C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading C6 on Flatbed Towtruck

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 AM
wam3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porterrw
Northern Tool sells T hooks that fit into the forward slots on the side rails. See the web. They extend outward to the sides presenting a loop onto which chains can be attached to pull onto the flatbed and secure the car. I believe they are $8.95 each. Product reviews are provided by Vet owners. I have heard before that flatbed drivers probably have these hooks. However, like the pucks they are useful insurance.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a pair. Like you said, cheap insurance.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM
harleypower69
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtee
Just a thought....

But.... why not tow it backwards up on the flat bed. Seems like a number of places the tow driver could hook the chains?.
I always have mine loaded this way, truck will still need some 2 X 6 for the front to clear. This method has worked for me with both C4 and C6.

To the OP, this thread was very useful, once I got to the meat of it, thanks for posing the question.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oldtee, I like your thinking!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, You could always purchase one of these and carry it with you. Should you need it fits in the jacking puck holes on your C6 just fine.
Then the Tow Truck operator can pull your car up on his flat bed no problem no damage.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2014, 04:10 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Being that I can only talk about things that are Real, I would call my wife and have her bring me my spare tire that is in the garage or....... I would drive the car the 20 or so feet onto the truck. Really if you cannot figure this out then keep buying run flats.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Problem is assuming all professional tow operators are really seasoned.

Never assume anything if you really care about the outcome.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Problem is assuming all professional tow operators are really seasoned.

Never assume anything if you really care about the outcome.
That's good advice. The other problem is access to professional operators with limited C6 experience WHERE YOU BREAK DOWN. They may be very experienced (and professional) in heavy truck and standard car towing, but have little or no experience with a specialty car like a newer model vette.

Doesn't matter if he's loading your vette from the front or the back, he still needs to know exactly where to HOOK THE CHAINS. They just don't go anywhere even if he loads from the back. There is no, "Seems like a lot of places." Because there's a lot of wrong places that may seem OK but can damage your C6. The chain hooks go into the lift puck holes (front and/or back) as those holes are designed to take the pulling stress without damage.

And like someone already posted, most tow driver experienced or not have the center Y chain so you don't need to run out and buy specialty straps.
Regardless of how limited your towing company options are, as an owner, if you know where the hooks go, you're better off preventing someone trying to hook the chains anywhere even if loading from the back.

jer

Last edited by lvjetboy; 08-04-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
What could you do with runflats that you couldn't do before? I've had my runflats repaired twice and both times it took until Monday for the "runflat authorized technician" to come to work. So good luck with your runflats on a Friday or Saturday.

In my case, I have two sets of wheels and tires so all I had to leave at the Goodyear dealer was the tire.

Even if you have runflats, you are better off with this: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...al&partnum=CCK It fits nicely in one of the cubbies in the back.
item not showing up in the link..what is it?
thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 PM
rleem7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run flats

Originally Posted by naschmitz
What could you do with runflats that you couldn't do before? I've had my runflats repaired twice and both times it took until Monday for the "runflat authorized technician" to come to work. So good luck with your runflats on a Friday or Saturday.

In my case, I have two sets of wheels and tires so all I had to leave at the Goodyear dealer was the tire.

Even if you have runflats, you are better off with this: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...al&partnum=CCK It fits nicely in one of the cubbies in the back.
What exactly am I looking for?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Tow hookup

The chain ends go where the blue dots are. There are slotted holes specific for this. Just feel under that area and you will find them
The following users liked this post:
Deco foam (06-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dentalfloss

The chain ends go where the blue dots are. There are slotted holes specific for this. Just feel under that area and you will find them
So the newbee comes in with his 2nd ever post and the visual aid solution. The winner.
The following users liked this post:
Deco foam (06-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
i have over 30 years in the towing biz,i didnt have drivers that ask where to hook up nor would i use some towing equiptment that some knowit all pulls out the back of his car.its my truck and my way or you sit there and wait for another truck. do not use the t slots to pull up on the bed,the choker will rub and ride up on the tires.let the pro tower handle your car
As a 20+-year Premier AAA member (as is my whole family, 3 generations), I'd tell a driver with your attitude to go F himself, and report him to AAA, and demand that they never send your company to me on a tow again. Then I'd rip their @$$ on Yelp.

I used to dispatch tow trucks for a gas station when I was in HS. Most of the drivers were the type of rabble that the UK sent off to Australian penal colonies in the 18th Century. When you find a good one, you've really got something.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by oldtee
Just a thought....

But.... why not tow it backwards up on the flat bed. Seems like a number of places the tow driver could hook the chains?.
Typically, hauling a Vette from the back it lowers the front so much it scrapes the airdam and splitter pretty bad. I have a rear tow hook, and it is pretty useless except for pulling the car evenly (like on a track), not up onto a flatbed.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:52 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

I am retired and have an automotive hobby shop and after owning my Vet for a couple days I have had it on my Mohawk A-7 lift several times. The Mohawk is a 2 post which has 4 arms extending. I used the blue dot location with puck and it works perfect. So the blue dots are automotive lifts and securing on a flatbed tow truck. After owning several very low cars, I have a tow company that I am friends of the owner and they know to bring planks or whatever is necessary not damage my cars.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Every C6 has 4 T hooks flots in the frame. These slots are where you place your jacking pucks. I've had my Grand Sport on and off a rollback at least a dozen times. I've trailered on an 18 wheeler semi to track events in Florida and Alabama and to get it off of my trailer and onto the ground, I've hired local towing rollbacks from Daytona, Palm Beach, Sebring, and Talladega plus a few here in Wis. The tow truck rolbacks are all the same with all of the T-hooks, winch cables, wood, ect.

Every single time, the drill goes like this - I tell the driver that I will back it onto the rollback and ask him to please place the wood as needed under the front tires so I do not scrape. They've all been good, no scrapes to date. Once I am clear, I continue to back up onto the trailer. Some drivers insist on winching it up with T hooks and winch cable, but I have loaded it and unloaded without any help from the winch. Unloading it back onto the ground, same proccess reversed. If you have a base C6, you might get by without wood, but if you have a GS or Z06, you will need wood, or race ramps. Here's a few pics

The day I bought it new at the dealer

Daytona

Talladega
Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The Race Ramps shown in the post above are standard trailer ramps for loading cars onto car trailers. Race Ramps also offers tow truck specific ramp models.

The Tow Truck ramps have a 5000 pound per pair capacity. They are only 10" wide and would normally be used with a winch. The two piece design allows the ramps to be stored in the 4' tool boxes on the side of the truck. The leading piece can be used alone in many cases.

Tow companies who have purchased these flat bed extension ramps report getting very positive comments from customers who appreciate the extra care demonstrated when using the Race Ramps.

http://www.reverselogic.us/tow-truck-ramps
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 12-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

I was going to get Race Ramps to change my oil, until I learned my dealer would do it for like $11 if I brought my own Mobil 1.

What's cool is they make reversible ramps for both maintenance and trailering. Not cheap ($430, not including the $140 cribs you'll want to level the car), but useful.

And nobody said owning a Vette would be cheap.

Last edited by Corvettinator; 08-07-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Loading C6 on Flatbed Towtruck

Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

There are actually two models of Race Ramps with the invertible incline sections. The RLL-80-2 which Reverse Logic introduced in January 2013, and the RR-80-10-2 model which Race Ramps offered beginning November 2013.

Both ramp models are 80" long and have a cradle top platform. The RLL-80-2 has a 6.8 degree incline and a 9" high platform. The RR-80-10-2 has a 8.5 degree incline and a 10" high platform.

Both of these ramps are rated at 3000 pounds per pair, whereas the tow truck ramps are a heavy duty model with a 5000 pounds per pair capacity.

Reverse Logic sells the RLL-80-2 incline sections separately for people who do not need the service ramp platform.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...49&id=19995831

The RLL-80-2 ramp model is our most popular two-stage incline ramp.

Originally Posted by Corvettinator

....What's cool is they make reversible ramps for both maintenance and trailering. Not cheap ($430, not including the $140 cribs you'll want to level the car), but useful.

And nobody said owning a Vette would be cheap.

Last edited by Fred@ReverseLogic; 03-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Default Corvette on 2 post lift

My Corvette on my 2 post lift. I since bought rubber pucks instead of the wood.
Attached Images     
Old 02-07-2017, 11:23 AM
5LEEPER
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06pete
Well, You could always purchase one of these and carry it with you. Should you need it fits in the jacking puck holes on your C6 just fine.
Then the Tow Truck operator can pull your car up on his flat bed no problem no damage.
Can you send a link for this part? I cant find it for the life of me!

Quick Reply: Loading C6 on Flatbed Towtruck