C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
ChromeGuy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding Question

I have bled the brakes on many Corvettes C4 - C5's with no problems, but I bled my 2005 C6 Z51 and now have a pedal problem.

Vaccuum bled all four corners in the correct order, fluid cleared up with no bubbles. With the car on the stands, I had great pedal, right at the top, just a before I started. When I start the car, the pedal moves down to just below the gas pedal with solid, but not maximum pressure.

Brakes are good to drive and will stop the car well, but the pedal was still down below the gas pedal. This makes it hard to heel toe down shift for autocross.

Re-Bled the brakes, no bubbles at any corners, great pedal until you start the car. I called my shop, they had no clue.

Any help is appreicated.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

did you replace calipers, or just bleed them? If they were replaced, you may have the rears on the wrong side. Bleed screws above the fluid line is correct.

Not trying to belittle you or anything, but 9 times out of 10 when calipers are replaced and they have those symptoms, that is the problem.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Why were you originally bleeding the brakes?
Are you sure you do not have air in the master cylinder?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
did you replace calipers, or just bleed them? If they were replaced, you may have the rears on the wrong side. Bleed screws above the fluid line is correct.

Not trying to belittle you or anything, but 9 times out of 10 when calipers are replaced and they have those symptoms, that is the problem.
I agree, if the pedal is good just a bit low and the air is gone then the brakes are retracting a bit to far. When you push down it takes bit of peddle travel to get the pads back to seated again. double check all the work you have done. good luck

Last edited by HANNY; 01-20-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Why were you originally bleeding the brakes?
Are you sure you do not have air in the master cylinder?
I'm kinda leaning this way too, you may have air in the master cylinder and from what I hear it is a PITA, also it is easy to do in our efforts to completely "flush" each brake line, I would bleed the MC just to be SAFE!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
ChromeGuy
Cruising

I want to thanks everyone for the suggestions. I had not replaced the calipers, but have seen them get switched before. I was orginally bleeding the brakes to get ready for the upcoming autocross season.

I also come to the opinion of having to bleed the m/c.
Again, thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bleeding the m/c is a pain. You have to put it in a vice and use a dowel to move the cylinder back and forth it makes a mess make sure you dont get that crap on your paint when you take it out.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
bleeding the m/c is a pain. You have to put it in a vice and use a dowel to move the cylinder back and forth it makes a mess make sure you dont get that crap on your paint when you take it out.
that's old school, our cars have the anti lock system and thats the PITA but everthing can be done on the car, what you said would be for new install and not even sure about the vette, RULE #1 IF YOUR GOING TO WORK ON YOUR CAR YOUR SECOND PURCHASE SHOULD BE A GOOD SET OF MANUALS!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
that's old school, our cars have the anti lock system and thats the PITA but everthing can be done on the car, what you said would be for new install and not even sure about the vette, RULE #1 IF YOUR GOING TO WORK ON YOUR CAR YOUR SECOND PURCHASE SHOULD BE A GOOD SET OF MANUALS!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Bleeding Question

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Question