C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you torque the caliper bolts too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM
carnut2912
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you torque the caliper bolts too?

Was getting ready to change my rotors and brake pads and just wondered what I need to torque the caliper bolts too? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tight!

Ok, kidding aside, the bolts that hold the caliper to their mounting bracket call for 23 ft. lbs. Some blue loctite would be a good idea as well.

Thanks to David Farmer in posting the torque info for all of us.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut2912
Was getting ready to change my rotors and brake pads and just wondered what I need to torque the caliper bolts too? Thanks in advance.
Check out:

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/

What bolts are you talking about?

If you're talking about the bolts the hold the caliper onto the bracket (the "caliper bolts"), Miaugi's recommendation is a little light!

The caliper bolts should be torqued to 129 lb-ft.

If you're talking about the "caliper guide pin bolts", then 23 lb-ft is a good number.

Bob
Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Check out:

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/

What bolts are you talking about?

If you're talking about the bolts the hold the caliper onto the bracket (the "caliper bolts"), Miaugi's recommendation is a little light!

The caliper bolts should be torqued to 129 lb-ft.

If you're talking about the "caliper guide pin bolts", then 23 lb-ft is a good number.

Bob
Hi Bob, "the bolts the hold the caliper onto the bracket" are indeed the "caliper guide pin bolts" and 23 ft. lbs. is correct.

The 129 ft. lbs (actually 125 ft. lbs.) is for the "front brake caliper mounting bracket bolt" or in short, is for the large bolts that bolt this bracket onto the car. This bracket is only be removed when changing the rotors.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Hi Bob, "the bolts the hold the caliper onto the bracket" are indeed the "caliper guide pin bolts" and 23 ft. lbs. is correct.

The 129 ft. lbs (actually 125 ft. lbs.) is for the "front brake caliper mounting bracket bolt" or in short, is for the large bolts that bolt this bracket onto the car. This bracket is only be removed when changing the rotors.
Right you are - I just changed my Z06 rotors/pads and 129 is the spec for the Z06 caliper bolts, but 125 is for the regular C6 caliper bolts.

Bob
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! That was extremely helpful. Printed it out and the wife and I will memorize it tonight.

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Get notified of new replies

To What do you torque the caliper bolts too?

Quick Reply: What do you torque the caliper bolts too?