C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Best headers & x-pipe
Kooks
24.78%
LG
31.74%
American Racing Headers (ARH)
30.87%
SLP
0%
B&B
2.17%
Stainless Works
2.61%
Dynatech
6.52%
Other
1.30%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Kooks, LG, ARH, SLP, B&B, Stainless Works, Dynatech, etc. Headers & X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad06vette
Well, I doubt that you would lose power too. I was just making the point that.. although you might gain some or lose some in certain areas... is spending another 1.5-1.8k on headers worth it just to see if you gain a little on another set?
Excellent point.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although the LG setup looks nice, $1900 is a bit much.

Also, if ARH headers are just a copy of Kooks from a previous employee, why do you guys like them so much better than the original?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LGs make the most torque and the most average power throughout the RPM range. Giving up very little if any in the last 200rpms. My little LS2 made 500rwhp and 440 rwtq with LG Pros w/ Cats and stock exhaust. 1 7/8 is more suited for the bigger engines. LS2/LS3 go with the LGs, you won't be disappointed. They're also probably the lightest. (Not 100% on that however)

Reason 32" primaries and outstanding design made by Borla
Old 07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss

Also, if ARH headers are just a copy of Kooks from a previous employee, why do you guys like them so much better than the original?
Actually, C5/C6 LG Pros for Corvette Forum Members are $1795 + shipping.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

LG, I would love to have your system on my car, but it's out of my budget. I can get a set of Kooks or ARH for a hair over $1600 SHIPPED to my door. I'm still looking around $1900 by the time freight is added for yours. I could see paying $100 more for your set, but that would be max and that would be for the longer design primaries.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

LG, I would love to have your system on my car, but it's out of my budget. I can get a set of Kooks or ARH for a hair over $1600 SHIPPED to my door. I'm still looking around $1900 by the time freight is added for yours. I could see paying $100 more for your set, but that would be max and that would be for the longer design primaries.
You are seriously worried about $300 on a $46,000 car?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

Jeremy, I'm not sure where you got your information but that is grossly incorrect. ARH systems are 100% unique in every way.

Bowmanized, Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as a true 32" long Corvette header. Feel free to take a tape measure to your headers of choice and check.

Nick
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

glennhl, you're only looking at it in difference in price. I'm already forking over $1000, $1600 is a lot better than $1900.

AR Headers, I read it here on the board. I'm not saying it's true. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

glennhl, you're only looking at it in difference in price. I'm already forking over $1000, $1600 is a lot better than $1900.

AR Headers, I read it here on the board. I'm not saying it's true. Sorry if I offended you.
Sorry about my reaction, money is money.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 PM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dmaxcamss If you have any question regarding our product feel free to pm or call me toll free at 1 866 586 KOOK ext 308. I could talk to you on this public forum but lately here all it does is turn into a pissing match. I do not have time for the games.We have been building headers for over 45 years. Here in america.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
dmaxcamss If you have any question regarding our product feel free to pm or call me toll free at 1 866 586 KOOK ext 308. I could talk to you on this public forum but lately here all it does is turn into a pissing match. I do not have time for the games.We have been building headers for over 45 years. Here in america.
Yup, call George...
Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Yeah right No really your wrong There is not any header going to better for me thats sure.On the same dyno and 423 on a Mustang dyno. With a few bolt-on's. I am more than happy to dyno with someone who has LG's, or run one at track.
Well I'm stating the facts that "I" have seen on SEVERAL dynos... Once again I do NOT have LGM LT's, I have NO reason to be biased... But if you want to bring your car down South... I'll certainly oblige and give your little bottom a spanking... keep the "Yeah right" "No really you're wrong" comments out of it, (btw it is you're not your) and try to get along rather than point rude fingers at others...

Now back on topic...
I believe as stated the couple of extra dollars the the LGM LT's cost is a drop in the barrel, and VERY well worth it...
Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

ARH still leads. They're ahead by 22 votes. What makes them so unique from the others? Do they make more power? Do they have better fitment? Better quality? Something about them is obviously better than the competition as it has lead the poll the entire time.

I've owned 3 sets of Kooks for my Camaro and I never had a problem with any of them. I mean...I'm always willing to try something new, but if I've used something that works and makes me happy, why switch? In other words, I want facts what makes ARH better than Kooks.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
WIKED-Z06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My vote goes to ARH
Old 07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

All you guys are voting for ARH, but WHY?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

Also, does the ARH provide all the hardware including O2 extension as Kooks does?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 PM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't typically like to reply to these "which header is better" threads but since I have tested two different brands on the same engine I will share my results.

This dyno graph is the result from switching from LG Pro 1.75" headers with cats to American Racing 1.875" headers with cats. Each was tuned to maximize the results. The blue line is with the LGs and the red line is with American Racing.

The results are quite intersting. The LGs make better torque from 3,600rpm to about 4,700rpm. Suprisingly, the American Racing headers make more torque from 2,800rpm to 3,700rpm, stay even from about 4,200 rpm to 5,300 rpm, and then make more torque from about 5,300rpm to the end of the run. The American Racing Headers also made 16 more rwhp and carried the gap to the end of the run. In my opinion, the results in the very beginning of the graph are in a rpm range that is to low to notice a difference. The car with the American Racing headers felt like it pulled harder then with the LGs.

Now some people may complain that the test should have been between LG 1.75" headers and American Racing 1.75" headers. I would have liked to see that test as well but it just didn't happen that way. I believe there is no one perfect header for all applications but I think American Racing has enough of a selection to cover most. LG only makes one header for the LS motors and in my opinion boosted and large cube n/a motors need a larger header to perform to their maximum potential.

The quality of American Racing headers top notch. Here is a picture of the inside of the A/R x-pipe. If you have ever looked inside of the LG x-pipe you know if is rough.

Here is a picture of the inside of the A/R collector.

I am not affiliated with LG, Kooks, Dynatch, American Racing, or any other header manufacture. I just performed a test and posted the results. However, I am impressed with American Racing headers quality and performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks, LG, ARH, SLP, B&B, Stainless Works, Dynatech, etc. Headers & X-pipe

Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 AM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

Do the ARH header/x-pipe system come with O2 extensions?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy that works on my Vette (08’ Z06) is Kushan from Excelsior Motorsports in San Diego, CA. He has excessively tested the LG’s, Kooks, and ARH… Before I decided to go with either one, I wanted to see dyno proof and air flow results… Kushan has a 08’ Z06 that he uses as an R&D car so all three Headers were run in the same environment and on the car… With that said, ARH out performed both LG and Kooks… So, I went with the ARH and I am very happy with the way my car sounds and runs…

American Racing Headers (ARH) are the best of the best; period! I have proof to show it!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mirandom
The guy that works on my Vette (08’ Z06) is Kushan from Excelsior Motorsports in San Diego, CA. He has excessively tested the LG’s, Kooks, and ARH… Before I decided to go with either one, I wanted to see dyno proof and air flow results… Kushan has a 08’ Z06 that he uses as an R&D car so all three Headers were run in the same environment and on the car… With that said, ARH out performed both LG and Kooks… So, I went with the ARH and I am very happy with the way my car sounds and runs…

American Racing Headers (ARH) are the best of the best; period! I have proof to show it!
Please post all graphs with each header on the car. Then let us know what the temps were for each run(coolant,oil,trans) with each header on the car before or during dyno pulls. Also could you let us know how long the car sat between each run and what were the exact times it took to swap out the headers on this car all in the sameday? What were the temps of the shop that day and what was the barometric pressure for each run, as we all know that(baromertic) never stays the same.

Would luv to see the proof.

Last edited by Tony B4; 07-12-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Kooks, LG, ARH, SLP, B&B, Stainless Works, Dynatech, etc. Headers & X-pipe