C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:53 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts
Default Tuner question

a question for the tuners. I bought a stock 2012 base coupe A6 car. Have put on a Borla axle back and bought a Vararam but haven’t installed yet. Want to get it tuned, BUT when I bought the car I was given a great deal on a 2 year warranty. I know a tune would possibly void a warranty but is there any way a dealer would know if there was a tune in it before I bought it? Anything saying a date as to when a tune was installed? So if I get it tuned and say I have to use the warranty would I be able to say that the tune must have been in there when I bought it?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
a question for the tuners. I bought a stock 2012 base coupe A6 car. Have put on a Borla axle back and bought a Vararam but haven’t installed yet. Want to get it tuned, BUT when I bought the car I was given a great deal on a 2 year warranty. I know a tune would possibly void a warranty but is there any way a dealer would know if there was a tune in it before I bought it? Anything saying a date as to when a tune was installed? So if I get it tuned and say I have to use the warranty would I be able to say that the tune must have been in there when I bought it?
Great question! I can't imagine a time/date stamp of some sort wouldn't be part of rewriting the data in the tune.

I have a lifetime warranty on my 2011 GS and I have read a mountain of material on the different tuners out there and it appears the Diablo will give me everything I want and the trick is how they do it as the tune is never detectable.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 AM
farmington
Safety Car

The hand heads are better than nothing, but a good tune done by a competent tuner is definitely better.
My future plans are either headers or Z06 manifolds and mid pipe and possibly a torque converter. I have a good tuner to use (used him in the past). Just want to find out if there’s a date code inside that can be detected (or if dealers routinely scan the car when it comes in looking for tunes).
Old 07-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The hand heads are better than nothing, but a good tune done by a competent tuner is definitely better.
My future plans are either headers or Z06 manifolds and mid pipe and possibly a torque converter. I have a good tuner to use (used him in the past). Just want to find out if there’s a date code inside that can be detected (or if dealers routinely scan the car when it comes in looking for tunes).
Dealer looks at CVNs for verification and they are not dated that I have ever seen, so, no.

As fior canned vs custom...we offer the best of both worlds.
The platinum devices are preloaded with performance tunes, and you can have custom tunes made for any mods from our CMR tuning dealers.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2018, 02:39 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Here's a GM document that details how they can look for non OEM tunes.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GM cal info.pdf (1.45 MB, 68 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Arkel
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Dealer looks at CVNs for verification and they are not dated that I have ever seen, so, no.

As fior canned vs custom...we offer the best of both worlds.
The platinum devices are preloaded with performance tunes, and you can have custom tunes made for any mods from our CMR tuning dealers.

Thanks
I have a platinum tuner so I need to purchase a custom tune when I add a different cold air intake
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

you don't need a tune for those modifications that you have.no matter when tuned it will void your warranty
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM
farmington
Safety Car

But what I’m getting at is what if I say it must have been in the car when I bought it. Is there any way they can dispute that? Can they definitively know when a tune was installed? It very well could have been put in by a previous owner. Any way to prove WHEN it was installed.
And do I NEED a tune, no, but will a real tune make the car better? Yes it will.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
you don't need a tune for those modifications that you have.no matter when tuned it will void your warranty
This is not the case. I am in this thread explaining exactly why our tunes can't be detected. Do you have some level of knowledge unavailable to me or our engineering team that says otherwise, or are you making this factual statement based on 2nd hand conjecture?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
This is not the case. I am in this thread explaining exactly why our tunes can't be detected. Do you have some level of knowledge unavailable to me or our engineering team that says otherwise, or are you making this factual statement based on 2nd hand conjecture?

Thanks
I never mentioned anything about whether your Diablo tune can be detected just that any tune that is detectable will void warranty.this car will not need a tune with mods it has but will make better power with one
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I never mentioned anything about whether your Diablo tune can be detected just that any tune that is detectable will void warranty.this car will not need a tune with mods it has but will make better power with one
not need a tune , have u seen data logs to see if this is true or did u just make mods and drive the car
I am confident that the long term and short term fuel trims are off by a lot ....and you think that when it goes into open loop it's not lean ?
what about rear O2 sensors , or do u just drive around with them on.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

But what I’m getting at is what if I say it must have been in the car when I bought it. Is there any way they can dispute that? Can they definitively know when a tune was installed? It very well could have been put in by a previous owner. Any way to prove WHEN it was installed.
And do I NEED a tune, no, but will a real tune make the car better? Yes it will.
Yes u need a tune .. anybody that tells u different has no idea ... just data log your car with your diablo and use the free viewer to see what the ECM is doing , timing is off , fuel is off .....and wot is lean .....

use the diablo if I are afraid of a tune causing warranty issues ... there is no magic sauce that any other tuner uses that is different from a mail order tune when it comes to headers and a cai .
U load the base tune , log it , send it to diablo lew , he will send u modified tune , then do a wot data log and send it to him , rinse and repeat as many times as u feel necessary . It's the same thing a street tune is .... just Lew is in another state ...

U can restore the factory tune with no trace that a tune was ever loaded but ...do u think the dealer will not see the headers and CAI ?
And even if u ave the original tune , depending on what blows they might say that your mods caused the damage to happen ...

If you want to.play you got to pay , you cant expect GM to pickup the tab after u modified what they warranty .......

Dave
Old 07-17-2018, 08:19 AM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dcasole
not need a tune , have u seen data logs to see if this is true or did u just make mods and drive the car
I am confident that the long term and short term fuel trims are off by a lot ....and you think that when it goes into open loop it's not lean ?
what about rear O2 sensors , or do u just drive around with them on.
no I check on dyno first.a/f and everything good to go
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 AM
DKZC5
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes u need a tune .. anybody that tells u different has no idea ... just data log your car with your diablo and use the free viewer to see what the ECM is doing , timing is off , fuel is off .....and wot is lean .....

use the diablo if I are afraid of a tune causing warranty issues ... there is no magic sauce that any other tuner uses that is different from a mail order tune when it comes to headers and a cai .
U load the base tune , log it , send it to diablo lew , he will send u modified tune , then do a wot data log and send it to him , rinse and repeat as many times as u feel necessary . It's the same thing a street tune is .... just Lew is in another state ...

U can restore the factory tune with no trace that a tune was ever loaded but ...do u think the dealer will not see the headers and CAI ?
And even if u ave the original tune , depending on what blows they might say that your mods caused the damage to happen ...

If you want to.play you got to pay , you cant expect GM to pickup the tab after u modified what they warranty .......

Dave
Which Diablo model are you using, Dave?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DKZC5
Which Diablo model are you using, Dave?
I use the Diablosport I3 Platinum 8245 , make sure its the 8245 as the regular I3 is 50 state legal and will not allow custom tuning

Dave
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

no I check on dyno first.a/f and everything good to go
sure they are but .....
your fuels trims are not out of whack trying to make up for the lean condition .........I am having a real hard time believing this one

what about check engine lights for the rear o2 sensors

This is not a C7 and these are not MID LENGTH headers , they are Long Tubes on a C6 ......a tune is needed ....

Dave

Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 AM
irok
Safety Car

sure they are but .....
your fuels trims are not out of whack trying to make up for the lean condition .........I am having a real hard time believing this one

what about check engine lights for the rear o2 sensors

This is not a C7 and these are not MID LENGTH headers , they are Long Tubes on a C6 ......a tune is needed ....

Dave

Dave
rear o2's still functional and on car but turned off in tune.fuel trims good at that point and no adjustments needed in tune.wide band on car with long tubes and Vararam
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

rear o2's still functional and on car but turned off in tune.fuel trims good at that point and no adjustments needed in tune.wide band on car with long tubes and Vararam
Right ... that is what I am questioning , so when you made the statement above that no tune was needed , you did need to go into the tune and turn off the rear O2 sensors.... Depending on what you use to load this change to the tune it is detectable

I would also question the fact that the AFM is the same as stock as I have NEVER seen a car with long tubes that did not need some adjustment but that is up to u .....its not the norm .......

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM
irok
Safety Car

Right ... that is what I am questioning , so when you made the statement above that no tune was needed , you did need to go into the tune and turn off the rear O2 sensors.... Depending on what you use to load this change to the tune it is detectable

I would also question the fact that the AFM is the same as stock as I have NEVER seen a car with long tubes that did not need some adjustment but that is up to u .....its not the norm .......

Dave
turning off the rear 02 sensors in the tune was done long before the long tubes were added to the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuner question

Quick Reply: Tuner question