C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 replacement tires

My C6 needs new rubber soon, should I get the run-flats that came stock or I was thinking of maybe going with BF Goodrich KD-W's, my C6 is mainly driven in the summer and I may track the car a couple of times a year, which tires are the best for the C6 guys?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumhawk
My C6 needs new rubber soon, should I get the run-flats that came stock or I was thinking of maybe going with BF Goodrich KD-W's, my C6 is mainly driven in the summer and I may track the car a couple of times a year, which tires are the best for the C6 guys?
I kind of like the runflats for the rim saving. If your tires are non runflat, if you go very far at all on a flat. Your rim is gone too.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-15-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Run flats can help keep the car under control if you have a blow out at speed. Since that means they could save my bacon and others, I'll be going with them again.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a blowout at speed - about 80 mph on a crowded expressway. I ran over a piece of steel that punctured the sidewall, so it was a sudden, complete loss of air. I was in the middle lane, with cars all around me. I heard the blowout and could feel a very slight tug in the steering wheel. The warning came on the dash. But the car was totally controllable, and I was able to proceed to the dealer for a fix.

When it came time to replace the itres, I went with the Firestone runflats, and am quite happy. I was considering the KD-W's or some other non-runflat tire, but after the blowout, I would never run anything except runflats.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 AM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Road debris is not exactly an improving problem these days either.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

KDW2s are great. Also look at Firestone Wide Ovals. In any event get them from Tire Rack.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

I do not need new tires on my car yet but was thinking the same thoughts as you. What I decided was that I would go with runflats again, just might purchase a different brand. The reason? With no jack or spare tire, how could you move the car or get to a repair shop if you suddenly find yourself with a flat - either blowout or coming upon your car in a parking lot or at home?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:11 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

I got tired of $1900 price tag for Goodyear supercar tires for my z51 C6, so I went for the Firestone firehawk RFT. There a great tire. They ride smooth no road noise. They handle just as good as the goodyears. There even a little wider in back even though there the same size as the goodyears. As for traction, well with 525rwhp I really couldn't tell you, but for high speed stability there right there. Oh BTW they were $1034 out the door. No issues!!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say Toyo R888
Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
HemiSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
Run flats can help keep the car under control if you have a blow out at speed. Since that means they could save my bacon and others, I'll be going with them again.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 PM
HemiSport
Advanced

also someone told me (notice the someone told me) tire rack has them for $275 a piece.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:35 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

gently letting off the gas and not overreacting will save you with a blow out. 99% of the cars on the road don't have runflats and, aside from Ford Exploders, they aren't all crashing.

If you track the car, I run Falken GR2s for the track, but I think they have been superseded. The KDWs would be good too, but runflats and road courses really don't mix.

I had a blowout in my mom's Datsun when I was in College 20 years ago, but other than that, I've never had a flat that left me completely stranded. I run PS2s for the street, and am very happy with them. If I get stuck one day, then I will call 1-800-CHEV-USA.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 PM
sync
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andreas g.
I got tired of $1900 price tag for Goodyear supercar tires for my z51 C6, ...
It is interesting that z51 tires are 200-300 more expensive than z06 tires. Are there more z06s sold than z51s?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
KDW2s are great. Also look at Firestone Wide Ovals. In any event get them from Tire Rack.
Ya I buy my rubber off tire rack but still haven't decided between the KD-W's and runflats, I only track the C6 a couple of times per year so it boils down to safety or better traction the few days I need it.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
gently letting off the gas and not overreacting will save you with a blow out. 99% of the cars on the road don't have runflats and, aside from Ford Exploders, they aren't all crashing.

If you track the car, I run Falken GR2s for the track, but I think they have been superseded. The KDWs would be good too, but runflats and road courses really don't mix.

I had a blowout in my mom's Datsun when I was in College 20 years ago, but other than that, I've never had a flat that left me completely stranded. I run PS2s for the street, and am very happy with them. If I get stuck one day, then I will call 1-800-CHEV-USA.
What do PS2's go for?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot

yes, you're right. but on I355 here in Illinois, the traffic moves at 80 mph almost like a NASCAR restrictor plate draft. If you suddenly lift, or brake, there is a chance of a rear ender. Also, here in Illinois, land of two seasons - winter and road repair - the wet/slush/snow is also a factor. I agree with you. Good driving always helps. As an EMT, I have seen my share of bad results on the road. As a past SCCA division champ, I have had my share of high speed driving. As a pilot, I like to have all the safety backups I can get. Mix the three, and runflats are the answer. IMHO But that's why they make both. Whatever you decide, drive safe and happy
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM
KenC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
and emsguy has experienced this . This should be enough to convince just about anyone for on-highway driving.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 replacement tires

Quick Reply: C6 replacement tires