C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is needed to install LS7 exhaust manifold on LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:29 AM
SorcererXIII
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is needed to install LS7 exhaust manifold on LS3?

First of all, how difficult is this? Second, I've searched the forum pretty thoroughly but it's still not clear to me exactly what is needed and what is optional.

I have an LS3 with the NPP exhaust; I'd like to keep that exhaust if possible, or upgrade to the Billy Boat Fusion so I can still have dual modes.

I understand there is not just a manifold but cats and an h-pipe, and a special D-shaped gasket.

Also, I hear you need a 3" to 2.5" reducer. Does this need to be welded on, or is there a workaround? Seems like the welding would be restrictive if you ever decided to change/sell your exhaust.

Anything I'm missing?

My whole intent is to improve sound/power while keeping my warranty safe(er), but also keep myself open to upgrading parts later on without having to redo everything.

TIA.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM
455HOGT37
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need the LS7 gaskets to match the manifolds and they will bolt right up. The rear oxygen sensor harness will need to have some tape unwrapped so they will reach the new locations. Extensions were not needed on my 08. The Z H pipe will bolt up to the manifolds and rear hanger without problems, but the connection to the NPP tailpipes will require some adapters. It might be as simple as adding some clamp on reducers to mate the two, but it may also require some trimming of the ends to fit also. I don't know what the length comparison is between the rear of the base and Z mid pipes.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
CSIXX1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SorcererXIII
First of all, how difficult is this? Second, I've searched the forum pretty thoroughly but it's still not clear to me exactly what is needed and what is optional.

I have an LS3 with the NPP exhaust; I'd like to keep that exhaust if possible, or upgrade to the Billy Boat Fusion so I can still have dual modes.

I understand there is not just a manifold but cats and an h-pipe, and a special D-shaped gasket.

Also, I hear you need a 3" to 2.5" reducer. Does this need to be welded on, or is there a workaround? Seems like the welding would be restrictive if you ever decided to change/sell your exhaust.

Anything I'm missing?

My whole intent is to improve sound/power while keeping my warranty safe(er), but also keep myself open to upgrading parts later on without having to redo everything.

TIA.
I just finished this on my 08 with NPP. The manifolds, cats, and H-Pipe will bolt on with no problems but the H-pipe will require to be cut and use the Z06 manifold gaskets, the rear O2's will not require extensions and all you have to do for the front O2's is un-wrap the tape and the harness will reach and allow you to hook up the fronts and I also wrapped mine with some high temp tape for added heat/burn protection. I cut my stock mid pipe about 8 inches in front of the hanger and I cut the H-pipe to the required length then I got 2 reducers made up at a exhaust shop the reducers need to be made so they fit over a 3 inch pipe on one end and on the other it needs to fit over a 2.5 inch pipe and I used band clamps and I have no leaks.

Check out the link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...o-results.html
Old 04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Zteve
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go with the Z06 manifolds and cats, you have a couple options of what comes next. (1) You can have a muffler shop modify your stock X pipe to mate up to the 3" cats. (2) You can use a Z06 X pipe and have a muffler shop fabricate a bit to mate exhaust to the X pipe, or (3) Get the Z06 exhaust and have all Z06 parts from tip to tail. I went with option 3 and the install was smooth. I don't think the Z06 exhaust fits, however, if your car is an automatic.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm using Walker Dynomax reducers on mine with clamps. Straight bolt on with no welding.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1291/1870/279077.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1291/1870/279078.jpg
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
SorcererXIII
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSIXX1
I cut my stock mid pipe about 8 inches in front of the hanger and I cut the H-pipe to the required length then I got 2 reducers made up at a exhaust shop the reducers need to be made so they fit over a 3 inch pipe on one end and on the other it needs to fit over a 2.5 inch pipe and I used band clamps and I have no leaks.

Check out the link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...o-results.html
Thanks, really informative. If you browse that discussion eventually someone points out that the further you go back in the exhaust, the less the diameter matters, which was something that had me a little worried - as if I might cancel out the whole effect by not having a 3" exhaust.

Originally Posted by Zteve
I don't think the Z06 exhaust fits, however, if your car is an automatic.
It happens to be a manual. From what I gather, though, the Z06 muffler isn't much of an improvement over the NPP, which I already have (and paid for).

Originally Posted by 8850
I'm using Walker Dynomax reducers on mine with clamps. Straight bolt on with no welding.
I was actually looking at those exact reducers. You still have to cut the H and mid-pipe, though, correct?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SorcererXIII
I was actually looking at those exact reducers. You still have to cut the H and mid-pipe, though, correct?
Yes, you have to cut both pipes. Measure from the mounting holes to get the correct lenghts.

The C6 and Z06 H pipes are on different centerlines is why I cut mine so far up the Z06 H pipe. I wanted to minimize the angle going into the mufflers.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
ArcticT
Racer

I just finished up putting them on my '08 tonight and it went suprisingly well. I also bought a Bassani catback for a Z06 (3") and everything bolted right up. You'll need the correct manifold gaskets, which I got from Gene Culley, and also the oval gaskets on the tailend of the manifold. That's it other than unwrapping the front O2 sensors a little so they reach the bungs which are a little further down than the stock locations.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The stock LS3 steel exhaust manifold gaskets work fine. Not sure why everyone is suggesting you need LS7 manifold gaskets.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

I did the same thing, kept my NPP.I have am auto, so the muffler shop just cut and flared out the H-pipe to bolt up to the NPP. I like the way it sounds now. You will like it
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Andork
Advanced

I'd just got hip to this idea of putting Z06 exhaust on a base C6. I like the idea as it'll look stock and aid in, shall we say, the "visual inspection"!

My question is what hp difference is there in general between the base C6 exhaust and the Z06 exhaust (excluding the axle back - but everything from the engine to the axle back).

And what kind of prices have z06 owners been selling their take off exhaust for?

thx....!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 PM
C6_Lando
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zteve
If you go with the Z06 manifolds and cats, you have a couple options of what comes next. (1) You can have a muffler shop modify your stock X pipe to mate up to the 3" cats. (2) You can use a Z06 X pipe and have a muffler shop fabricate a bit to mate exhaust to the X pipe, or (3) Get the Z06 exhaust and have all Z06 parts from tip to tail. I went with option 3 and the install was smooth. I don't think the Z06 exhaust fits, however, if your car is an automatic.
Did you notice a big difference with that while system on your vette I'm thinking of doing it to my 09 ls3
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

i did this a few years back on my 09 csc..
look under my name and there is an old post...hope it helps , it was a lotta work , but passes CA smog laws..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s7+install+ls3
Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Zteve
Racer

Originally Posted by C6_Lando
Did you notice a big difference with that while system on your vette I'm thinking of doing it to my 09 ls3
I did mine along with a supercharger so I have no idea what the exhaust alone was worth
Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bud miller
i did this a few years back on my 09 csc..
look under my name and there is an old post...hope it helps , it was a lotta work , but passes CA smog laws..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s7+install+ls3
maybe 7-10 rwhp with a tune...i did it because i live in kaliforneia, and it was a low budget deal....
Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 PM
C6_Lando
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bud miller
maybe 7-10 rwhp with a tune...i did it because i live in kaliforneia, and it was a low budget deal....
I'm also in cali stupid smog laws

Get notified of new replies

To What is needed to install LS7 exhaust manifold on LS3?

Quick Reply: What is needed to install LS7 exhaust manifold on LS3?