displays cars and trucks up to 2013

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or maybe my TECH Two , which is a Chinese knock off does not have the programing ?

I know HP tuners can do the relearn but I don't have HP tuners ....
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 08-20-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Anybody ??
Old 08-26-2017, 01:46 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Programming with a GM Tech 2

Procedures such as relearns require programming software for which the Tech 2 acts as a pass-through device (there are other ways of reprogramming if you have different tools but that is how I use my Tech 2). The Tech 2 itself is not a programming tool and has no programming features. Although powerful, even with a CANdi module it can just diagnose issues, clear codes, and perform tests on items in your car.

Reprogramming your car's modules like ECMs and TCMs requires a PC/terminal/diagnostic tool that includes the GM programming software or subscription to a service that offers the software. For example, to reprogram an item like an ECM you would connect the PC, the Tech 2, and the car's OBD port together and download the programming software to the car via the Tech 2 using the PC. A TCM would be reprogrammed similarly.

The GM/AC Delco subscription service for programming can be found at this site:

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

You can subscribe to the Tech2Win-but you will also need a proper connector between your PC and the Tech 2 to transfer the info.

Whether it's worth investing more $$ to have programming capability depends on how often you will use it and how many cars you will use it on. It might be cheaper to just have a dealer perform the work for an hour or two of labor cost for a one-time effort.

What I've noted is just a synopsis of what's involved.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Procedures such as relearns require programming software for which the Tech 2 acts as a pass-through device Tech 2 itself is not a programming tool and has no programming features. Although powerful, even with a CANdi module it can just diagnose issues, clear codes, and perform tests on items in your car.

Reprogramming your car's modules like ECMs and TCMs requires a PC/terminal/diagnostic tool that includes the GM programming software or subscription to a service that offers the software. For example, to reprogram an item like an ECM you would connect the PC, the Tech 2, and the car's OBD port together and download the programming software to the car via the Tech 2 using the PC. A TCM would be reprogrammed similarly.
I get it when you are replacing a TCM or ECM that it needs to be programed to the car but I thought a relearn was just a series of tests where the TECH 11 puts the TCM in learn mode and cycles thru each gear applying pressure to engage each pack and then learning that these are the new values

Kind of like clearing the Shift ADAPTS which I have done with the TECH !!

Every article I have read so far states that you go into the TCM menu then FAST LEARN ..... that is why I was asking if the menu option was missing from my knock off Tech 11 ?

If I cant find it I will go to my Transmission shop or back to the dealer

Thanks for the help

Dave
Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

This is what I am looking to do
The" FastLearn" procedure is a series of tests that are run to allow the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to "Learn" (Adapt) to the characteristics of the clutch packs within the transmission. As each clutch packs data is learned, "FastLearn" stores the information in the adaptive cells for each clutch within the TCM. "
Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 AM
snomuncher
Racer

Default Transmission Fast Learn

Ok, so here is the path to Transmission Fast Learn on my "genuine" Tech 2 with software version V33.004:

Under the Diagnostics Menu, follow this path:

Transmission/Transaxle=>Automatic Transmission=>F2 Special Functions=>F0 Transmission Control Module=>F5 Fast Learn Adapt Process

Last edited by snomuncher; 08-27-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by snomuncher
Ok, so here is the path to Transmission Fast Learn on my "genuine" Tech 2 with software version V33.004:

Under the Diagnostics Menu, follow this path:

Transmission/Transaxle=>Automatic Transmission=>F2 Special Functions=>F0 Transmission Control Module=>F5 Fast Learn Adapt Process
awesome. that's what I needed , thank you so much for taking the time ..... that us what makes these Forums so great ... people helping people !!

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 08-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Following your directions above , and I chose 2011 , I still do not see Fast Relearn , I do see Reset Fast Adapts

But if I go back and change the year and select 2006 , then the transaxle pops up and the Fast Learn is an option

I wonder if it will be ok to but my 2011 in Fast Learn mode like this since the 2006 was a six speed ?

Does yours display Fast learn if you choose a 2011 LS3 6Speed Auto? (you can back out if that is not your year car etc )

Here are some screen shots of when I choose my year 2011 LS3 6 Speed Auto

I have the latest software

I go do to diagnostics

I pick my year which is 2011

Then I pick Passenger car

Then Chevrolet , and then the next step is enter a Y ( I did not get a picture )

Then pick powertrain

then pick engine and transmission ( left the engine shot out )

Then TCM

Then Special functions

And this is the menu I see

When I chose the year 2006 I see a different menu ......with the Fast Relearn as an option
Not sure why .....

Dave
Old 08-27-2017, 01:55 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Default Transmission Fast Learn

The menus on my Tech 2 are the same. Sorry, I do not own a 2011 C6 and do not have the 2011 Y Body Helm Service Manual to determine what's different or the same.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by snomuncher
The menus on my Tech 2 are the same. Sorry, I do not own a 2011 C6 and do not have the 2011 Y Body Helm Service Manual to determine what's different or the same.
Thank u ....
Old 07-17-2023, 06:00 PM
branedge
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but having the same issue. Was curious if you ever resolved this..found the fast relearn procedure?
Old 07-17-2023, 06:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by branedge
I know this is an old thread but having the same issue. Was curious if you ever resolved this..found the fast relearn procedure?
YEP I just changed the year ....
Old 07-17-2023, 07:01 PM
branedge
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
YEP I just changed the year ....
I went back to 06 (have 2012) but didn't see the option. All I see is the reset transmission adapts. I'll go and double check. Right now truck want shift into 2nd unless I do it manually. Think finding and running the service fast transmission adapts will make a difference? I replaced the TCM/valve body.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2023, 07:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by branedge
I went back to 06 (have 2012) but didn't see the option. All I see is the reset transmission adapts. I'll go and double check. Right now truck want shift into 2nd unless I do it manually. Think finding and running the service fast transmission adapts will make a difference? I replaced the TCM/valve body.

Thanks
anytime you do a repair u should always clear adapts and do a relearn

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To What is the Fast Relearn procedure using a GM Tech

Quick Reply: What is the Fast Relearn procedure using a GM Tech