C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered Honker.. Exhaust+Headers question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
MN_VETTEz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Honker.. Exhaust+Headers question

I've owned my C6 Manual Vert since August of 06' and the Honker will be my FIRST mod.

I only plan on doing the following: CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Short Throw. Also maybe some synthetic trans fluid and that car insulation kit.

So with that said I plan on using 1 3/4 headers. I would like a quiet drone free cruising speed for the wife and 2 year old so I think I'm going with Corsa touring exhaust.

Headers I'm undecided on but I'm leaning towards Kooks LT with the off road pipe.

Does this combo sound like it will be too loud with the off road pipe? Should I get the catted x pipe?

I want the most horsepower with the least drone at cruising, but still want it to sound like it's got some nuts at WOT.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Ultimate CC
Pro

i would do headers, cai and tune over a catback...esp if you want quieter...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MN_VETTEz
I've owned my C6 Manual Vert since August of 06' and the Honker will be my FIRST mod.

I only plan on doing the following: CAI, Headers, Exhaust, Short Throw. Also maybe some synthetic trans fluid and that car insulation kit.

So with that said I plan on using 1 3/4 headers. I would like a quiet drone free cruising speed for the wife and 2 year old so I think I'm going with Corsa touring exhaust.

Headers I'm undecided on but I'm leaning towards Kooks LT with the off road pipe.

Does this combo sound like it will be too loud with the off road pipe? Should I get the catted x pipe?

I want the most horsepower with the least drone at cruising, but still want it to sound like it's got some nuts at WOT.
I just had Kooks LT w/cats installed. I also have Borla Stingers and a cam. I can tell you that the car is loud and probably not what you want for your 2 year old. I'm not sure on the Corsas but if you want HP and sound without it being too loud. Go with just the headers w/cats, no Corsas. You'll get the power and the sound but it shouldn't be too bothersome for the family. Plus you'll save yourself $1500+
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

I would get an intermediate X-pipe with cats if I wanted to keep the noise level and drone down.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

save your money on the cat back, it around $1000 for sound, many have headers w stock cat back with no drone.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
MN_VETTEz
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
save your money on the cat back, it around $1000 for sound, many have headers w stock cat back with no drone.
Thanks for all of the replies. Seems unanimous that I should nix the exhaust and stay stock. I recently saw some video's on this forum of headers and stock exhaust and I wasn't all that impressed. I am impressed with the sound clips on corsa's site. I think I will just order up some headers and catted x pipe and see if I like it. Maybe see if the wife wouldn't mind going louder after the headers are on.

Anyone know how much I can expect in HP and TQ with the honker, headers and stock exhaust and a tune.

My buddy just got his 383 stroker for his 88 camaro vert, it's got 440 tq at the fly and I am a little worried that just headers, tune and stock exhaust would be a little too close of a match.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 PM
jbusmc1986
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

you will gain little to no power from a catback
Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 PM
MN_VETTEz
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbusmc1986
you will gain little to no power from a catback
Ahhh ok. Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by MN_VETTEz
Anyone know how much I can expect in HP and TQ with the honker, headers and stock exhaust and a tune.

My buddy just got his 383 stroker for his 88 camaro vert, it's got 440 tq at the fly and I am a little worried that just headers, tune and stock exhaust would be a little too close of a match.
you will be around 370/370 rwhp/rwtq without a tune. with a tune that would depends on if you have 93 octane gas or not and who is your tuner. they are not all alike.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
MN_VETTEz
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
you will be around 370/370 rwhp/rwtq without a tune. with a tune that would depends on if you have 93 octane gas or not and who is your tuner. they are not all alike.
Sounds good. We do have 93 octane here in Minnnesota and I haven't found a tuner yet. There is a local forum with some reccomendations for tuners.
Also I'm going to order Cory Harris ported TB and intake manifold; it seems some other's have great results with his work.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
fright88
Safety Car

I suggest getting a cated mid pipe. My stingers and kooks with cats have a bit of drone. My fiance likes it as do I but this setup is not quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To Just ordered Honker.. Exhaust+Headers question

Quick Reply: Just ordered Honker.. Exhaust+Headers question