C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro Tailights using Standard GM Parts doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 AM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks. For the fast turn signal you can use a resistor, same size than the turn signal bulb. I removed on of the bulbs in the US version and the turn signal was as fast as the Euro thing.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to continue documenting...
It appears there is the infamous white wire coming off the brake system somewhere and going into the Body Control Module. According to the service manual there is logic to activate the turn signal wires when brakes are applied. I pulled the kick panel, and did not see the wire. As a guess at this point it may need a programmer to stop the outbound wires from the BCM, to deactivate the turn signals from coming on when the brakes are applied.
When I get more time, I will take a harder look at the wiring coming off the brake system to see what can be done.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 09-16-2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:20 PM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

Done. Cut the plug and build my own.

Problem was that the turn signal was too fast and it was also a breaklight.

Answer ask your friendly dealer for the Euro setup. Updated the softare last week. Turnsignal normal, breaklight function just for the breaklight not for the turn signal. And the best thing DRL are off.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

That certainly confirms the fact that the BCM is controlling the signal to the brake lights and the resistance to the turn signal.
How did you find out about the programming?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Vette owner wannabe
Instructor

Maybe this guys will help you. They have done the US to Euro conversion on the C6, since they import US specs Corvettes to Sweden.

You'll find their mail address on the bottom of the page.

http://www.vettesmaland.com

I only skimmed the posts, maybe I misread, but about "the brake to turn signal feed". Many new cars in Europe flash their turn signals (both left and right simultaneously) in addition to the brake lights, when you brake hard.

It's funny, in Europe people don't want the fugly amber turn signals, and sometimes tries to convert to US tail lights, although it's illegal... With one exception. Under special circumstances (which excludes commercial import) you may import a car to Sweden without conversion to Euro specs and without paying any taxes!!!. Some people will pay extra for these cars since they have US lights, and still are legal.

In fact, most newer Euro cars, and *** cars in Europe have white/clear covers on the turn signals, so that you will not see any "amber", until the turn signal is activated.

Good luck with your mod!

/

Last edited by Vette owner wannabe; 10-10-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

This was the only logical thing because I wanted to shut off the DRL this summer and the best way to do this use the Euro setup.
It worked fine but I lost my breaklights...mh...than I thought if I change the taillights to Euro with the different harness too it must work. ...than I tried it and everything works.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
allaboutz06
4th Gear

could you be more specific on that white wire i am having this problem on my c5
Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by allaboutz06
could you be more specific on that white wire i am having this problem on my c5
The C5 setup is a bit different than the C6. In the C5 there is a white wire under the front drivers side kick panel that needs to be cut, otherwise the lights in your turn signals will come on when you hit the brakes.
If you do a search on Euro taillights in the C5 section, there should be several posts that pop up.
The C6 appears to be a different type of setup from a brake/tail light perspective.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 AM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

My advise, go to the dealer and tell them you need the Euro setup.
In the manual you will see the harness goes thru the BCM that means the BCM is that part which is in charge for the lights too.

I had nothing to cut and my taillights work fine. The turn signal works normal like the US (not fast) the breaklight comes on without the turn signal and the DRL are off.

My problem is I look for the guy who told everyone, ..."buy the Euro harness...plug'n'play..." Not a word like different plug, software or so.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schwarzbart1

My problem is I look for the guy who told everyone, ..."buy the Euro harness...plug'n'play..." Not a word like different plug, software or so.
I am with you.....
I also wrote an email to the European firm, but have not received any answer. Oh well......
Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 PM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

To which european firm? I hope not to Chevy Europe or Kroymanns. These companies have no customer service...you know what I mean. The same thing than Chevy USA. The Corvette is a nice car but the company is a mess. Maybe I think German but that can not be the answer.

Quick Reply: Euro Tailights using Standard GM Parts doesn't work