C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Header install, would you...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 877 Likes on 400 Posts

Default Kooks Header install, would you...

have Kooks headers installed using the stock cats with no x-pipe??

Chevy dealer can install them using the existing cats and no x-pipe and claims no tune needed and no codes will be thrown. Price is $1,500 for headers shipped and installed.

The alternative is to use hi flow aftermarket cats, x-pipe (more $$) but also the tech. claims I would then need to get a tune to keep codes from being thrown which would cause it to fail PA OBDII emissions testing.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would they be able to use the stock cat? I would interested in doing the samething. Can the stock cat be used with LG header or just the Kook? Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a good idea but part of the gains from doing long tubes comes from using high flow (or none at all) cats in place of the more restrictive stock ones.
I would think using the above method would help (and might help in the event of an emissions spot inspection) but one is still leaving some potential gains on the table as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Sounds like a good idea but part of the gains from doing long tubes comes from using high flow (or none at all) cats in place of the more restrictive stock ones.
I would think using the above method would help (and might help in the event of an emissions spot inspection) but one is still leaving some potential gains on the table as well.
Here in Ca emissions is my main concern. Does anyone know how much hp would be lost by using the stock cat?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Default News flash!!!

It's a federal violation to move the cats from there location in which they were certified. Your dealer is full of crap. I don't think he wants to be hit with a large federal fine for tampering with the cats.

andreas g.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I installed the kooks LT, x-pipe and hi flo cats, B&B route 66 cat backs.. No codes appeared. Then I installed the Vortex ram air. Still no codes appeared. Finally prior to installing 4.10 gears,. Chuck cow performed a lap top tune and showed me the parameters, and he clearly showed me via his lap top, that I was on the verge certain codes appearing.

So just because the codes don't appear, it doesn't mean that all is fine and dandy with the motor, nor does it mean that it is running efficiently. If you install headers only, don't worry about codes. At any rate I would do full exhaust and tune, if I was you, and if headers only, I would still do a tune.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by andreas g.
It's a federal violation to move the cats from there location in which they were certified. Your dealer is full of crap.
True, even in keeping OEM cats but simply moving them is technically illegal, moving stock cats is likely no more legal than installing high flow cats in a position other than stock. In fact, I would bet that installing aftermarket high flow cats in the stock cat location (not possible with long tubes of course) would more legal than having the factory/OEM cats in a 'non stock' location LOL.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

The stock Cats will not work with the kooks !!!
I have the kooks setup
Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

(always wanted to use that )

You also shouldn't have any codes after installing this package. The complete package is the way to go.

Tom
Old 03-06-2007, 07:43 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by burtonbl103

the dealer is full of $hit and has never done it to know better.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas g.
It's a federal violation to move the cats from there location in which they were certified. Your dealer is full of crap. I don't think he wants to be hit with a large federal fine for tampering with the cats.

andreas g.
Except, If they are damaged or you have cause to believe they are faulty. Hmmm, damaged?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
I have the kooks setup
The OEM cats are so large there would be no room for them underneath the car after you install long tube headers.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
The OEM cats are so large there would be no room for them underneath the car after you install long tube headers.
And thats assuming that anyone would even go to the effort to cut them off from the original hardware.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
opus1111
Pro

Originally Posted by glennhl
Second that. Dude, assuming you're after performance with the headers installation, you're going to want the tune!! You'll see as much performance gain (not just peak hp/tq- throttle response, etc. too!) from the tune as with the headers, probably more from the tune assuming it's a quality one.

My Kooks LTs w/ HF cats and xpipe should be here tomorrow!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Except, If they are damaged or you have cause to believe they are faulty.
Yes but even then they'd still have to be OEM style (or actual OEM) put back in the stock location...this all based on one wanting to remain 100% legal of course.
I have yet to hear of anyone getting in trouble for having aftermarket cats on their vehicle though, be they in the stock location or otherwise.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
have Kooks headers installed using the stock cats with no x-pipe??

Chevy dealer can install them using the existing cats and no x-pipe and claims no tune needed and no codes will be thrown. Price is $1,500 for headers shipped and installed.

The alternative is to use hi flow aftermarket cats, x-pipe (more $$) but also the tech. claims I would then need to get a tune to keep codes from being thrown which would cause it to fail PA OBDII emissions testing.

Any advice is appreciated.
After that type of expense on a set of parts I would want to get the most out of it. You should really look into a tune for the setup. When done right you gain more than just an increase in Hp on the dyno, but also performance through the reduction of torque management. We do this install all the time, give us a call and we'll be more than happy to run you through all the options and costs.

Max
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes but even then they'd still have to be OEM style (or actual OEM) put back in the stock location...this all based on one wanting to remain 100% legal of course.
I have yet to hear of anyone getting in trouble for having aftermarket cats on their vehicle though, be they in the stock location or otherwise.
They don't have to be exact, but meet or exceed OEM specs. However, the aftermarket cats come in all different shapes and may be difficult or impossible to install in the stock location.
So to your point, "I have yet to hear of anyone getting in trouble for having aftermarket cats on their vehicle though, be they in the stock location or otherwise." I completely agree.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks Header install, would you...

Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock cats won't fit. Use the high flows and get a tune. The car will pass the sniff test for smog and most places won't even notice that the cats have been relocated.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I have the kooks with x-pipe high flow cats. I was throwing codes until I found some o2 simulators and had cbrf4i1, a fellow forum member, tamper with them and modify them. Now, no codes!!!!!!!!
By the way, I cannot see how your dealer shop would be able to fit the headers and the original cats . BUT if they are willing to install the headers with the x-pipe for you GREAT, then no chance of them giving you crap about warranty issues.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 PM
0GANGSTERMIKE
Former Vendor

I agree. Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester installs LG longtubes all the time, and with the header package comes the high flow cats. It is alway's a good idea when doing headers to get a good tune. After the headers, although with a stock tune you may not throw any codes right away, your air flow tables in the pcm will be off (now your car is breathing alot better) and a good tune can add much more power than just headers alone. Plus, your car will be fully optomized and SAFE!! Just make sure you go to a good tuner (like Chuck at COW!!!! )

Quick Reply: Kooks Header install, would you...