C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of my tech2 codes, problem after autox today, Can you have a look & help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Video of my tech2 codes, problem after autox today, Can you have a look & help?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:08 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default DTCs

It looks like a few of the codes are historical and not currently causing issues because they list as "passed" for the current ignition cycle. The ECBM Code C0561 disables the traction control when another module is not operating properly. I think you are on the right track to look for causes of the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) fault; although I did not trace all of the possible causes of the EBCM fault, it would be logical to think that an issue like a misfire, e.g., from a CKP error, would send a signal to the EBCM to disable the traction control until the misfire is corrected.

Try clearing all codes and taking another set of readings with your Tech 2.

Last edited by snomuncher; 08-27-2018 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

So today I got a look under the hood & #4 coil & wire are toast, this after just a couple of weeks ago doing #6.
WTF?
I'll post back with video, I expect this will clear the crankshaft sensor issues.
These stock ignition sets are JUNK.
Sheesh.

Ran fine with a new (used) wire & same coil.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-28-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Mess with the coils is someone did not use dielectric grease, used something else when the wires were put back on, and it's causing the arch problems as the "other Lube" is being cooked to prevent a clean pass of current from the coil post to wires clip isntead. So even with new spark plug wires, would still go to town with spray electrical cleaner to clean all the coil socket and posts, before applying dielectric grease to the works to prevent the corrosion problem to start with.

Also, would pull the plugs to check what they are, and if not OEM, would swap the oems back in. Hence both the OEM plugs and wires have a higher resistance to prevent RF noise back through the coils to cause RF to the ECM, which controls the alternator as well. Hence high enough RF noise to the ECM from the coils, and the alternator output is well be less than 14.7 volts, which can cause all kind of other problems as well. Hence loose spark plug wire cause the RF noise to the ECM, and why you end up with all the funky codes due to such.

B0113 and P166a problem did not happen that start up, are old codes, so would just check theses connector for problems (hence clean, dielectric grease and reinstall.

Same goes for the PO336 and P0324 being connector and spark plug/coil problem as well.

The C0561 is a problem between the ECM and EBCM communication, so would pull both of these connector to clean them up, dielectric grease and reconnect them. Hell, would go the extra step to pull the BCM connector to clean, dielectric grease and connect them as well. Also, double check the harnesses looms for the BCM connectors, to make sure they have enough slack where they pass under the carpet. To add, with the bad coils connection/RF noise to the ECM from the coil, and could be the funky signals Between the ECM and EBCM to start with that caused the code.

So once you get the above corrected, clean the DTC's and see what comes back, if any.

Really, don't know the history of the car, but if was from an humidity climate (yours is no better with salt in the air as well), now would be the time to go threw all the connectors to clean them so you don't run into, or keep running into corrode pin problems. Also, you have the C186 and C164 connectors behind the oil tank , and these are other connects that you will want to clean up as well.

Simply, GM connector all the connector dry at the plant, and it just a matter of time and humidity to the connectors before they start to have corrosion problems. With your location, and any where near the beach to add salt into the humidity as well, really makes the problem worse/happens faster instead.
Note, all the connectors have opening at the back where the wires go in, so even with say the ECM connector having the seal for it, the humidity gets into the connector and pins from the wire side of the connector so it not only a problem of connector to pin, but connector crimp connector to the wire itself as well.
The following users liked this post:
wjnjr (09-01-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dano523
Mess with the coils is someone did not use dielectric grease, used something else when the wires were put back on, and it's causing the arch problems as the "other Lube" is being cooked to prevent a clean pass of current from the coil post to wires clip isntead. So even with new spark plug wires, would still go to town with spray electrical cleaner to clean all the coil socket and posts, before applying dielectric grease to the works to prevent the corrosion problem to start with.

Also, would pull the plugs to check what they are, and if not OEM, would swap the oems back in. Hence both the OEM plugs and wires have a higher resistance to prevent RF noise back through the coils to cause RF to the ECM, which controls the alternator as well. Hence high enough RF noise to the ECM from the coils, and the alternator output is well be less than 14.7 volts, which can cause all kind of other problems as well. Hence loose spark plug wire cause the RF noise to the ECM, and why you end up with all the funky codes due to such.

B0113 and P166a problem did not happen that start up, are old codes, so would just check theses connector for problems (hence clean, dielectric grease and reinstall.

Same goes for the PO336 and P0324 being connector and spark plug/coil problem as well.

The C0561 is a problem between the ECM and EBCM communication, so would pull both of these connector to clean them up, dielectric grease and reconnect them. Hell, would go the extra step to pull the BCM connector to clean, dielectric grease and connect them as well. Also, double check the harnesses looms for the BCM connectors, to make sure they have enough slack where they pass under the carpet. To add, with the bad coils connection/RF noise to the ECM from the coil, and could be the funky signals Between the ECM and EBCM to start with that caused the code.

So once you get the above corrected, clean the DTC's and see what comes back, if any.

Really, don't know the history of the car, but if was from an humidity climate (yours is no better with salt in the air as well), now would be the time to go threw all the connectors to clean them so you don't run into, or keep running into corrode pin problems. Also, you have the C186 and C164 connectors behind the oil tank , and these are other connects that you will want to clean up as well.

Simply, GM connector all the connector dry at the plant, and it just a matter of time and humidity to the connectors before they start to have corrosion problems. With your location, and any where near the beach to add salt into the humidity as well, really makes the problem worse/happens faster instead.
Note, all the connectors have opening at the back where the wires go in, so even with say the ECM connector having the seal for it, the humidity gets into the connector and pins from the wire side of the connector so it not only a problem of connector to pin, but connector crimp connector to the wire itself as well.
Thanks, that's a treasure trove of good info. Will do vids as I go thru stuff, yes came from se usa (I think coastal) not 100% on that.

Get notified of new replies

To Video of my tech2 codes, problem after autox today, Can you have a look & help?

Quick Reply: Video of my tech2 codes, problem after autox today, Can you have a look & help?