C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

general question about engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Hops_C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general question about engine sound

Ok, I've got very general technical question about engine sound. The other day, once again a s2000 tries to race me. I didn't race, but as he took off I thought of how much more I appreciate the deeper sound of a V8 vs. higher pitch sounding inline 4. And then I thought about rpm's and power strokes. With one revolution of the crankshaft, the v8 , on average goes through 4 power strokes, and the 4 cylinder gets just two bangs, right? So, a v8 at 6.5k rpm will be going through as many power strokes as a four cylinder at 13K rpm!!! I'm guessing then the frequency I'm hearing is NOT the power strokes, but something to do with the size of the chamber where the sound in produced, is that right?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 PM
opus1111
Pro

Originally Posted by Hops_C6
Ok, I've got very general technical question about engine sound. The other day, once again a s2000 tries to race me. I didn't race, but as he took off I thought of how much more I appreciate the deeper sound of a V8 vs. higher pitch sounding inline 4. And then I thought about rpm's and power strokes. With one revolution of the crankshaft, the v8 , on average goes through 4 power strokes, and the 4 cylinder gets just two bangs, right? So, a v8 at 6.5k rpm will be going through as many power strokes as a four cylinder at 13K rpm!!! I'm guessing then the frequency I'm hearing is NOT the power strokes, but something to do with the size of the chamber where the sound in produced, is that right?
Wow, you've got your thinking cap on, and you're right about the power strokes per crank rev, but I think the pitch difference and tone quality of the engine/exhaust note is primarily due to the engine config (V8 vs I4) and exhaust system design (single collector, dual-H, dual-X, dual-unconnected). V8 muscle!!!!!!!!! I do love a I4 sport bike sound through headers and aftermarket exhaust turning 14K rpm, though.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 PM
opus1111
Pro

Hey, another example- the Viper sounds like a chain saw to me, especially in the late 90's configs w/ unconnected sidepipes (or whenever that was, I'm sure someone will correct me) of that ***-sounding V-10... More cylinders does not equal better sound. Depends on config. V-12 on the other hand sounds orgasmic in any car I've heard. Go figure.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A big V8 has a deeper sound because of the size of the cylinders (and the firing order).
Viper V10’s firing order causes that droning sound. (I think)
A V12 sounds so good because the cylinders are (generally) small and a V12 (generally) revs higher that a big V8.
4 cylinder ricers (generally) have small engines and smaller cylinders and (generally) rev much higher that big V8s.
600cc sport bikes can sound wonderful with the right pipes, they rev to 15 – 17000 rpms.
A V8 that can rev to 10,000rpms or so sounds great.

Get notified of new replies

To general question about engine sound

Quick Reply: general question about engine sound