C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranger into the 10's on DR's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
plenty of snide remarks thrown my way by waveblaster spread across half a dozen threads, which you apparently missed, giving the effect of diminishing a good pass, without any basis other than contrariness. Even the SVT and two viper boards were more supportive.

I was far more civil in my response than most would be. This is what I said:

Ranger
I didn't make any snide remarks. I just stated EXACTLY what is in this thread. I believe OTHERS were the ones becoming defensive, not myself, I was simply defending myself after I stated my opinion, an opinion that not everyone wanted to hear, but none the less, my opinion.

Aside from asking if you wanted to race my buddy's civic a while back, I've not even addressed you, nor have I said anything negative about YOU, maybe the fame of being an internet legend at www.corvetteforum.com has clouded your ability to interpret anything but worship.

Have a good one,
Ed
Old 11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveblaster785
I didn't make any snide remarks.

I've not even addressed you, nor have I said anything negative about YOU, maybe the fame of being an internet legend at www.corvetteforum.com has clouded your ability to interpret anything but worship.

Have a good one,
Ed
Here are a few snippets of what you wrote about my 10.85 pass in a bone-stock Z06 on DRs...

10s on DR's is impressive, but not THAT impressive, I know alot of, less than 400hp cars that go 10s all day on drs at 3000lbs. I also know of alot of camaros with LS2s that go deep in the 10s on DR. I think the DR element, and the incorporation of stock 460 rwhp makes it less impressive...My buddy's factory stock class 2v cobra went 11.15 the other night, 11.2's on DR. Car makes about 330rwhp, this is BONE stock motor specs, with some bolt ons and cams.

...In the mean time you can keep riding [Ranger’s] jock and you can kiss my *** if you think I'm gonna roll over on your say so.

I've met Ranger in person….we were at a corvette day so it was hard to get to him through all the autograph signing and so forth.

but [Ranger’s car] is not BONE stock, showroom stock. It's like saying that adding a tune isn't a mod because the car had a computer and a tune to begin with. You are upgrading a stock part, even if it's a tire.
And then there's your assertion in this thread that I got a 3.5 tenth bump by switching to different drag radials. Pretty reflective of a lack of understanding of the car and what the dynamic components of a pass are.

Nuff said.

Ranger
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

And then there's your assertion in this thread that I got a 3.5 tenth bump by switching to different drag radials. Pretty reflective of a lack of understanding of the car and what the dynamic components of a pass are.

Nuff said.

Ranger

Well, if they weren't helping, why are you using them??

I suggested you got a 3 tenth bump from your 11.2 to your 10.85, from stock tires to DRs. You went from a 1.8 to a 1.6, that's a 2 tenth drop, each tenth in the 60 is usually 1.5 or so up top. That equates to 3 tenths easily. How about the weight, less diameter, smaller wheel, lighter tire, that's less rotating mass, I'm sure that had no effect either.

The fact that NOW you want to play off your drag radials and pretend that they weren't the reason you are in the 10s is laughable. You haven't even backed it up on DR's and now you are acting like you can put down a 10 at will on Runflats. Give me a break, one 10 in 53 passes doesn't make your car a 10 second car, it makes it a car that has been a 10. You might be a legend in your own mind, but frankly I just think you're a little full of yourself and I'm not buying into the hype. So if you want to argue we can keep going back and forth, or maybe I'll see it with my own eyes the next time you TRAILER your car to the track.

There's a snide remark for you.

Last edited by Waveblaster785; 11-06-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Congrats Blaster you've made number four on my ignore list.

Ranger
Old 11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

Ranger
See you at the track??

You know the wonderful thing about the ignore feature, is anything that I want you to see....all I have to do is quote it.

Last edited by Waveblaster785; 11-06-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM
bojan
Instructor

Well, if they weren't helping, why are you using them??.

X10
Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
runwhatchabrung
Instructor

Ranger
can I be number 5? A little defensive aren't we? I think he hit it on the head. Your just mad hes not agreeing with you that your cars bone stock unless they came out with a option for drag radials that I was unaware of. Either way nice number.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
RDunn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one 10 in 53 passes doesn't make your car a 10 second car,
yes it does.the first time my camaro hit a 9 sec pass you bet your *** i changed to the 9 sec club avatar
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDunn
yes it does.the first time my camaro hit a 9 sec pass you bet your *** i changed to the 9 sec club avatar

According to most "associations" you have to back it up in the same day. Same with license passes and so forth, you have to back them up.

FWIW.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
RDunn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol this is one of those arguments that can never end...since both sides are kinda right

yes you can make the argument the car is stock.BUT you can also make the argument that its not

but really who gives a ****...is going bacck and forth over the internet really gonna solve anything(while it does make for good reading)..ive been enjoying all of it...still doesnt take away from the fact thats this is a great time
Old 11-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDunn
lol this is one of those arguments that can never end...since both sides are kinda right

yes you can make the argument the car is stock.BUT you can also make the argument that its not

but really who gives a ****...is going bacck and forth over the internet really gonna solve anything(while it does make for good reading)..ive been enjoying all of it...still doesnt take away from the fact thats this is a great time

No way man, pick a side, this a corvette mutiny.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plenty of snide remarks thrown my way by waveblaster spread across half a dozen threads, which you apparently missed, giving the effect of diminishing a good pass, without any basis other than contrariness. Even the SVT and two viper boards were more supportive.

I was far more civil in my response than most would be. This is what I said:

Ranger
Yes, I do not know the history here. Can't we all just get along?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, you might want to spend some time driving a 6-speed traction-limited stock car before offering too many conclusions about their performance.

Across 53 passes, I've worked the ET down through various weather conditions 11.31, 11.20, 11.10, 11.06, 10.85. What changed through that progression was my ability to understand the personality of the LS7, Torque Management, and the clutch. Every motor has a rhythm; to maximize its acceleration, the driver needs to internalize that rhythm to optimize shift-points. And practice gives dependable shifts in minimal time with the clutch in. It also gives improved launch with the right release and throttle squeeze.

So ascribing the root cause of my 10.85 to a tire change overlooks the several key components that actually made the pass. I've actually had several 1.6X 60' on my original DRs. So 1.67 on the 10.85 was not a first.

On other posts about the 10.85 you have also compared it unfavorably to friends of yours who race, omitting that they are driving race-specific modified cars optimized for the quarter-mile and, as such, capable of a hard launch. The C6Z is a street car geared to a top speed approaching 200, which was designed specifically to not make a hard launch.

If you have an interest in learning about the acceleration characteristics of Corvettes, you might benefit from studying the fast list at DragTimes dot com. That may give you insights that you lack from driving an auto tranny and a better understanding of where the C6Z fits in the pecking order of stock cars and race-prepped cars.

Just a thought.

Ranger
Ranger,
What would you recommend for launching a car in cool weather w/o drag radials? My car is a mostly stock C6 mn6 and it has been many moons since I have been at the track. My goal is to get the car into the high 12's just the way it is. I would appreciate your input.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Ranger,
What would you recommend for launching a car in cool weather w/o drag radials? My car is a mostly stock C6 mn6 and it has been many moons since I have been at the track. My goal is to get the car into the high 12's just the way it is. I would appreciate your input.
We're sorry, but the "Ask Ranger" line is temporarily unavailable while he get's his rest. Please try back again tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 PM
runwhatchabrung
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
We're sorry, but the "Ask Ranger" line is temporarily unavailable while he get's his rest. Please try back again tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

I don't care who you are....that's funny right thurrrr.

You're gonna need these to get in the 12s:

Get notified of new replies

To Ranger into the 10's on DR's

Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Ranger,
The decoy went to sleep. Ranger is still on patrol.

I carry a infrared temp gauge in my track bag and measure the race surface. The blacktop in the pits is generally within a few degrees of the track. If the launch surface is much below 60 degrees, then the EMT tires will support only a reduced launch rpm.

My recommendation is to hold the launch rpm, get the clutch out fast, and then and only then start the throttle squeeze to the floor. It cannot be fast in a single motion but progressive lest the rears be made to spin.

Start by dropping the rear psi to 26 hot in the lanes before the pass.

Make sure your coolant temp is below 195 when you pull up to the tree.

Ignore the car in the other lane and when the light turns green launch when you're ready.

The goal is to get down the track without missing any shifts or breaking anything. In that regard, if the wheels spin significantly on launch or the 1-2, back out of the throttle. Wheel hop is the killer to C6 rears.

Try to make the shifts without hitting the limiter. But a higher shift point is preferred to a short shift.

If you're just getting started making passes in the C6, I'd recommend against going to the track if it's cold. There are difficulties requiring finesse anytime but they are accentuated when the air temp is in the 50s and the track surface is below 60. EMTs can be a handful.

Finally, recommend you make the passes in Traction System-Off, that's one push of the button. Allows the rears to spin, but keeps Active Handling available to keep you off the wall in the even the rear gets loose. And if the rear does go left or right, back out of the throttle immediately. Even AH can't defy the laws of physics.

Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it goes.

Ranger
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 PM
SickRick
Drifting

IBTL...

Hey Ranger...

You found DR's in 19"?

Rick
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SickRick
IBTL...

Hey Ranger...

You found DR's in 19"?

Rick
None available in 19" and the selection in 18" is slim.

My 345.30.18 BFGs gave 30 passes and need replacement, at $270 apiece.

The 275.40.17 MT radials would be great with an aftermarket clutch, but are to much for the C6Z's LS7 clutch. Seems silly, since they were great on the C5Z with the LS6 clutch and 100 fewer rwhp.

For mine, I've settled on BFG 315.35.17s, at $160 apiece. Won't know their longevity until next year. But they're a solid reliable tires.

Ranger

Quick Reply: Ranger into the 10's on DR's