C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullets with PRT center section?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bullets with PRT center section?

I'm looking for an exhaust for my daily driver (05 M6). It needs to sound good, but needs to be fairly subdued when cruising for my commute to work and needs to be quiet enough not to wake-up the neighbours when I come home late, etc. So, Bullets on their own are out. I DID have a used Corsa Sport system lined-up, but the sale fell through. Maybe a good thing, as many people have said the Corsas are TOO quiet (which is why Corsa brought-out the Extreme, I guess).

My question is, how are the Bullets with the PRT center section? Is there drone with this combo? How is the volume level in comparison to Corsas and Stingers?

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...my friend has this setup. First of all, bullets alone drone like crazy. It sounds louder inside the car than it does outside the car. Second, with the PRT section it STILL DRONES. Not quite as much, but it still does, it's just a small improvement. Let me put it to you this way, when hes talkin to me on his cell phone while he's driving, I can HEAR the drone on my phone..and its still very pronounced.

What other mods do you have on your car? If it's stocl, then go with the Borla stingers. This is THE BEST exhaust for a stock car. The idle is deep but not too loud, a really nice rumble during cruise, And a terrific, beautiful, orgasmic wail at WOT. In the neighborhood, if you are light on the pedal you can keep the volume very low. If you have headers, cam, or anything more than that on your car, then the stingers are too much. They sound awesome for sure, but too loud too keep it quiet when you need to, and you will have drone issues. If you are modded, go with either Borla Touring, or try the NPP system.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jogar80
Ok...my friend has this setup. First of all, bullets alone drone like crazy. It sounds louder inside the car than it does outside the car. Second, with the PRT section it STILL DRONES. Not quite as much, but it still does, it's just a small improvement. Let me put it to you this way, when hes talkin to me on his cell phone while he's driving, I can HEAR the drone on my phone..and its still very pronounced.

What other mods do you have on your car? If it's stocl, then go with the Borla stingers. This is THE BEST exhaust for a stock car. The idle is deep but not too loud, a really nice rumble during cruise, And a terrific, beautiful, orgasmic wail at WOT. In the neighborhood, if you are light on the pedal you can keep the volume very low. If you have headers, cam, or anything more than that on your car, then the stingers are too much. They sound awesome for sure, but too loud too keep it quiet when you need to, and you will have drone issues. If you are modded, go with either Borla Touring, or try the NPP system.
Thanks very much for the info... interesting. Yea, I had Stingers on my C5 and they were just about perfect; bearable on long journies, but great sound when opening the taps. Trouble is, Stingers on the C6 aren't exactly cheap!

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

P.S.

In regards to how bullets/prt compare to the others...again, it all depends on whether or not your car is stock.

If you are stock, the corsa is a waste of money. Just about as quiet as the oem mufflers. The bullets are much louder than this. If you have even just headers though, the Corsas are pretty cool. Still quiet at cruise and idle, and they scream, and I mean SCREAM at WOT. Only downside is that there is no bass in the sound. It's very high pitched.

Bullets with prt are close to Borla stingers on a stock car as far as sound vloume. The bullets still exhibit more drone than the stingers though, and the tonal quality of the Borla system is much more pleasing IMO.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by i_york
.... Trouble is, Stingers on the C6 aren't exactly cheap!

Cheers,
Ian.
Very true. You should try to find them on the parts section, there have been several sets available for much less than new. Don't know how much shipping to you would be, but I guess it should still be better than buying new.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jogar80
P.S.

In regards to how bullets/prt compare to the others...again, it all depends on whether or not your car is stock.

If you are stock, the corsa is a waste of money. Just about as quiet as the oem mufflers. The bullets are much louder than this. If you have even just headers though, the Corsas are pretty cool. Still quiet at cruise and idle, and they scream, and I mean SCREAM at WOT. Only downside is that there is no bass in the sound. It's very high pitched.

Bullets with prt are close to Borla stingers on a stock car as far as sound vloume. The bullets still exhibit more drone than the stingers though, and the tonal quality of the Borla system is much more pleasing IMO.
Yea, I'm 100% stock at the moment, although I have a Vortex Rammer intake sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me to fit it. Oh, and a B&M shifter on order. Don't plan on doing headers anytime soon.

Sounds like Corsas would be too mild. In relative terms, I'm probably looking for twice as loud as stock at idle, as quiet as possible when cruising or driving with a v.light throttle and loud (obviously) at WOT. I actually love the pop and crackle that some people seem to fit X-pipes to try and 'fix', so that would be a bonus, too (my old Stingers on the C5 did that trick nicely).

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i_york,

Have you taken a look at our new FUSION for the C6. The retro kit we now have available comes with everything you need to convert your car over to a Bi-modal exhaust. Yet get the agressive exhaust note of the Bullet when you want and the mild note of the Rt.66 when you need it all at the push of a button. Send me a PM, email me at mark@bbexhaust.com or give me a call at 888-228-7435 Ext.18 if you have any questions.

Mark Fowler
Billy Boat Performance Exhaust
Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
wormie
Advanced

i jsut installed my bullet prt's yesterday and got to drive it some before it rained today.i love them not only was the fit excellent but they sound awsome and to get sound your gonna get some drone its just a matter of how much.i personally thank these are perfect for me.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the Bullet PRT for two years. It drones. With manual you can control it somewhat. It's worse under accel at low rpm. Tends to go away at high rpm. It has a great sound at idle. Deep muscle car rumble and great decel burble. Not loud enough at WOT. Corsa is too quiet at idle but sounds good at WOT but it's too high pitched for me. So, I'm not aware of any perfect solution for C6. Everything is a compromise. If straight Bullet didn't have any drone then that would be perfect for me.

Last edited by goatts; 03-08-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bullets with PRT center section?

Quick Reply: Bullets with PRT center section?