C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird speedometer problem while racing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 AM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11
Default Weird speedometer problem while racing...

Well I took the car to the track tonight, and the couple of times that I ran I noticed when I went to slow back down that my speedometer needle was on 0 along with my HUD display. As soon as I got down to about 93 mph both the HUD and the speedometer needle would start registering again. Is this maybe because of the ET Streets that I was running on the back being a different height and at this speed they quit registering right? Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:10 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TinSecondRice
Well I took the car to the track tonight, and the couple of times that I ran I noticed when I went to slow back down that my speedometer needle was on 0 along with my HUD display. As soon as I got down to about 93 mph both the HUD and the speedometer needle would start registering again. Is this maybe because of the ET Streets that I was running on the back being a different height and at this speed they quit registering right? Any ideas?
what was your 60 ft
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
what was your 60 ft
It was a 1.650X every single time I ran, so VERY consistent, but it wouldn't launch hard enough with the nitrous converter in it to get any better. It definitely could have hooked with a lot harder launch.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is new to me.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I ran ET streets and had perfect speedometer. That's not it.

Do you have aftermarket gears/rear? Maybe they forgot to hook up the speed sensor solidly, it might be a little loose. I've seen it happen. Do you have the check engine light on? Can you read the codes?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

It was a 1.650X every single time I ran, so VERY consistent, but it wouldn't launch hard enough with the nitrous converter in it to get any better. It definitely could have hooked with a lot harder launch.
thats why, it seems like all a4 speedo doesnt work on great 60 fts untill you let off the gas, if you launch slower or hit it once moving the speedo works.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:18 PM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I ran ET streets and had perfect speedometer. That's not it.

Do you have aftermarket gears/rear? Maybe they forgot to hook up the speed sensor solidly, it might be a little loose. I've seen it happen. Do you have the check engine light on? Can you read the codes?
I am pretty sure the gears are the stock 3.15's, but the rear may have been replaced. The car was a repo when I bought it and it had a century upgraded transmission in it, so I am not sure if they built the rear while they had all that out or not. Is the speed sensor somewhere that I could access it to fix the problem if its lose? There is no check engine light on...
Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you out ran the speed of speed.......
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
thats why, it seems like all a4 speedo doesnt work on great 60 fts untill you let off the gas, if you launch slower or hit it once moving the speedo works.
Thanks! That is probably all it is then, I was just making sure there wasn't anything wrong with it
Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I am pretty sure the gears are the stock 3.15's, but the rear may have been replaced. The car was a repo when I bought it and it had a century upgraded transmission in it, so I am not sure if they built the rear while they had all that out or not. Is the speed sensor somewhere that I could access it to fix the problem if its lose? There is no check engine light on...
Yes the speedo wire is on top of the diff, toward the right side. If a trans was replaced that clip was removed. Just make sure all connections on the diff are tight.

Dennis are you kidding about tht 60ft comment? I've NEVER had my speedo not work...nor have my buddies...except when we've forgotten to plug in the speedo. You pullin our leg?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:48 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Thanks! That is probably all it is then, I was just making sure there wasn't anything wrong with it
mine has done it since ever since i started getting great 60 fts with the converter, my gears were stock, i know a few gto goes have the same problem, and it is exactly what evilways said, you out ran the pickup on the start. once it is moving slower it picks it up
Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My twin turbo 05 GTO would always do that if I did a big burnout.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I seriously hate you auto guys... 1.6x short times. Geeze.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AintQik
I seriously hate you auto guys... 1.6x short times. Geeze.
Practice! You can do it. Just gotta walk that clutch out and let it take the abuse and get the car moving.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Yes the speedo wire is on top of the diff, toward the right side. If a trans was replaced that clip was removed. Just make sure all connections on the diff are tight.

Dennis are you kidding about tht 60ft comment? I've NEVER had my speedo not work...nor have my buddies...except when we've forgotten to plug in the speedo. You pullin our leg?
nope Joe its true it happened after the converter the trans has been replaced and converter re clutched wires checked and it still does it only on good sixtey fts, i have talked to 10 gto guys with the same problem
Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Any resolution to this? A friend of mine just put in gears in his 05 (using an 06 case) and his speedo drops to 0 at 19 mph...then pops up to read normally after 3 minutes....weird...I've never had that problem with my 05.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
kbobk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this same thing happen to me too. I have not got it figured out yet. It all started after I had gears put in. It is infrequent, random and seems to only happen when I am running the car hard in 4th or 5th. The speedo will pick back up when I get out of the gas. Very strange and bugging the heck out of me.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird speedometer problem while racing...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by kbobk
I have had this same thing happen to me too. I have not got it figured out yet. It all started after I had gears put in. It is infrequent, random and seems to only happen when I am running the car hard in 4th or 5th. The speedo will pick back up when I get out of the gas. Very strange and bugging the heck out of me.
Hmm.

What year is your car, and do you know what year rear end they used in your car? In my friend's case it's an 05 car and an 06 rear end case. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the reluctor wheel that the vss is not getting a good reading at times during acceleration...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
kbobk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.

What year is your car, and do you know what year rear end they used in your car? In my friend's case it's an 05 car and an 06 rear end case. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the reluctor wheel that the vss is not getting a good reading at times during acceleration...
My car is an 08 and I was told they used an 08 rear end since the 08 rear was different from prior years. My best guess is that there is a loose connection somewhere. I have had the service active handling message come on one time when the speedo dropped to zero too.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

I had this happen to me on the street the other day while driving through the neighborhood....and no I wasn't racing or getting on it....just cruising.

Quick Reply: Weird speedometer problem while racing...