C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely Locked out... stolen keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 AM
martic5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely Locked out... stolen keys

I just had my house broke into, they stole my jewelry box (amung other things) that had ALL of my keys to the Vette in it. (2005 C6) This happened on Monday, it is now Friday, and NO ONE can help me... even get into the car! My local dealer cut 3 keys that have not been able to open the back. The plan was to get in the car to get it out of REVERSE so it could be towed to the dealer and they could proceed to 'flash' the computer and get me new fobs. Soooo, I called Chevy's Roadside Assisstance, to no avail. They sent a towing co. out and the guy walked into my garage with a slim jim kit, I almost passed out... I called them back and they told me I would have to sign a waiver so they could get someone over to tow the car while IN gear... sign a waiver because it would obiously DESTROY the transmission! 'That's all you got?' I called Kerbeck... 'the largest Corvette dealer' and was given advise to call a locksmith????? I am completely stressed over this, someone is out there with my keys, possibley planning a trip back FOR the car, it has been a week and NO ONE can help me... I even called another local dealer and was told they had the same key cutting machine that the dealer I was working with had. Can someone PLEASE help me!!!
P.S. I do not need to hear how I shouldn't have had all the keys in the same place... thnx
Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 AM
JLAW49
Intermediate

If you haven't used that lock since the car is 4 years old you should blow some powder graphite into the lock and retry the keys from the dealer.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Onstar??
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

What a bummer !!!! I would give OnStar a try but I doubt they would be able to do it because it's in your garage and wont be able to get a signal. What I would do is jack the back up (just to clear the wheels) with a floor jack or two (or some other rolling system) and very carefully push the car outside of the garage and then try OnStar.

Last edited by BlackZ51Vett; 01-17-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

IMHO your problem is the dealer. Its probably not the key cutting machine but the key code they're using. Have they contacted Bowling Green? They should. They need to be working this problem for you.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

While in Germany, I have called ADAC (their version of AAA) to unlock electric doors. They did it with some type of frequency scanner that cloned the FOB freqs . Not sure who here in the states does this but if you have AAA or another club they might be able to help. Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
NEV3R L8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't they tow it from the rear? I've had mine done this way before.

Unless maybe your backed into your garage or driveway in which I would call around and find a tow company with the tow truck above as well as some wheel dollies like said above that could be put under the rear wheels to move it around.

Goodluck!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Put the rear tires on portable wheel dollies, they are readily available for under $100 and then the car can be towed on a rollback to the dealer to have new fob's programmed.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

ok my plan is go buy or borrow a set of wheel dollies jack the back up put it on the dollies and push it out so on star can unlock it unless the battery is dead or if you call a locksmith tell them they will have to Pic the lock in the back of the car since a slim jim wont do sh** becides pull wires out lol it is more difficult to pic given its position. but any good trained locksmith should beable to do it. when I went thru locksmithing school with the state department picking locks was like the first two days lol. its not difficult to do in a normal car lock.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

If you have Onstar, they should be able to unlock it in the garage.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

What if you took out a window?
You have insurance to cover it and you would be in for sure.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 AM
martic5
Heel & Toe

No On Star, I don't think anyone feels they need it until you're in a situation like this! (at least I didn't) The key code was verified, by the dealer, with Kerbeck, where I bought the car. Really leary about a locksmith after the towing guy. Deffinately think SOMEONE needs to call Bowling Green. I would love to, but am sure no one of intrest would talk to me. Getting yet another key made on Monday, then if that doesn't work, I guess I won't leave the dealer until they do something. Just amazing that no one can get into the car, security is good, but should install fingerprint recognition so I can.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
martic5
Heel & Toe

Great idea about the dollies, thanks. I'm pretty sure they are still going to need to get in the car once at the dealer to program it. I don't know, but I think I would rather be in the car than leave it for them to try whatever to get in it. But again, I am not sure...
I hoped they had some sort of MASTER key fob to at least unlock it, and they don't.

Last edited by martic5; 01-17-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I know it's to late for you, but some time ago I posted about getting a key cut using a B-106 blank(does not have the thick plastic handle) and carrying in my wallet. Many laughed at the suggestion(as if $3 was going to put them into BK).
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I took one of the "stock" keys, cut off the plastic and put it in my wallet in case of such an emergency.

(now if I only don't leave my wallet in the car!)
Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I took one of the "stock" keys, cut off the plastic and put it in my wallet in case of such an emergency.

(now if I only don't leave my wallet in the car!)

Always a possibility I guess. You might want to get a second key cut, take a #15 Torx driver and remove one of your taillights(30 seconds) and tape the key inside of the rear fascia, replace taillight. If you do run into the problem where you don't have your wallet and you need the key, you can always find someone that has a #15 Torx driver you can borrow or purchase. Even the smallest of towns have a Walmart or an auto parts store.

You could also replace the Torx screw with a standard slotted screw so it would be even easier to find a tool to remove the taillight.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-17-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my car it is a 2008 C6 the dealership only had 1 Fob and Key and they were getting me another one. Well I took the car and then a couple of days later they told me to come pick up the new fob and key so apparently they have someway to program new fobs with no need for the car to be there. I do not know if this only on the later ones like mine or if it works that way with all yr c6.

Get notified of new replies

To Completely Locked out... stolen keys

Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would definitely take out a window.

Small insurance claim or a few hundred bucks out of your pocket BUT your in the car, and should leave the dealer with no excuses of getting u a new key etc.

Sorry to hear about the house break-in.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
I would definitely take out a window.

Small insurance claim or a few hundred bucks out of your pocket BUT your in the car, and should leave the dealer with no excuses of getting u a new key etc.

Sorry to hear about the house break-in.
Thats probably going to be his best bet.

Wheel dollies might be another alternative, to get the car out of the garage onto a flatbed, provided there are no hills involved, but taking out the driver's side window is probably going to be the best bet.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I always thought that this was all you had to do. This was on corvette action center.

Quick Reply: Completely Locked out... stolen keys