C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Crikey!
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette's of Westchester A6 tune

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I must have missed it. Whats the purpose of this now????
The purpose of this is to pull the ECM and TCM and send to Chuck so he can program the A6 to shift the way a "spirited" automatic should shift. The original programming that came with the car is way too wimpy!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
cheakster
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crikey!
Call me crazy, but I just pulled the TCM out of my A6 for Chuck CoW's Christmas tune special. I too had to take all 6 bolts off of the valve body. I called Chuck to make sure of what I was doing and he suggested I completely drop the valve body down in order to make sure all the gaskets/fluid tubes line up correctly when putting everything back together. While not technically difficult, I would say it's a little nerve wracking to get this far into the tranny! I am still confused about adding the transmission fluid when all done...

With all that I hear about Chuck's A6 tune, I hope this is worth it!!!

Hey Crickey! I'm glad you went through with it! Dropping the valve body all the way down is highly recommended-Jason is a better mechanic than I ) to make sure that 4-piece grommet set stays in place. Otherwise you could booger up the grommets (don't ask)
For refilling, I replaced the filter with new ($36), strained the original fluid, and added a quart. Then I jacked the front of the car up until level, started and warmed her up. Then I pulled the rear tranny plug and pumped fluid in from the "dip stick" opening until it ran out the rear drain hole. Re-installed drain plug and fill plug. It was simple! You can use those cheap hand pumps that fit right on the tranny fluid bottle. I put a longer tube on it and covered it with aluminum foil to protect from exhaust. It actually took another 2 quarts. Then I test drove, came home, changed my pants, and test drove again
Tell us how you like the "new" car when you get time!
Dan

Last edited by cheakster; 01-20-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Guys, here are some horrible pics of the valve body grommets which need to be in place upon reassembly. My camera had a tough time focusing. I apologize, but hope you can get the idea. PM me if you have questions.
1) 4-piece grommet set held together with metal band (bottom) Banded end sits on TOP of valve body
2) Grommet set inserted in tranny ABOVE the valve body( this is how it has to be reinstalled to stay in place)
3) Tranny with valve body dropped and grommet set removed (they can fall out of here while jiggling the valve body)
4) Grommet set sitting on top of valve body (just to show how they line up)

Last edited by cheakster; 01-20-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Boy I'm glad I got a REAL sports car with a manual tranny
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job on the pics Dan, I just got lucky I guess.

This really is an easy job.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
You don't really believe you are able to shift quicker than the tuned A6 I hope....
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
cheakster
Instructor

It may not be your tranny of choice, but don't EVEN try to suggest a tuned A6 Corvette is not sporty
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
cheakster
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Great job on the pics Dan, I just got lucky I guess.

This really is an easy job.
Actually, my pictures SUCK! Somehow the lighting was causing the camera to flip out- I could tell it was having trouble focusing. If I had checked them immediately, I would have retaken them. I was trying to get her back together in time for a test drive! Hopefully they are good enough to show what I'm talking about.
Thanks Jason! I wouldn't have attempted it without your help..and you're right- it IS easy.
I'm WAY behind you in mods...THANK GOD
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have driven manuals all of my life. Many of them 'sports cars'.

Unless you have experienced what this tune does for the A6, I would respectfully suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
WGO
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cheakster
It may not be your tranny of choice, but don't EVEN try to suggest a tuned A6 Corvette is not sporty
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
ZIPNBYU
Instructor

Default Trans tune

As Chucked said there are only 4, well let me say I am one of
the luck few. I had mine done when Chuck was in Sin City for SEMA and lets just say. 1. There is no other tunner, that J somebody guy, will get you into nothing but @#!^%$$**&%^%##@@!@$^&&.
2. Chuck is the most experinced and knowledgeable Corvette person I have had the pleasure to talk with and experince the great things he does, and besides, when GM recognizes you well enough has been said.
3. He is not tunning out on the edge and most certainly he is giving you something that you will appreciate for along time, my only problem with Chuck is how much enjoyment he gets driving my Vette while I hold the computer, well we all have to sacrifice sometimes and for him I definately dont mind and care, besides holding the computer I am the designated fuzz buster.
4. For those of you who are in and area that Chuck is working his master craft, dont hesitate to sign up and Get Tuned, it will be the best thing you ever did for your Vette.

Best Regards,

ZIPNBYU
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Bump for the DIY's
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
softballgeek

How can chuck do this without removing it in person??

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Bob View Post
So you dont need to pull it if you visit with him in person with your A6?

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Correct. There are no "well known" A6 tuners here locally so I decided to pull it since everyone speaks so highly about Chuck. No big deal, I will also be adding TCI's new fluid that is supposed to drop the trans temps 20-30 degrees as well.
Since tunes are done via software, is there not any software / hardware available to tuners that would allow them to remotely tune your car over the internet? And I don't mean to remotely control their expensive equipment that they send to you. I have seen some tuners that send out kits to be remotely controlled by them, but they require a ridiculous deposit.

The remote tuning that I am thinking about may work like this.

A small web interface module (hundred bucks or so) is purchased by the car owner that is compatible with the remote software for the tuning as specified by the tuner. This device that plugs into the car would first have to be configured by you according to instructions from the tuner using a PC. This would allow this hardware module to be visible on the internet. You would call the tuner and let the tuner know the address of your module which will be plugged into your car. The module that is plugged into the car is also plugged into your home network. The tuner would test the connection from his remote PC to your web interface module that is plugged into your car, run a few diagnostics and upload the programming.........verify the programming and you're good to go. If you ever want another tune, you would already have the web interface module and it would be a phone call to the tuner to update your tune again. Best of all, no traveling to the tuner if you live far away and no need to take your car apart and no deposits to pay to the tuner for sending out his equipment.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by c54u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Bob View Post
So you dont need to pull it if you visit with him in person with your A6?

Since tunes are done via software, is there not any software / hardware available to tuners that would allow them to remotely tune your car over the internet? And I don't mean to remotely control their expensive equipment that they send to you. I have seen some tuners that send out kits to be remotely controlled by them, but they require a ridiculous deposit.

The remote tuning that I am thinking about may work like this.

A small web interface module (hundred bucks or so) is purchased by the car owner that is compatible with the remote software for the tuning as specified by the tuner. This device that plugs into the car would first have to be configured by you according to instructions from the tuner using a PC. This would allow this hardware module to be visible on the internet. You would call the tuner and let the tuner know the address of your module which will be plugged into your car. The module that is plugged into the car is also plugged into your home network. The tuner would test the connection from his remote PC to your web interface module that is plugged into your car, run a few diagnostics and upload the programming.........verify the programming and you're good to go. If you ever want another tune, you would already have the web interface module and it would be a phone call to the tuner to update your tune again. Best of all, no traveling to the tuner if you live far away and no need to take your car apart and no deposits to pay to the tuner for sending out his equipment.
That is a Great Idea!! Maybe something like WebEx could be used. You could go out to your car with a Laptop, hook it up to the car and using a high speed internet connetion have Chuck take control of your connected pc and use it as a host to upload the tune.

How bout it Chuck, do you think something like that is possible with the software that you use?

Mark
Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
xstang
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love sitting in the staging lanes with guys who think a manual is superior... If the mods are close to being similar, I wax them every time!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 PM
RSZ28
Cruising

Looks like photobucket has done its thing and zapped all the good photos.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
epic
Racer

Can the OP fix the original post please?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by epic
Can the OP fix the original post please?
The OP posted that nearly 5 years ago. Please don't revive old threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: COW A6 mail order tune removal made EASY!