C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire ran-flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire ran-flat

My C6 indicated tire pressure low so I tried to add air but my run-flat wouldn't take any and now it indicates a flat tire, probably a slow leak but why wouldn't it take air, valve problem maybe and do I have to fix the run-flat immediately? Maybe it can be plugged but I don't want to buy another run-flat from the dealership as I need new tires soon anyways, advice please.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed on one of my tires once that I had to press down really hard with the air hose to engage the tire valve. I picked up a nail and was able to put air in it and drive it to Discount Tires. They removed and patched the tire. You can drive it flat 50 mph for 100 miles. They repaired it for free but I've heard that some are charging as high as $60-75 to repair a run flat.........
Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I let the airless run-flat sit for awhile in my garage or will it damage the rim? It doesn't look flat at all so I assume I can let it sit till I install new tires since it can be driven anyways?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
I noticed on one of my tires once that I had to press down really hard with the air hose to engage the tire valve. I picked up a nail and was able to put air in it and drive it to Discount Tires. They removed and patched the tire. You can drive it flat 50 mph for 100 miles. They repaired it for free but I've heard that some are charging as high as $60-75 to repair a run flat.........

yes they are hard to add air too, certain air chucks work better than others
Old 11-08-2007, 06:50 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Drumhawk
Can I let the airless run-flat sit for awhile in my garage or will it damage the rim? It doesn't look flat at all so I assume I can let it sit till I install new tires since it can be driven anyways?
You should be o.k. for a few days.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
TroutfishinEMT
Safety Car

Stealership charged me 50 bucks to repair a run-flat on my Z51.

Wasn't happy, but some tire places are not cool with patching/plugging ANY performance tire, especially the RFs.

I'm replacing the GY's with Kumhos, when they wear out, fwiw - run-flat my ***.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Try removing the valve core and overinflating- that way, when you put the core back in (while air is rushing out), you can just bleed down to where you need to be.

Regardless of how the tire may look, and I dont' have experience with the RF's, letting it sit with no pressure/low pressure may result in a flat spot, which will rattle your teeth loose until you've driven a few miles.

I'd get it aired up asap, personally.

Good luck with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire ran-flat

Quick Reply: Tire ran-flat