C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors won't lock/unlock with FOB

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Doors won't lock/unlock with FOB

HELP! Does anyone know why I can lock/unlock my 08Z06 from inside the car with the FOB, but once outside I can't? The security light goes on, car beeps, etc when lock button on FOB pushed, but doors still open. The hatch will open, but doors won't lock. Do the FOBs need to be resync'd or programmed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If the fob is working from inside the car, it doesn't need to be "resynced" or reprogrammed. However, there are several possible problems.

1. The antenna nearest the door you're entering may not be detecting the fob when you press the fob button from outside the car. It may be weak or otherwise faulty.

2. Where/how are you holding the fob when outside the car? Maybe something else you're holding or carrying in your pocket while outside the car is blocking the signal, then you shift locations or it's otherwise not blocking the signal inside the car.

3. There's a strong electronic signal outside the car, but somewhere nearby, and it's interfering with the signal outside the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, mine started doing this tonight. Horn honks and lights blink but sure as shet, both doors are still unlocked. I tried it 3 times. Wierd but I'm not messing with it tonight, hope it's there tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
C6vettegfw (05-12-2017)
Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried inside and outside the garage and at work. Really wierd. Is there anything else to check? Do you know where the antennas are located so I check them out?

Thx,
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by H1ghlndr
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried inside and outside the garage and at work. Really wierd. Is there anything else to check? Do you know where the antennas are located so I check them out?

Thx,
There are 4 antennas.

1. beside the slot in the glove box
2. just above and forward of the gas door
3. same as #2, but on passenger side
4. just below rear lid/trunk latch

They look like this:

Name:  DSC01447640x480.jpg
Views: 4703
Size:  41.0 KB

The antenna, more than likely, are not the problem. I have a flood car that was completely submerged in salt water for days and I still have the same antenna that came in it. My guess would be the RCDLR. This is the module that reads the antenna and makes the clicking noise you hear coming from the top middle of the dash. I'd take it by the dealer and see if a re-program is in order.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are saying that the door opens after you lock the car with the fob from outside the car, the door will open as long as you have the fob. Try locking the car put the fob somewhere else and then try opening the door. The fob will automatically unlock the locks when you are in possession of it.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
ZPO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

HELP! Does anyone know why I can lock/unlock my 08Z06 from inside the car with the FOB, but once outside I can't? The security light goes on, car beeps, etc when lock button on FOB pushed, but doors still open. The hatch will open, but doors won't lock. Do the FOBs need to be resync'd or programmed?

Thanks in advance!
Is the following what you're experiencing???
I thought I was going crazy as well. But I realized that the car unlocks itself when you approach it with the FOB. I need to recheck the manual and then scroll through the settings you can set on the DIC, (driver's info center). If I lock it with the FOB walk about 20 feet away put the FOB down and walk back to the car the doors are actually locked.
Yeah, I'm old and this high tech stuff is passing me by.

However, there is a tech bulletin from GM about certain RFI interference causing some FOB and or starting issues: (see below)

08-08-47-001: Keyless Access System Description, Operation and Possible Customer Concerns - (Mar 13, 2008)

Subject: Keyless Access System Description, Operation and Possible Customer Concerns

Models: 2004-2008 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V

2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Attention: A copy of this bulletin may be given to your customer to assist you in explaining the proper operation, features and possible symptoms of external radio frequency interference on the Keyless Access System.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do This: Read this bulletin and offer the information to your customers.
Don't Do This: Do not replace the remote door lock receiver.

This bulletin is designed to offer some guidance on the expected and proper operation of the Keyless Access System. The Keyless Access System is essentially both a "wireless" and portable technology that transmits and receives radio frequencies. These types of technologies, whether being your cell phone, a wireless computer, or other electronic devices, are susceptible to external interference which may temporarily affect system performance. This does not indicate that any defect in the system exists, nor should any components be replaced for this type of concern. The information below will further acquaint you and your customer with the identification of external interference and the back-ups available to easily restore expected system operation.
System Description
The Keyless Access System is a vehicle entry and starting system that allows you to operate the vehicle without removing the key fob (transmitter/receiver) from a purse or pocket. With the vehicle locked, the operator simply walks up to either door and squeezes the door handle switch. If a known fob is recognized, the door will unlock and open. After entering the vehicle (with a valid fob), the owner presses the brake pedal, and pushes the start button. When the fob is recognized, the vehicle will start.

Explanation of Passive Entry
A passive entry event is one where the fob is automatically recognized when the door handle switch is activated (no buttons are pressed on fob to unlock door prior to opening). Passive door unlocking can be configured in the DIC personalization menu so that just the driver door unlocks when a passive entry event occurs or both doors unlock. When doing passive entry at the passenger door, both doors will always unlock.

The vehicle has several antennas inside and outside the vehicle to detect if a fob is present. For example, when the driver door handle switch is pressed, the vehicle first transmits a signal to any fob on the INSIDE of the vehicle to NOT respond. This is called a sleep command. The sleep command temporarily instructs any fobs on the inside of the vehicle not to respond to the door antennas. The sleep command is used so that if you have someone sitting in a locked vehicle with a valid fob, the fob inside the vehicle will not allow a door to open from the outside handle switch. After the sleep command, the driver door antenna turns on so that it can detect a fob on the outside of the driver door. If one is found, the door is unlocked.

Possible Concerns
Whenever you are using a complex radio frequency system to judge proximity and location, there are certain limitations and variables that may arise. Both the vehicle architecture (fiberglass body) and the environment surrounding the vehicle may contribute to some variability in system performance. A common possible concern is when the sleep command extends just slightly outside the vehicles interior. Under this scenario, the door may not open when a fob is very close to the door handle switch (refer to the graphic below). Moving the fob away from the handle switch will restore normal system operation.

Passive Entry Zones

(1) Entry Area
(2) Potential Inactive (Overlap) Area
(3) Sleep Area

Refer to the section on "Interference" below for other issues that may cause problems with passive entry.

Vehicle Starting
Again, there are several antennas in the vehicle that detect the fob’s presence in the vehicle’s interior. These antennas are turned ON by relays in the controlling module. A slight clicking noise or chatter may be heard when the antennas are turned on. This is a normal and expected system function.

When the start button is pushed, the antennas are turned ON so that they may detect a fob on the inside of the vehicle. If a valid fob is found, the vehicle is allowed to start. The starting range may extend slightly outside of the vehicle, but not more than 10-12 inches (25-30 cm).

Refer to the section on "Interference" below for other issues that may cause problems with vehicle starting.

Interference
The Keyless Access System relies on radio frequency (RF) signals to allow passive entry and starting. It is possible that other devices may interfere with the RF signals. These types of devices include (but are not limited to) cell phone chargers, two-way radios, power inverters, computers, etc. The most common type of interference is from cell phone chargers (regardless of whether the cell phone is plugged into it or not). High RF traffic areas, such as gas stations which use pay-at-the-pump RF transponders, may also cause interference that could lead to a customer perceived malfunction.
The Keyless Access system operates by using two separate radio frequencies.

Important: GM’s devices conform to all FCC and Industry Canada regulations. Not all radiating devices that are sold publicly conform to the same regulations and can cause interference with the system’s operation.

The way to determine if devices inside your vehicle are interfering with the Keyless Access System is to hold the fob directly next to the suspect device and press the start button. If the DIC displays "No Fob Detected," this device is likely causing a disruption to the system. Usually, keeping the fob farther away from the device will correct the problem. Changing parts in the system (fob/receiver) will normally not correct this issue. The source of the interference must be eliminated.

Occasionally, it is possible to be in an area where external interference is present. For instance, parking directly under a radio transmitter tower may cause issues with entry or starting. The vehicle is equipped with backups and safeguards to assist you in entry and starting.

Passive Entry
If interference is present, it may be difficult to passively enter the vehicle by squeezing the door handle switch. If this is the case, try pressing the unlock button on the fob. If the door still will not unlock and open, use the mechanical key to unlock the trunk/hatch. The rear key cylinder is located in the rear fascia for the XLR and directly above the license plate in the Corvette. Once the rear trunk/hatch is opened, there is a door release cable on the left side of the trunk interior. Pull this handle to pop the door open.

Corvette Hatch Lock Cylinder Location

XLR Trunk Lock Cylinder Location

No FOB Detected DIC Message
Try moving the fob to different locations within the vehicle. If moving the fob to different locations does not help, place the fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing to the right and then press the START button. As long as the vehicle’s battery is sufficiently charged, the vehicle will start.

FOB Detection Pocket/Slot

Key-In Reminder
If this feature is turned on, the vehicle will notify you with three quick horn chirps, indicating that a fob has been left in the vehicle. This feature operates after the vehicle has been turned off, the driver door has been opened, and then closed, and two seconds elapse. After the two second timer cycle, the vehicle looks for the fob on the interior of the vehicle. (Keep in mind that the fob may be determined to be "inside" of the vehicle even if it is slightly outside.) In order to avoid getting the Key-In Reminder warning, make sure the fob is moved so that it is at least 1 foot (30 cm) outside of the vehicle when closing the door. Upon opening the driver door after the Key-In Reminder warning activates, the Key-In Reminder chime will sound. This is normal.

Although the Key-In Reminder warning (horn chirps) only occurs after the first driver door closure, all subsequent opening and closing of the driver door will still cause the Key-In Reminder feature to search for the fob on the inside of the vehicle.

Passive Door Locking
If this feature is turned on, the vehicle will automatically lock itself after all doors have been closed, a slight delay has occurred, and at least one fob has left the vehicle. For example: when the engine is turned off, the vehicle counts the number of fobs on the "inside" of the vehicle. When the driver door is opened and then closed, there’s a delay of two seconds before the vehicle searches for fobs on the "inside" of the vehicle again. If the number of fobs has been reduced by at least one, the doors will lock eight seconds later. If the number of fobs has not been reduced, the vehicle waits eight seconds and then counts the number of fobs on the "inside" of the vehicle one last time. Again, if the number of fobs has decreased by at least one, the doors will lock. If no fobs have been removed from the vehicle, it will not lock. This feature can be personalized so that it is "off," "silent" (lights will flash) or "horn."

As described previously, interference can disrupt the system. If interference disrupts the system, the fob may not be detected, causing the vehicle to lock. To avoid accidental locking of the vehicle, do not leave a fob on the inside of the vehicle when passive locking is enabled. To turn off passive locking for one ignition cycle, press the unlock switch on the driver door until a double beep is heard with the door open and the vehicle off. Passive locking will not re-enable until the next time the ignition is turned on.

Personalization
The system utilizes information based on the current driver ID. The driver ID will change based on several actions:

Tip
The driver ID controls are located on the driver door.

If the "1" is pressed, the driver ID will change to driver 1 settings. If the "2" is pressed, the driver ID will change to driver 2 settings.
When the driver door is opened by using the passive unlocking feature, the lowest numbered fob will control the driver ID. For instance, if fobs 1 and 2 approach the driver door and a passive unlock is performed, the driver ID will change to driver 1 settings.
Any time a button is pressed on the fob, the driver ID will change. For instance, if driver 2 approaches the vehicle and presses the unlock button on the fob, the driver ID will change to 2 (even if driver 1 has just entered the vehicle by doing a passive unlock event).
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Last edited by ZPO; 05-03-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I checked last night and when the FOB is really far from the car it is locked. This is strange because it has not been like this in the past. I would be able to lock it in the garage and double check that it was locked with FOB in my hand. I went to personal settings and turned off all the auto lock/unlock stuff. It started doing this after the battery was completely dead.

Is there something else?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Xwet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the FOB battery. I had the same issue. Replacing the battery fixed the issue.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I checked last night and when the FOB is really far from the car it is locked. This is strange because it has not been like this in the past. I would be able to lock it in the garage and double check that it was locked with FOB in my hand. I went to personal settings and turned off all the auto lock/unlock stuff. It started doing this after the battery was completely dead.

Is there something else?
I think you have to be within 5 feet for the door to unlock. When at the outside driver side door, the passenger side will not unlock unless you walk around to that door, or open the driver door and push the manual passenger unlock button. Also the car will not start unless the fob is inside of the car.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xwet
Change the FOB battery. I had the same issue. Replacing the battery fixed the issue.
That may solve the problem. Worth a try.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:25 PM
JE 85
1st Gear

Help my key fobs are not working properly. tried to reprogram remotes as manual suggest. Place key in lock at rear or car above plate turn key 5 times I get nothing no message on DIC . Tried this several times nothing don't know what do do next

Get notified of new replies

To Doors won't lock/unlock with FOB

Quick Reply: Doors won't lock/unlock with FOB