C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Sensors and TPMS - Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Bob sleeps with a sensor under his pillow

Ha Ha, hi Bob
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks for this. I read it just before I was about to back over my TPMS tool
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
PharmZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I show the current sensors that require a radio frequency transmission from an electronic tool.
Just so no one else will be as confused as I became with the 'frequency transmission' items, the 'electronic tool' transmits at 125 kHz, but the sensors transmit at 315 MHz.

Bob: Please correct me if I am wrong!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by PharmZ
Just so no one else will be as confused as I became with the 'frequency transmission' items, the 'electronic tool' transmits at 125 kHz, but the sensors transmit at 315 MHz.

PharmZ....what is the story with your avatar???

sorry for the hijack...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

That's correct - at least for U.S./Canada cars the sensors transmit on 315 MHz.

C6's built to Euro specs have a different TPMS that has a receiver that requires a sensor that transmits on 434 MHz.

Some other countries require sensors to transmit on 834 or 915 MHz (I think some Asian countries).

If a transmission from a tool is required to trigger them, they will all generally be triggered by a 125 KHz frequency transmission from the tool.

And, of course, the sensors used in the 2010 and newer C6 can be triggered by changing air pressure in the tire, so a tool isn't required at all.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-18-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Bob sorry for an off topic question, but the answer will likely help many and you just may know it.

When I rotated my tires on my Honda Odyssey I asked the dealer if I needed to have my sensors reprogrammed. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads and I did not get a straight answer. I actually think they did reprogram themselves but can't understand how that happened. I sold the car and can't say this with 100% confidence and I've never tested it with my new Pilot.

Do "regular cars" with the same size tires, specifically Hondas, automatically update the tire position?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 AM
PharmZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe_G
PharmZ....what is the story with your avatar???

sorry for the hijack...
Caught a little wheel hop on the way to work one morning...

Actually, it's Jan Magnussen on one of his first Z06 runs on the Nurburgring. Here's a higher resolution image:

http://janmagnussen.com/Gallery/2005.../381583911.jpg
Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Caught a little wheel hop on the way to work one morning...

Actually, it's Jan Magnussen on one of his first Z06 runs on the Nurburgring. Here's a higher resolution image:

http://janmagnussen.com/Gallery/2005.../381583911.jpg
Thats cool!! Thanks for the link!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
PharmZ
Advanced

Many thanks to Bob for all the GREAT information on this topic. It can be a very confounding subject, but I got more information here than anywhere else!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

PharmZ....what is the story with your avatar??? sorry for the hijack...
LoRider C6.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Bob sorry for an off topic question, but the answer will likely help many and you just may know it.

When I rotated my tires on my Honda Odyssey I asked the dealer if I needed to have my sensors reprogrammed. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads and I did not get a straight answer. I actually think they did reprogram themselves but can't understand how that happened. I sold the car and can't say this with 100% confidence and I've never tested it with my new Pilot.

Do "regular cars" with the same size tires, specifically Hondas, automatically update the tire position?
Hi Joe

You can see the sensor ID#'s on the C6 sensors made by Schrader in the picture below - each sensor has a unique number, and it's displayed by barcode and the actual number below:

Honda sensors are made by TRW or Pacific, but they all have a unique number to identify them.

When we put the C6 into the learn mode and then go around the car and trigger a sensor, the sensor sends out its data and the ID# of the first sensor triggered is logged into the TPMS memory as the one for the Left Front tire. When we continue around the car, the second sensor triggered and that sends out its info is logged in as the RF, the third as the RR, and the last one as the LR.

However, I believe that for a Honda, the tech must use an HDS tool (the Honda tool similar to the GM Tech 2) to not only put the car into the learn mode, but also they must write down the ID# of each sensor and note which wheel it is in, then manually type in each of the ID#'s on the tool to load each number into the TPMS memory in the correct location where it's mounted (LF, RR, etc.).

So...I'm not sure, but I don't think you'll be able to reprogram Honda sensors yourself unless you have an HDS. I guess they want you to visit your Honda dealer for routine tire rotations or after replacement of any sensors - job protection, eh??

Bob
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Bob, I figured you would know.....you are THE MAN when it comes to all things TPMS.

Thanks for the answer. I threw caution to the wind and just rotated my tires on my own. The new Pilot has regular tires so if any show up as low, I'll just measure all - old school.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
PharmZ
Advanced

Default No problems!

Thanks to Bob and all the other great information out there, I FINALLY got my new wheels on. After being frustrated with excessive tread wear on my old tires, trying to figure out how to use my new jack, and trying to figure out WHERE to place my new jack (thanks 3LZZ06), I was delighted that activating the new TPMS sensors LITERALLY took less than a minute! I was sure that was going to be the biggest issue, but, as usual, I was wrong!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM
tjkzo6
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yes, that's correct!! And you don't use the DIC buttons to put the car into the learn mode.

And, I'm trying to get a 2010 or newer to make another video of how to register the sensors on a 2010+ C6 without a tool.

The 2005-2009 sensors require a tool like in the videos to trigger them.

However, in 2010 a different TPMS computer (actually a part of the RCDLR module) was put in the C6, and it requires different sensors than were used in the earlier C6's. They are actually sensors that have been used in Impalas and several other GM vehicles for several years.

With a 2010 or newer, you don't need a tool - you can trigger the sensors during the relearn procedure by changing air pressure in the tire.

Unfortunately, the 2010+ sensors won't work in a 2005-2009 C6, and the 2005-2009 sensors won't work in a 2010 or newer.

If you get a new set of sensors, make sure you get the correct ones for your model year.

If you buy a set of wheels with tires and sensors already mounted, if they aren't the correct sensors for your model year they just won't work.

Bob
Thanks Bob,

Very informative post. Quick question, I've purchased 2011 ZR1 wheels & TPM for my 2007 Z06, in order to get the TPMS to work in my car I'll need the correct year series for the 2006 - 2009 then?

Do I have this right so far? And will any TPM from the 2006 - 2009 series work correctly in my 2007 Z?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
TJ
Old 06-16-2013, 01:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tjkzo6
Thanks Bob,

Very informative post. Quick question, I've purchased 2011 ZR1 wheels & TPM for my 2007 Z06, in order to get the TPMS to work in my car I'll need the correct year series for the 2006 - 2009 then?

Do I have this right so far? And will any TPM from the 2006 - 2009 series work correctly in my 2007 Z?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
TJ

All 2005-2009 C6 Vettes use a gray peanut shaped sensor, GM part# 25758220:

Well....all U.S./Canada cars use that gray sensor; Euro spec C6's built for delivery in Europe use a different sensor.

Our OE sensors are made by Schrader, but there are some aftermarket ones that will work also.

So.....that's what you need for your 2007, that gray sensor.

Starting in the 2010 model year they changed the TPMS in the car and it requires a different sensor than for the 2005-2009, so the sensors in your 2011 ZR1 wheels won't work in your 2007.

You'll need to get new sensors, then they will need to be programmed into the TPMS computer memory in the car. The TPMS memory can only hold 4 sensor ID#'s, so every time you swap wheels you'll need to program in the new set of sensors.

You'll need a TPMS tool to trigger the sensors during the relearn (programming) procedure.

Actually, there are some newer sensors that can be "cloned". They can be cloned with the ID# to match the sensors in your original wheels, so you wouldn't need to do any relearn procedure at all - just swap wheels and drive. Both sets of wheels would have essentially identical sensors.

Most tire shops are getting these new sensors. That way they don't need a huge inventory of dozens of different sensors for all different makes and models of vehicles - they can just have a smaller supply of these cloneable ones and match them up to what's in most any different vehicle.

BTW, since the info was posted in this old thread, we've come to find that in Jan 2011 they changed the sensor they are installing on the assembly line.

In an earlier post I said that in a 2010 or newer C6 you didn't need a TPMS tool to do the relearn procedure - you could trigger the sensors by changing pressure in the tire, or by a TPMS tool. It is a green sensor:

However, in Jan 2011 they started putting in a different sensor that can only be triggered by the signal transmitted by a TPMS tool - it's a black sensor:

The TPMS computer in all 2010-2013 C6 Vettes is the same, and all those model years will use either the green sensor that can triggered by a TPMS tool or by changing air pressure, or the black sensor that can only be triggered by a TPMS tool.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tray911 (05-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors and TPMS - Videos