C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading ABS Codes, Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Mean 69
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Reading ABS Codes, Help Please

2007 Z06. Having well known issues with traction control/ABS, etc. Got the warnings on the dash and wish to read the specific codes to diagnose the issue. I bought an Actron Autoscanner Plus 9680 which has the ability to read the ABS codes, my old tool didn't have the capability.

I located the OBDII connector and turned the scanner on. It sees the Engine Control unit just fine, but it doesn't see the ABS control unit. Is there another plug that I use to access the brake controller, or is all the data ported to the OBDII connector?

If the data gets ported to that connector then I think my brake controller gave up the ghost.

New to this car and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Mark , All OBDll readers use the OBD port .... , if there is a code in the ECM ABS or BCM you should see it on your reader

Now just because you are getting the ABS and Traction control warnings does not mean you have troubles with them , there are 100's of reasons as to why those warning will pop up . The ECM will turn off ABS or traction control if it senses an error in any system that works with the affected system . I had all those messages plus ... reduced power pop up all caused by a bad TPS sensor , I could only read and clear my code if the car was running( not ACC position )

Scan the ECM and BCM for codes , make sure you check History also and if you don't have any codes stored then the next time the warning lights pop up , pull over , do not shut off the car , hook up the scanner and scan for codes

Good luck and let us know who it all works out
Dave
Old 12-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Mean 69
Intermediate

Thank you very much! Indeed when I started the car the next time, the codes had reset and I didn't have any issues. I did see on another thread where this condition was caused by an imbalance between tire pressure on a given end of the car, I had low pressure as it turns out in the right front, I aired it up and haven't seen the issue return.

I do see instances where I get a traction control assist on slow corners, I have a feeling that it might be a wheel speed sensor because I can hear some slight squeaking out of one side of the car. I also think there may have been some cross talk with brake squeal, but this is just a hunch that I will eliminate by putting new pads on the car. I don't know what is on there now as I am not original owner but they scream when a little warm on slow speed stops around town.

Good thing I have two code readers now, I'll keep one in the Z now at all times. Silly that you can't access the system/codes unless you have a fault. I suspect another ploy by GM to keep their dealers happy.

Thanks so much!
Mark
Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What reader are you using? Most of the generic ones will only read engine and transmission codes, not everything else.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What reader are you using? Most of the generic ones will only read engine and transmission codes, not everything else.
He has a 9680 plus which will read ABS codes ......

Dave
Old 12-24-2017, 04:03 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Found this thread as I am also in the market for a scanner that will do the lot such as ABS etc..

Is the Actron Autoscanner Plus 9680 the one to get or am I better off with something else? I would like to do all the work on my car myself so something that will allow me to read all codes would be handy.

Does the HP Tuners suite read all codes also or will it not read ABS codes?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I bought a knock off GM TECH ll and could not be happier with it
Dave
Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I bought a knock off GM TECH ll and could not be happier with it
Dave
Can I ask from which seller you bought it from or where?
Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sprayer
Can I ask from which seller you bought it from or where?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-...iABEgL8GvD_BwE

I make no guarantees other than the one I got works great and is of great quality ,there are hundreds of posts about these knock offs , take the time to read them .
I absolutely would not use it to flash ECM or modules because the software runs on XP and u need a GM licences but as far as I am concerned if you have a 2013 or older GM car. there is not a better diagnostic tool . Between my friends and I , this thing has paid for itself over and over . I removed VINs from radios , removed the F55 magnetic shock option programmed keys , found a nagging intermittent misfire ....etc etc etc and not just on vettes Take the time to learn the menus ...you will be surprised at all you can do with it

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 12-24-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

He has a 9680 plus which will read ABS codes ......

Dave
Good to know, just wanted to be sure.. I've seen several local people buy little cheapo ELM327 interfaces to connect to a smart phone and then wonder why they couldn't read ABS codes

I think I'm going to pick up a knock off tech ii at some point, I have some airbag codes on both GM vehicles so by the time I paid a dealership to read them I could have just bought a "tech ii" from China
Old 12-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I have a faclity in Greensboro, next time I visit the market I will reach out to u , I can bring mine with me

Dave
Old 12-25-2017, 02:30 AM
sprayer
Drifting

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-...iABEgL8GvD_BwE

I make no guarantees other than the one I got works great and is of great quality ,there are hundreds of posts about these knock offs , take the time to read them .
I absolutely would not use it to flash ECM or modules because the software runs on XP and u need a GM licences but as far as I am concerned if you have a 2013 or older GM car. there is not a better diagnostic tool . Between my friends and I , this thing has paid for itself over and over . I removed VINs from radios , removed the F55 magnetic shock option programmed keys , found a nagging intermittent misfire ....etc etc etc and not just on vettes Take the time to learn the menus ...you will be surprised at all you can do with it

Dave
Thanks brother!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:54 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I have a faclity in Greensboro, next time I visit the market I will reach out to u , I can bring mine with me

Dave
That would be awesome, thanks. Just let me know, I'm around here most of the time. I'm pretty sure the Corvette's is the connector under one of the seats but the truck I'm not sure if it's the clock spring or one of the sensors on the front bumper and don't really want to start throwing parts at it.

Anyways, thread hijack over
Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Mean 69
Intermediate

FYI, the Actron I bought (see above) is pretty nice. I paid a smidge over $200 for it and so far it seems to work really well. It has a feature, that I have not used yet and may never, that catalogs verified solutions to various codes - meaning "swap this part and you'll be good." Have used it on my wife's ten year Merc-B, my Jeep, the Z06, and my motorhome and all report perfectly. It can tell what vehicle it is from the download, which my ten year old Acton can't. So far I recommend.

Thanks all,
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Reading ABS Codes, Help Please

Quick Reply: Reading ABS Codes, Help Please