C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Jay....Onre more thing I noticed about your writeup...

Jay....Onre more thing I noticed about your writeup...

EVERYONE LISTEN UP HERE.... I saw something in this thread about filling the trans through the drain plug in the pan.....

I'd like to ad something here.....The trick here is to add fluid till the oil pours out the drain plug.... As silly as it sounds, that's how it works....There's a tube inside and when the fluid fills to the proper level (engine running in park) it just pours out.....

Trying to fill the trans through the drain is messy though....The sneaky trick here is to reach up on the passenger side of the case and remove the plastic plug in the side of the case....It appears to be where the dipstick tube would ordinarily go on a RWD car or truck.

Pull the plug and using a syringe type device (usually $10 or $15 bucks at autozone) fill the trans through the hole on the passenger side till the fluid ours out the bottom....

It's that easy and much less messy. Just don't forget to put the plug back in the side of the unit before testing my tune!!!

Chuck CoW
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Jay....Onre more thing I noticed about your writeup...

EVERYONE LISTEN UP HERE.... I saw something in this thread about filling the trans through the drain plug in the pan.....

I'd like to ad something here.....The trick here is to add fluid till the oil pours out the drain plug.... As silly as it sounds, that's how it works....There's a tube inside and when the fluid fills to the proper level (engine running in park) it just pours out.....

Trying to fill the trans through the drain is messy though....The sneaky trick here is to reach up on the passenger side of the case and remove the plastic plug in the side of the case....It appears to be where the dipstick tube would ordinarily go on a RWD car or truck.

Pull the plug and using a syringe type device (usually $10 or $15 bucks at autozone) fill the trans through the hole on the passenger side till the fluid ours out the bottom....

It's that easy and much less messy. Just don't forget to put the plug back in the side of the unit before testing my tune!!!

Chuck CoW

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

I fixed all the pics for you suckas!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM
GETUSUMM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck, how fast is the fastest car you have done the tranny tune to? rwhp, 1/4. How long has the tranny been living?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
jmt1669
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by GETUSUMM
Chuck, how fast is the fastest car you have done the tranny tune to? rwhp, 1/4. How long has the tranny been living?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Fasrdnu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:lur k:
Originally Posted by jmt1669
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

great freakin write up i was thinkin about doing this very task but will more then likely wait for chuck to get close to wichita kansas or just make a trip to somewhere close. regards, paul
Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hanny
great freakin write up i was thinkin about doing this very task but will more then likely wait for chuck to get close to wichita kansas or just make a trip to somewhere close. regards, paul
Thanks man buy I'm telling you, its cake. If you decide to try it, I will forward you my phone number for any questions you might have.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Jay,
I may be nuts,but I'm in the process! I removed the ECM and dropped the tranny pan - *^%*##*@ REAR BOLTS! I'll attack the TCM tomorrow night. Then, it's off to the Tune-Master I hope I can get this thing back together!!! This thread made it happen- I BLAME YOU
Thanks
Dan
Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cheakster
Jay,
I may be nuts,but I'm in the process! I removed the ECM and dropped the tranny pan - *^%*##*@ REAR BOLTS! I'll attack the TCM tomorrow night. Then, it's off to the Tune-Master I hope I can get this thing back together!!! This thread made it happen- I BLAME YOU
Thanks
Dan

Dont sweat it man. I sent you a PM with my number
Old 12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Jay,
Thanks
Dan

Yea, tell me about it. A 10mm gear wrench is your friend and you WILL need one to get them back in. When you start to pull the TCM, just remove all the bolts holding the TCM onto the valve body and you will only have a slight problem with the 2 on the side ( they wont slide all the way out since they hit the side of the trans housing and they simply need to be tilted down to remove). Then, just loosen (you dont have to fully remove) the 3 valve body bolts and the valve body will move alot, enough to pull the 2 side bolt going through the TCM. Then....the TCM just falls off and unplug the last small plug at the back of the TCM.

Then just snug the 3 valve body bolts and let it sit until you get it back.

Last edited by JayplaySS2; 12-14-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Default Got it out!

Jason,
I followed your directions and got that ***** out last night! Thanks for the thorough write-up and the phone call Everything went as expected- except I had to loosen all 6 10mm bolts on the valve body to remove the 2 side bolts- worked perfectly! I've been wanting Chuck's tune for a long time- finally going to happen. I'll be calling him to see what all he needs from me and then ship this puppy out. Guys like you are what make this Forum so great!
Thanks again
Dan
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Jason,
I followed your directions and got that ***** out last night! Thanks for the thorough write-up and the phone call Everything went as expected- except I had to loosen all 6 10mm bolts on the valve body to remove the 2 side bolts- worked perfectly! I've been wanting Chuck's tune for a long time- finally going to happen. I'll be calling him to see what all he needs from me and then ship this puppy out. Guys like you are what make this Forum so great!
Thanks again
Dan

Im proud of you man, I know its intimdating to take that s.o.b. apart but you did great. Give me a call for anything else or if you have any issues geting it back together. Youre gonna love it man, next you will be yanking your cam. Call me on that too brother.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am so glad that Chuck came to Corvettes at Carlisle just about the time I was ready for an A6 tune on my '08!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Originally Posted by WGO
I am so glad that Chuck came to Corvettes at Carlisle just about the time I was ready for an A6 tune on my '08!
Sure, rub it in already
It IS a lot of work- not HARD- just time consuming and a little frustrating. Chuck definitely makes it worth the effort with his outrageous Christmas special on mail orders. Anytime I got p*ssed, I just thought of the bad-*** that will be born out of this tune- all better . I figure the Vette is garaged most of the winter,so why not give her a new heart to come out screamin' in the SpringIf Chuck's tune helped your updated '08, just think how much an '06 will benefit!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:26 AM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sure, rub it in already
It IS a lot of work- not HARD- just time consuming and a little frustrating. Chuck definitely makes it worth the effort with his outrageous Christmas special on mail orders. Anytime I got p*ssed, I just thought of the bad-*** that will be born out of this tune- all better . I figure the Vette is garaged most of the winter,so why not give her a new heart to come out screamin' in the SpringIf Chuck's tune helped your updated '08, just think how much an '06 will benefit!!!
If you thought it was worth the trouble because of the sale, just wait until you get it back together!!! If it performs like the tune on my '08, you will be amazed.

Best of luck getting it back together.

Tell me what you think once you drive it. I have 800 miles on mine post-tune and I am still am still thinking WOW every time I drive it!

Bill
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Crikey!
Advanced

Jason,
Thanks again
Dan
Call me crazy, but I just pulled the TCM out of my A6 for Chuck CoW's Christmas tune special. I too had to take all 6 bolts off of the valve body. I called Chuck to make sure of what I was doing and he suggested I completely drop the valve body down in order to make sure all the gaskets/fluid tubes line up correctly when putting everything back together. While not technically difficult, I would say it's a little nerve wracking to get this far into the tranny! I am still confused about adding the transmission fluid when all done...

With all that I hear about Chuck's A6 tune, I hope this is worth it!!!

Get notified of new replies

To COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crikey!
Call me crazy, but I just pulled the TCM out of my A6 for Chuck CoW's Christmas tune special.
Definitely NOT crazy.

I was lucky enough to get mine done at Corvettes at Carlisle.

Once you get it back together I think you will be very happy and amazed.

That tune was the best money I have spent on my Corvette.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Call me crazy, but I just pulled the TCM out of my A6 for Chuck CoW's Christmas tune special. I too had to take all 6 bolts off of the valve body. I called Chuck to make sure of what I was doing and he suggested I completely drop the valve body down in order to make sure all the gaskets/fluid tubes line up correctly when putting everything back together. While not technically difficult, I would say it's a little nerve wracking to get this far into the tranny! I am still confused about adding the transmission fluid when all done...

It is worth it, trust me.

I just added the same fluid that I drained, then added an extra qt for spills and loss.

If you have a hard time with the valve body, I will pm you my number and you can also shoot Dan (cheakster) a pm since he had a minor issue that I did NOT have.

Take it one step at a time and never stress. It can all be solved, trust me. No stress.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

YOU ARE CORRECT, for some reason I thought it was only 3 when I was taking pics.

Quick Reply: COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!