C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has an MTI 6 Shooter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Who has an MTI 6 Shooter?

I have read good things in the past about this shifter, what do you guys think, is it worth changing over from the stock shifter? Is it that much better?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:36 PM
vr6aaron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to know the same thing.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:08 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

ttt
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM
cielosf
Advanced

I've had mine for more than 6 months now. I can't speak for the other shifters out there but I flat out love this one. This shifter has a much more positive feel with shorter throws and not at all too stiff. I did wrap the threads with teflon tape and used loc-tite on the torx screw that holds the stock shift ****. I have no vibration or buzz whatsoever, some of what I'm hearing with the others. Go to MTI's web site and do a search on this forum to read a lot more. There doesn't seem to be a negative post. Works for C5, in which case the shifter is one inch shorter, and C6,Z06
Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 PM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

Location: The United States of TEXAS www.corvettemotorsportsinc.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by vr6aaron
Id like to know the same thing.

so there are 3 a/m short throws?
hurst
b/m
six shooter?
looks like the six shooter is the least expensive.
very curious of the comparison of the three
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 AM
cielosf
Advanced

I believe there are five.
Hurst
B/M
Six Shooter
Callaway
Kirban
The Callaway gets good write up's too.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:38 AM
wmhpmp
Cruising

Default It's all about how you use it...

I have the Six Shooter and am very pleased with it.

I wanted a shorter throw and after reviewing the posts and the designs of each shifter initially installed a Hurst. I wanted to keep the stock shift **** location but wanted a shorter, crisper throw. If I was racing and my wife never drove the car I would still have it. However, the effort was way too high for either daily driving or my wife's comfort.

The Six Shooter has a short throw and a little more effort is required than stock but I drive the car every day and it it a pleasure. One point of interest, an unplanned benefit, my hand naturally falls better onto the Six Shooter as I go from steering wheel to shifter and back. I have long arms and the straight stick works better for me.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by wmhpmp
I have the Six Shooter and am very pleased with it.

I wanted a shorter throw and after reviewing the posts and the designs of each shifter initially installed a Hurst. I wanted to keep the stock shift **** location but wanted a shorter, crisper throw. If I was racing and my wife never drove the car I would still have it. However, the effort was way too high for either daily driving or my wife's comfort.

The Six Shooter has a short throw and a little more effort is required than stock but I drive the car every day and it it a pleasure. One point of interest, an unplanned benefit, my hand naturally falls better onto the Six Shooter as I go from steering wheel to shifter and back. I have long arms and the straight stick works better for me.
I have had the B&M, Hurst and Callaway. The best of these was the hurst but the Six Shooter is night and day better than even the hurst. Feels like stock, much shorter throw and no buzz under WOT.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Do you have the new model that didnt require your core?

From what Ive been reading, the newer model seems to be prone to noise and vibration that wasnt there with the original model. Reese posted a thread and siad they werent sure why, but about half are reporting noise problems. I wonder if it is true, if it may have to do with the redesign not using the rubber piece around the base?

From the Z06 Forum:

Shifter rattle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in with an official responce.

We are getting a lot of varied feedback and it does'nt seem to have rhyme or reason.

Some shifters rattle, some do not.

Please note, I have driven lots of new C6 Z06's and bone stock THEY rattle!

GM went to a shorter throw, less free play design with the C6 and the noise/vibration is a by-product of making the shifter less of a damper.

It is consistant with the Six Shooter that the noise does settle down upon break-in.

Some report that it goes away all together, some not entirely.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. When you replace something rubbery with something that is precise and with less free play it only follows that the device can transmit more noise or vibration.

The Six Shooter Shifter was born out of a desire to find a precise, fast, low effort shift mechanism when none existed in the market place. It is a very good piece and we are still trying to improve it.

We have sold tons of these and the responce is overwhelmingly great.

We appreciate your feed back and will continue to try to make the Six Shooter Shifter the BEST Corvette shifter on the market.

Reese

Last edited by Craigster05; 12-25-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:06 PM
SBMtbiker
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I am thinking of getting one. Are you all caught up on orders or is there still a wait.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Do you have the new model that didnt require your core?

From what Ive been reading, the newer model seems to be prone to noise and vibration that wasnt there with the original model. Reese posted a thread and siad they werent sure why, but about half are reporting noise problems. I wonder if it is true, if it may have to do with the redesign not using the rubber piece around the base?

From the Z06 Forum:

Shifter rattle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in with an official responce.

We are getting a lot of varied feedback and it does'nt seem to have rhyme or reason.

Some shifters rattle, some do not.

Please note, I have driven lots of new C6 Z06's and bone stock THEY rattle!

GM went to a shorter throw, less free play design with the C6 and the noise/vibration is a by-product of making the shifter less of a damper.

It is consistant with the Six Shooter that the noise does settle down upon break-in.

Some report that it goes away all together, some not entirely.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. When you replace something rubbery with something that is precise and with less free play it only follows that the device can transmit more noise or vibration.

The Six Shooter Shifter was born out of a desire to find a precise, fast, low effort shift mechanism when none existed in the market place. It is a very good piece and we are still trying to improve it.

We have sold tons of these and the responce is overwhelmingly great.

We appreciate your feed back and will continue to try to make the Six Shooter Shifter the BEST Corvette shifter on the market.

Reese

I have had the six shooter in three different iterations including the first. I have never experienced any noise problem. The new shifter that does not require a core is very close to the first shifter but has a small piece that they used to require a scavenge from an oem shifter. Other than that there should be no change from the first shifter. It is tight, precise and quite. What more could you ask for!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBMtbiker
I am thinking of getting one. Are you all caught up on orders or is there still a wait.
You can give em a call but the last time I was there they had about 40 units available.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gorillavet
I have had the six shooter in three different iterations including the first. I have never experienced any noise problem. The new shifter that does not require a core is very close to the first shifter but has a small piece that they used to require a scavenge from an oem shifter. Other than that there should be no change from the first shifter. It is tight, precise and quite. What more could you ask for!
Delivery....
Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here-just anxiously awaiting delivery!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:20 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

gorilla, what made like the MTI over the Callaway?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by openhelix
gorilla, what made like the MTI over the Callaway?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one in my C5 '02 Z06 and really like it a lot. I replaced the Hurst shifter that I had put in originally with it. Much easier to work with.

Just a minor gripe, though. I sent back my original stock shifter and have NOT received the core charge yet. And this has been months ago. Emails are not being responded to.... YMMV, of course......

Get notified of new replies

To Who has an MTI 6 Shooter?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 AM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

how much shorter is the MTI throw???

Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlackMark
Same here-just anxiously awaiting delivery!
Yes, me too, but I dont have a good feeling.

My wife ordered the shifter for me a while back. She was told it was shipped begining of Dec. They didnt have the tracking number available at the time. Strange......

So far 4 phone messages and 3 e-mails over the last 3 weeks have gone un-answered. Credit Card was charged, product never arrived. A simple e-mail response with a tracking number or delay explanation is the least they could do.

As I browse the forums here and on other sites, it looks like Im not alone. Many people are complaining of no response, refunds for cores never happen, etc.

I am trying to be patient like many others, but it is the worst customer service Ive ever seen. I understand they have a small operation, but at least take a moment and have someone answer our contacts with a forum post or e-mail saying when they will at least plan on returning customer communications. Just ignoring your customers is no way to grow your business.

In my case, I know its only a shifter and at this point who knows if it is even worth the trouble. If they are this lacking in selling you the item, how will they be if you ever need help or support?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:44 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not encouraging at all.They could post on the Forum in just a moment,and we all would be informed at once on developments.

Quick Reply: Who has an MTI 6 Shooter?