C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery Install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by theofel
Iv'e had the Braille battery installed for two years (40,000 miles)without any problems. My ride is an 08 LS3 with the battery relocated to the passenger side cubby hole. FYI... My battery dimensions are 7" long...6" high...4" wide. I don't remember the weight...but...17 lbs seems to ring a bell.
The Braille and Deka are the same battery, except for the stickers, and you paid more for the Braille. EastPenn makes both, and also makes them under the Big Crank label. 17.5 pounds is exactly what mine weighed so we definately have the same battery. The Braille is available with a carbon case on certain models. Other than that it is identical.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

About the concern that if you leave your car for 6 weeks the battery will be dead.
My OEM battery was dead after sitting for 8 days at home and the dealer replaced it under warranty but before replacing it he told me not to leave the car sitting for over a week due to the high current draw of the electronics.

I thought that was ridiculous.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I was considering this battery with a relocation to the rear to make room for a larger supercharger coolant tank but the "old school" in me just can't get over what you give up in performance. Even the so-so factory battery is 590 CCA and 110AH. I guess you could make the arguement that newer cars with better fueling and ignitions no longer need the extra "umph" to start but this battery has 1/2 the cranking amperage of the stock battery and an even lesser fraction of reserve capacity.

Deka ETX18L Powersports AGM Battery
CCA: 300
20 AH

18 lbs
8 1/8" x 3 9/16" x 6 3/8"
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I was considering this battery with a relocation to the rear to make room for a larger supercharger coolant tank but the "old school" in me just can't get over what you give up in performance. Even the so-so factory battery is 590 CCA and 110AH. I guess you could make the arguement that newer cars with better fueling and ignitions no longer need the extra "umph" to start but this battery has 1/2 the cranking amperage of the stock battery and an even lesser fraction of reserve capacity.

Deka ETX18L Powersports AGM Battery
CCA: 300
20 AH

18 lbs
8 1/8" x 3 9/16" x 6 3/8"
That's a very conservative rating. Braille rates the same battery more optimistically.

That said I wouldn't recommend the ETX18L for a rear cubby location because of the long cabling and increased resistance, although several here have done it.

One of the reasons I chose this model is because I mounted it in the stock C6 location. I was trying to reduce weight, and by the time you add cabling for a rear cubby location and thereby increase resistance, you should probably choose a larger battery (some members here have mounted the ETX18L in the rear with no problems). You don't wind up saving much (if any) weight. Check the title of this thread.

I've had many members pm me for details about my battery install so I've made a miniature "how to" with additional information. PM me if you want a copy.

I live in Southern California. I drive my car at least once a week, but the car did sit for three weeks without being charged and started up fine. I've had this battery for over a year with no issues.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ryoder
About the concern that if you leave your car for 6 weeks the battery will be dead.
My OEM battery was dead after sitting for 8 days at home and the dealer replaced it under warranty but before replacing it he told me not to leave the car sitting for over a week due to the high current draw of the electronics.

I thought that was ridiculous.
If your car sits for 6 weeks at a time I wouldn't recommend the ETX18L (or any AGM battery) unless you use an AGM-specific charger. NOT a normal or trickle charger, but an AGM-specific charger. High current draw is nonsense IMHO.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already had a CTEK battery tender. its good for AGM. There are at least 2 dozen threads on using a battery tender for these cars. thats why i use one. Deka battery is fine going on 6 weeks. heat of houston 100+ F heat index for several weeks now.

My SC car has:
aux fuel pump
1800 watt stereo
methanol pump
these aren't powered up on start up.

The Deka battery has been in the cubbie for 6 weeks now. installed the 2 wire gauge power lead. negative is grounded to car frame less than a foot.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-cubbie.html
Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by drivinfast
I already had a CTEK battery tender. its good for AGM. There are at least 2 dozen threads on using a battery tender for these cars. thats why i use one. Deka battery is fine going on 6 weeks. heat of houston 100+ F heat index for several weeks now.

My SC car has:
aux fuel pump
1800 watt stereo
methanol pump
these aren't powered up on start up.

The Deka battery has been in the cubbie for 6 weeks now. installed the 2 wire gauge power lead. negative is grounded to car frame less than a foot.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-cubbie.html
Thanks for posting. It's a great battery. I've never used a battery tender for it.

Any idea how much the parts to move the battery to the cubby weighed? I'm partially interested because I may go with an Accusump in that area.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oldmansan
Thanks for posting. It's a great battery. I've never used a battery tender for it.

Any idea how much the parts to move the battery to the cubby weighed? I'm partially interested because I may go with an Accusump in that area.

San
I got a pretty good benefit replacing the yellow top Optima at 44 lbs. i sold it used to a C5 guy, it paid for the cable and terminals

you may have to cut some of the steel out for the accusump to gain more depth

yep, i weighed the stuff.
2 gage positive run cable 4lbs
I kept the OEM cables and reused them.
tray -1lbs

Last edited by drivinfast; 07-18-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

you may have to cut some of the steel out for the accusump to gain more depth

yep, i weighed the stuff.
2 gage positive run cable 4lbs
I kept the OEM cables and reused them.
tray -1lbs
Thanks. Sounds reasonable.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

If you want the "how-to" document please pm me a valid email address. Thanks.

San
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

That's a very conservative rating. Braille rates the same battery more optimistically.

That said I wouldn't recommend the ETX18L for a rear cubby location because of the long cabling and increased resistance, although several here have done it.

One of the reasons I chose this model is because I mounted it in the stock C6 location. I was trying to reduce weight, and by the time you add cabling for a rear cubby location and thereby increase resistance, you should probably choose a larger battery (some members here have mounted the ETX18L in the rear with no problems). You don't wind up saving much (if any) weight. Check the title of this thread.

I've had many members pm me for details about my battery install so I've made a miniature "how to" with additional information. PM me if you want a copy.

I live in Southern California. I drive my car at least once a week, but the car did sit for three weeks without being charged and started up fine. I've had this battery for over a year with no issues.

San
FYI...You can't mount a regular size battery in an 08 rear passenger side cubby without removing some electronics. The 05,06,07 passenger side rear cubby is large enough for a larger battery but not the 08. I would love to save money and I will definetly look at the Deka batteries next time around. Braille makes a 17lb battery as well as a18lb...slightly different dimensions and cranking specs. By using a good grade marine cable (4 guage) you still save weight, but more importantly you change weight (BALANCE) transfer to the back wheels. The battery also stays cooler when removed from the engine compartment...should last longer.

Last edited by theofel; 07-18-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by theofel
FYI...You can't mount a regular size battery in an 08 rear passenger side cubby without removing some electronics. The 05,06,07 passenger side rear cubby is large enough for a larger battery but not the 08. I would love to save money and I will definetly look at the Deka batteries next time around. Braille makes a 17lb battery as well as a18lb...slightly different dimensions and cranking specs. By using a good grade marine cable (4 guage) you still save weight, but more importantly you change weight (BALANCE) transfer to the back wheels. The battery also stays cooler when removed from the engine compartment...should last longer.
There is another factor. Some batteries are made for interiors (non-gassing) and some aren't. Just pointing this out.

I understand that moving the battery to the rear can help with balance. I agree that the battery is cooler when removed from the engine compartment, that's why I wrapped my battery in heat insulation shielding. Life is a compromise.

San
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
pbsis
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to bring back an old thread, even if I do think its super informative. But I am getting ready to buy this battery for my 08 z. Can someone give me the model number or confirm that this is the one I need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content

also will I need anything else terminal wise for this battery. I wont be laying it down as the OP did because mine will be in the stock z06 cubby hole location so It will be standing.

Thanks
Paul
Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by pbsis
Hate to bring back an old thread, even if I do think its super informative. But I am getting ready to buy this battery for my 08 z. Can someone give me the model number or confirm that this is the one I need

also will I need anything else terminal wise for this battery. I wont be laying it down as the OP did because mine will be in the stock z06 cubby hole location so It will be standing.

Thanks
Paul
That's what I bought, and from the same vendor as well.

San
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Thanks
Paul
you will need the adapter posts so the stock Z06 OEM cables will fasten
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
pbsis
Heel & Toe

you will need the adapter posts so the stock Z06 OEM cables will fasten
can you point me in the right direction for something like that. All I am finding is JL audio top mount adapters.

Do you have this battery in your z06 any issues with it not having a vent tube?

EDIT: found the part number that I assume works
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-3217-0006
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

can you point me in the right direction for something like that. All I am finding is JL audio top mount adapters.

Do you have this battery in your z06 any issues with it not having a vent tube?

EDIT: found the part number that I assume works
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-3217-0006
yep correct # I have it in my C6. my cubbie is vented because of the cables coming to it... so if the stock Z06 cubbie is vented, no prob...the battery comes with vent tubes BTW

Get notified of new replies

To Lightweight Battery Install (Pics)

Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
pbsis
Heel & Toe

ok awesome thanks for your help! Placing my order now. The big crank etx18l is the same as the deka correct
Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

ok awesome thanks for your help! Placing my order now. The big crank etx18l is the same as the deka correct
the link you provided above appears to cost $140 something. I paid like $80 or so
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM
artinist
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The way I have it mounted (on its back) it is 3.5" tall, 8" wide and 6.5" front to back. Stock battery was 6.75" high, 9.5" wide and 6.75" front to back.

San
Thanks for the write up. after so many years, this battery still seems to be the best lightweight solution unless you want to spend $300+ on a marginally better lithium unit

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Install (Pics)