C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Manifolds Vs LG pro Long tubes Similar mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Thats no fun.

At least two different cars, at least two different mods, at least two different dynos, and at least two different days.

Whats the matter with you? Its the way we've been doing things around here now for years. Get with the program.
oh yeah....oops
Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 PM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
The only real comparisons that should be made are from stock to Z exhaust to LTs. Not from one car to another or from an LS7 to an LS2. That makes no sense. Regardless of the fact that LTs will produce more power than the Z manifolds and also set up a base for future mods. An actual power increase was achieved going from stock exhaust to Z exhaust(assuming the above numbers are acurate) That is it. Do not read into it any more than that. No LS7 to LS2 or this C6 to that C6. One car, one mod, and the results. Done. Thread over.
While I agree thats no fun eithereand I agree with not comparing it with the Z06, but I do think comparing similarly modded cars is very interesting reading, especially when the price of headers for a corvette is nearing the cost of my 1st vehicle. Otherwise, why would vendor's even bother posting dyno sheets on their website to show what their products do? They do it to sell parts! Duh.! I would too if I had a shop.
But something the corvette forum has always done for me and many others is to learn other options/alternatives to each and every part/vendor, learn tips/tricks to launching, bleeding clutches, etc. That is what makes this forum great.!!

We could all believe that every part will provide every HP and TQ that they claim, and every claim that this vendor or that vendor has the best, when only real world testing shows that.

Just like the Tornado test...obviously wasnt worth the foil it was made out of

Sure it would be wonderful to test every corvette on the same dyno, same day, same car, different parts. How realistic is that??? Who wants to drive cross country to test thier theories? If I had the cash to outlay for that, I wouldnt be trying to get results out of used parts.!

I am not bashing any particular vendor or anyone else, but I personally believe that the prices charged for Corvette headers/ xpipes/exhausts are way too much . That is my belief.
Thanks to Corvette Forum, i have been able to make some very educated decisions, and I hope I can provide that for some other people.!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
MontereyRedC6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Thats no fun.

At least two different cars, at least two different mods, at least two different dynos, and at least two different days.

Whats the matter with you? Its the way we've been doing things around here now for years. Get with the program.
And two different engines! I rest my case!

Last edited by MontereyRedC6; 03-17-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

oh yeah....oops
Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Darwin11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that is what needs to be understood. If you do not plan on modding further than this is a decent option for those on a budget.
I think the new ZR-1 has Z-06 Manifolds.
Hmmmmmmm

I think its a great Mod also !
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Ok guys, I just finished the mod (complete Z06 exhaust manifolds to mufflers) and ran 1/8 & 1/4 mile.

My car is a 2005 A4 with 3.15 gears & a honker it ran a best of 12.43 @ 112.x or 113.x & 90.xx in the eight. (too lazy to actually look it up) Taking the car off the jackstands and racing it in the Corvettes vs GTOs I ran the 1/8 mile and my MPH went up to 91.86 & 91.94 when we were not playing brake light racing.

On Wednesday, I went to a track rental it ran 12.40 @ 114.00. I had my own lane, no water so I heated the tires via a dry hop and the DA sucked. So it may be close but not exactly apples to apples.

My observations:

1.) The car dropped dead up top (flaps open Blaaaaaaaaaa)
2.) Traction was limited at best (I needed to change my launch technique, it could also be the dry hop vs water)
3.) The car really needs to be tuned if you want to maxmize this mod.

My opinion:

You can not compare the Z06 exhaust mod to Long tube headers. Daren I am truly sorry........ way too late to explain the benefits of the 32 inch primary tube which measures 1 & 3/4 inch vs 3 inch wide stock exhaust attached to exhaust manifolds) I cheaped out, I do not want any hassles with the inspection police

There is horespower to be gained with the Z06 setup. If you consider that motors are air pumps, improve the outflow and you also need to improve the inflow and of course a tune is necessary and not optional.

My intention is to add a intake (fast or weiand) then tune it and go back to the track. We'll see

BTW It is a bear when you install it on an auto as the autos were not made to accept the 3 inch pipes

Hope this little note helps ..... yea right some more gasoline on a already raging fire
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
06C6FVR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy, you are a class act guy. I can appreciate everyone's opinion when it is approached in the manner that you speak! (even if I disagree to some level)..

We all have opinions, and they all stink!

So am i understanding that you did NOT have it tuned? If not, you gotta get that bad boy done...Changes that large cant be optimized properly with the stock tune!

Also, with more power comes traction problems! Thats Why i dont even bother with the runflats anymore, only race on Drag Radials.

Daren

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Ok guys, I just finished the mod (complete Z06 exhaust manifolds to mufflers) and ran 1/8 & 1/4 mile.

My car is a 2005 A4 with 3.15 gears & a honker it ran a best of 12.43 @ 112.x or 113.x & 90.xx in the eight. (too lazy to actually look it up) Taking the car off the jackstands and racing it in the Corvettes vs GTOs I ran the 1/8 mile and my MPH went up to 91.86 & 91.94 when we were not playing brake light racing.

On Wednesday, I went to a track rental it ran 12.40 @ 114.00. I had my own lane, no water so I heated the tires via a dry hop and the DA sucked. So it may be close but not exactly apples to apples.

My observations:

1.) The car dropped dead up top (flaps open Blaaaaaaaaaa)
2.) Traction was limited at best (I needed to change my launch technique, it could also be the dry hop vs water)
3.) The car really needs to be tuned if you want to maxmize this mod.

My opinion:

You can not compare the Z06 exhaust mod to Long tube headers. Daren I am truly sorry........ way too late to explain the benefits of the 32 inch primary tube which measures 1 & 3/4 inch vs 3 inch wide stock exhaust attached to exhaust manifolds) I cheaped out, I do not want any hassles with the inspection police

There is horespower to be gained with the Z06 setup. If you consider that motors are air pumps, improve the outflow and you also need to improve the inflow and of course a tune is necessary and not optional.

My intention is to add a intake (fast or weiand) then tune it and go back to the track. We'll see

BTW It is a bear when you install it on an auto as the autos were not made to accept the 3 inch pipes

Hope this little note helps ..... yea right some more gasoline on a already raging fire
Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the Z06 manifolds have to be better than the stock manifolds. Are they as good as long tubes? I, along with most everyone else, really doubt it. Tommy's evidence is Z06 manifolds are worth maybe 1 mph in trap speeds (without a tune). My LG LT's were worth 4.5 mph in trap speed (corrected numbers, it was 5 mph uncorrected). And this also was without a tune.

The only way people will believe any comparison is if it's on the same car and the same dyno within a couple weeks or less apart.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by 06C6FVR
Tommy, you are a class act guy. I can appreciate everyone's opinion when it is approached in the manner that you speak! (even if I disagree to some level)..

We all have opinions, and they all stink!

So am i understanding that you did NOT have it tuned? If not, you gotta get that bad boy done...Changes that large cant be optimized properly with the stock tune!

Also, with more power comes traction problems! Thats Why i dont even bother with the runflats anymore, only race on Drag Radials.

Daren
Hey Daren,

Thank you!

I get invited to the track rental as entertainment Everyone knows the way I drive so I am the "test pilot", "warm up guy" and provide something for everybody to talk about.

Drag radials would be no fun as I would actually make a pass and possibly go straight

And yes the car really, really needs to be tuned, I have been very bad as I have not even run a scan to see how screwed up it is..... and it is
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I believe the Z06 manifolds have to be better than the stock manifolds. Are they as good as long tubes? I, along with most everyone else, really doubt it. Tommy's evidence is Z06 manifolds are worth maybe 1 mph in trap speeds (without a tune). My LG LT's were worth 4.5 mph in trap speed (corrected numbers, it was 5 mph uncorrected). And this also was without a tune.

The only way people will believe any comparison is if it's on the same car and the same dyno within a couple weeks or less apart.
Totally agree.

These engines are all about the package you put together, and the improvement from any one item aren't all that important. I'n my case, I'd like to get my car to around 425 rwhp while keeping stock driving manners, stock idle, and 100k mile reliability. At the same time, I'd like to pass our state inspection without any funny business, something that my current combo will never do. So, how do I meet my goals while spending the least amount of cash? The $200 Z06 manifold/cat/midpipe system seems like a no-brainer.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flareside
Totally agree.

These engines are all about the package you put together, and the improvement from any one item aren't all that important. I'n my case, I'd like to get my car to around 425 rwhp while keeping stock driving manners, stock idle, and 100k mile reliability. At the same time, I'd like to pass our state inspection without any funny business, something that my current combo will never do. So, how do I meet my goals while spending the least amount of cash? The $200 Z06 manifold/cat/midpipe system seems like a no-brainer.
I'm lucky, our state only plugs into the computer to check for codes. If I had a tough inspection I would seriously consider the Z06 manifolds. I agree with your assessment, I wanted a car that was totally streetable. After the "mild" 224 cam I put in my LS1 Camaro, I decided to stay with the stock cam and heads on this car. It's an A6 auto and it only puts down 365 rwhp, but it runs 12.003 at 118.7 in Phoenix (that's not too shabby!). That's fast enough for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do believe that an LS3 can reach 425 RWHP with near stock manners but it will have require a well thought out as well as conservative package of parts...CAI, stealth cam with intake duration less than 220 and LSA >116, ZO6 exhaust manifold/ headpipe with converter, and maybe porting the exhaust port only in the heads
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wallacefl
I do believe that an LS3 can reach 425 RWHP with near stock manners but it will have require a well thought out as well as conservative package of parts...CAI, stealth cam with intake duration less than 220 and LSA >116, ZO6 exhaust manifold/ headpipe with converter, and maybe porting the exhaust port only in the heads

I'd be very happy if I get into the 420-425 area with a combo like that. If it happens, my headers will be for sale the next day.

I paid $200 for the Z06 parts on eBay, and $1700 for LG headers, so the difference is pretty huge. The headers cost 8.5x as much!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I'm lucky, our state only plugs into the computer to check for codes. If I had a tough inspection I would seriously consider the Z06 manifolds. I agree with your assessment, I wanted a car that was totally streetable. After the "mild" 224 cam I put in my LS1 Camaro, I decided to stay with the stock cam and heads on this car. It's an A6 auto and it only puts down 365 rwhp, but it runs 12.003 at 118.7 in Phoenix (that's not too shabby!). That's fast enough for me.
365 hp and 12.003 @118.7! How do you do it?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 303 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
You do realize that when Z06's remove the factory exhaust and put on LG headers they get 25-30 HP?
Not on a properly tuned car they don't. Going from stock tune and manifolds to a custom tune and headers yes, but tune the car first, then put on headers and you will gain very little. The tune, leaning out the A/F, and adding tuning gives the majority of the gains, not the headers. We dyno'd two Z's, both with tunes, CAI's, and 160 stats, then added LG headers to one car and optimized the tune. It gained 14 ft lbs of midrange torque and 2 (that's two) peak RWHP. We did the same to my Z but with American Racing headers Vs. the LG's and it gained 12 ft lbs of midrange torque and 4 (four) peak RWHP. The factory Z06 manifolds are VERY good.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Here's mine.

LG did the install:

Base: 05, A4, 3.15's, blackwing and RT 66 catback

347 HP / 346 Torque

After install of Z06 manifolds, converters and a modified H-pipe

367 hp / 362 tq

Done within 4 hours of each test without a tune.

Last edited by Vetteinplano; 03-18-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 AM
ShaneN.
Racer

Where did you get your z06 manifolds from?

I got sent a z06 offroad x pipe by accident, thinking it was for the c6. I wonder if I could get z06 manifolds and hook up my 3" z06 magnaflow x pipe to my c6 2.5" magnaflow catback. hmmmm

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Manifolds Vs LG pro Long tubes Similar mods

Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Where did you get your z06 manifolds from?

I got sent a z06 offroad x pipe by accident, thinking it was for the c6. I wonder if I could get z06 manifolds and hook up my 3" z06 magnaflow x pipe to my c6 2.5" magnaflow catback. hmmmm
Got mine complete with cats and midpipe from eBay for $200. The guy I got them from has another set on there right now.

A 3" Z06 X-pipe won't bolt to a regular C6 exhaust unless you make an adapter (not hard for an exhaust shop).
Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYC6
365 hp and 12.003 @118.7! How do you do it?
Sorry, that's 365 rear wheel horsepower. My 01 Camaro put down 381 rwhp and only ran 12.72 at 113.7 mph. The differences are mainly the Vette is 300 pounds lighter (huge difference) and the auto has much better 60 foot times.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Here's mine.

LG did the install:

Base: 05, A4, 3.15's, blackwing and RT 66 catback

347 HP / 346 Torque

After install of Z06 manifolds, converters and a modified H-pipe

367 hp / 362 tq

Done within 4 hours of each test without a tune.

These are excellent numbers. I believe them. However, it's closer what I would expect out of the Z06 manifolds, 20 peak horsepower and 16 for torque. My LG Longtubes increased my car by 26 peak horsepower, but the real difference (which you would expect from long tubes) was 39 foot pounds of torque in the mid range.

Quick Reply: Z06 Manifolds Vs LG pro Long tubes Similar mods