C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check Coolant Level" in DIC...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Check Coolant Level" in DIC...

Had a DIC message of "check coolant level" after start up after sitting for about a week. Checked level in res. and seems to be fine. Isn't getting hot or anything. Could be a fluke ? Suggestions?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read this can happen just before a water pump failure. Watch you temps closely. Is there a water level sensor?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,577 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Most likely a sensor issue. I had that once on my C5 - but it was when I was driving. Temps were fine. Level was fine. Next restart, no warning and it never came back.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Most likely a sensor issue. I had that once on my C5 - but it was when I was driving. Temps were fine. Level was fine. Next restart, no warning and it never came back.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it...also will have the car in the shop next week for converter install, so I'll have them see what they can find as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

The C6 doesn't have a coolant level sensor. The "Check Coolant Level" message is triggered by an algorithm that compares the rise in coolant temperature over a given period of time.

I just went through this, and replaced the thermostat... no messages since.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kent1999
The C6 doesn't have a coolant level sensor. The "Check Coolant Level" message is triggered by an algorithm that compares the rise in coolant temperature over a given period of time.

Cheers,
Kent
Not trying to start a battle, but, I didn't say "coolant level sensor" I said "sensor"... If the temps are fine and the level is fine, I will still go with a sensor issue...

You can actually run the surge tank dry and not get a low warning. You can also get a coolant temp sensor misread to the PCM and trigger a warning.

Last edited by johnodrake; 02-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

happend to me when my water pump went. keep an eye on it, and definately have the shop take a look at it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 PM
sweetc6
Racer

Evilways what converter are you going with?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Cheers,
Kent
Not trying to start a battle, but, I didn't say "coolant level sensor" I said "sensor"... If the temps are fine and the level is fine, I will still go with a sensor issue...

You can actually run the surge tank dry and not get a low warning. You can also get a coolant temp sensor misread to the PCM and trigger a warning.
No offense meant nor taken. Nothing wrong with a couple of CF'ers doing a little DDx, right?

You're right about it could be a sensor issue -- I was just thinking that if he was getting 'normal' coolant temps on the instr cluster, that could rule out a faulty coolant temp sensor diagnosis.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No offense meant nor taken. Nothing wrong with a couple of CF'ers doing a little DDx, right?

You're right about it could be a sensor issue -- I was just thinking that if he was getting 'normal' coolant temps on the instr cluster, that could rule out a faulty coolant temp sensor diagnosis.

Cheers,
Kent
there has to be a flow sensor or something, on my EWP i had a toggle switch. if i started the car without the pump being on, i would get the check coolant level in the dic, if i turned it on the, i would still get the warning, if i cleared it it would come back, if i would turn the car off, then turn the pump on start car it wouldn't give no message, so i wired the pump with the zip harness to the fuel pump, the water pump comes on every time the car is started, and i never got the message again
Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sweetc6
Evilways what converter are you going with?
Vig 3200 stall...mild I know, but I think it'll give me what I'm looking for, beside, they have a free "re-stall" program if I wanna bump it up to say, 3600-3800 sometime later.

As for the "check coolant level" dic message. I took the vette out today, no message in over 30 miles of city/hwy driving . Kept the coolant temp in the dic to monitor temp, never got above 187 degrees, stayed mostly in the 181-183 range. I'll continue to keep an eye on it and have the shop do a look-see for me as well.
FWIW, the overflow tank is at same level as it's been for months.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it may be excessive, but have you done a coolant ph level check recently? those little strips that you get at auto parts stores?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
I have read this can happen just before a water pump failure. Watch you temps closely. Is there a water level sensor?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
it may be excessive, but have you done a coolant ph level check recently? those little strips that you get at auto parts stores?
no, but a good idea
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 PM
berserk_195
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
my water pump was leaking i figure it out after a couple of days and it was cracked so i replaced it.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Cheers,
Kent
None taken
I have read page 6-654 in the service manual. My 'sensor' would be the temp sensor - since it has to provide multiple readings to get a rate over time. Too many glitches in any computer system. I think the key is if the message is persistant it is prolly some failure or pending failure but if it goes away and doesn't return it is a glitch...
Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

sensor, replaced mine 2 weeks ago.

Get notified of new replies

To "Check Coolant Level" in DIC...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS2-Zomb!e
sensor, replaced mine 2 weeks ago.
Location of said sensor? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
aseipos
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You can also get the "check coolant level" warning by starting a cold engine and driving off immediately instead of waiting a few seconds. That confuses the algorithm that calculates coolant level by flow and temperature.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilways
Location of said sensor? Thanks in advance!
right behind the alternator, gold colored fitting that goes into the side of the head.

Quick Reply: "Check Coolant Level" in DIC...