C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 c6 tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
HEADS UP
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 c6 tire advice

I thought I would ask what tires C6 owners prefer and get some of your opinion's. I am looking at the orginal equipment tires Goodyear Eagle F1 VRS or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. My driving is not real aggressive. Let me know what results you have had. Thanks for your input
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HEADS UP
I thought I would ask what tires C6 owners prefer and get some of your opinion's. I am looking at the orginal equipment tires Goodyear Eagle F1 VRS or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. My driving is not real aggressive. Let me know what results you have had. Thanks for your input
The Goodyear F1's are more than satisfactory for a non-aggressive driving style. The Michelins have better grip than the Goodyear F1's but they are also more expensive.

All runflats make more noise than non-runflats, so you could go to a non-run flat and carry a conti tire kit (from Tire Rack) and get a cheaper tire that handles better and is quieter than either the Goodyear or Michelin run flats.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Dallas 1098
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
The Goodyear F1's are more than satisfactory for a non-aggressive driving style. The Michelins have better grip than the Goodyear F1's but they are also more expensive.

All runflats make more noise than non-runflats, so you could go to a non-run flat and carry a conti tire kit (from Tire Rack) and get a cheaper tire that handles better and is quieter than either the Goodyear or Michelin run flats.

What is a conti tire kit? I searched the Tire Rack site but came up empty.

Last edited by Dallas 1098; 01-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
RexApex
Intermediate

My observations on tires.

1. All the tires available for the Corvette are very good.
2.Among those good tires the Goodyear is among the worst for handling, ride, durability or cost.
3. Run flat tires pay a price in ride, performance and cost.
4. You don't have a spare tire

The Goodyears have a fair bit of grip (unless it's cold or even chilly out), but when you reach the limit of that grip it goes away very quickly. This makes the car more twitchy and more difficult to drive at the limit. Many of the other tires are much smoother at the limit, so the car doesn't snap loose as suddenly.

Personally flat tires don't scare me, so when it was time to replace my goodyears I got the Kumo's. They drive better than the Goodyears and cost about $1000 less for a set of 4. There really aren't any truly bad choices though (unless you get mugged waiting for AAA in a bad part of town because you didn't have runflats.)
--R.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dallas 1098
What is a conti tire kit? I searched the Tire Rack site but came up empty.
Check the drop down product menu, click on accessories, and then on inflation. It's a compact flat fixer with a built in compressor in a package thats small enough to fit in a rear storage compartment.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 877 Likes on 400 Posts

I purchased Michelin PS2's (non run flat) and the Conti Kit mentioned above. The tires are the best performance investment I've made on the car. Ride, handling (wet and dry) and tire life are all greatly improved.

My GY Supercars were toast at 11k and I hated drivng in the rain with them.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Another option to the Conti kit is a sensor safe can of Fix-a-flat. Conti Kit or canned, you're gonna have to wash out the tire before the patch can go in. The can also inflates!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

I asked that very same question of this forum about six months ago, and a number of folks recommended the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals, which are also runflats. I took their recommendation and have not regretted it at all! They are much quieter than the Eagles, have an aggressive tread design and cost about half of the price. The traction was great during a run down the Tail of the Dragon this past fall. Only one note of caution - like many performance tires, they are made with the softer summer compound and tend to get a little slippery at full throttle in cold weather.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by RexApex
My observations on tires.

1. All the tires available for the Corvette are very good.
2.Among those good tires the Goodyear is among the worst for handling, ride, durability or cost.
3. Run flat tires pay a price in ride, performance and cost.
4. You don't have a spare tire

The Goodyears have a fair bit of grip (unless it's cold or even chilly out), but when you reach the limit of that grip it goes away very quickly. This makes the car more twitchy and more difficult to drive at the limit. Many of the other tires are much smoother at the limit, so the car doesn't snap loose as suddenly.

Personally flat tires don't scare me, so when it was time to replace my goodyears I got the Kumo's. They drive better than the Goodyears and cost about $1000 less for a set of 4. There really aren't any truly bad choices though (unless you get mugged waiting for AAA in a bad part of town because you didn't have runflats.)
--R.
You may want to check out the fella on C6 Gen who keeps losing traction in his new, Michelins.

Cold weather, summer tires = potential problems.

To the OP's question: I personally like the Goodyear EMTs. Some day, I may try the Michelin ZPs, but while they're about the same price or a little more than the GY EMTs, they seem to last maybe the same or less.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
HEADS UP
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Motion
I asked that very same question of this forum about six months ago, and a number of folks recommended the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals, which are also runflats. I took their recommendation and have not regretted it at all! They are much quieter than the Eagles, have an aggressive tread design and cost about half of the price. The traction was great during a run down the Tail of the Dragon this past fall. Only one note of caution - like many performance tires, they are made with the softer summer compound and tend to get a little slippery at full throttle in cold weather.
I am trying to figure out why the Firestone FireHawk's are so much less money. Maybe because of the bad press when they had their problems.
Thanks for your input and if you find out why let me know

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 c6 tire advice

Quick Reply: 2005 c6 tire advice