C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Convertible Top Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
bryantbjb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Convertible Top Pump

With living at the coast we only have a short period of time to enjoy our convertible tops. Well, it is going to 75 degrees this weekend and as I went to lower my power top it just stopped. You can hear the pump running but it does not have enough power to pull the top back and open the storage compartment. If you help by pushing it you can get it to stow. Same in reverse, the storage compartment will pop open, but not enough power to lift the top.

Engine is on so no battery issue. Took it to the dealer and have an appointment on Wednesday. Sure hope we get this somehow resolved by June 01, 2009 as that is the deadline for GM. Still under factory warranty.

I have an 05 with 20,000 miles on the clock. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Bryant
Old 05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
LeMansBlueVert
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May look at the hydraulic release screw, may need to tighten up to fully activate the top pump. My top won't work either but I broke my switch Fri putting in a new color matched dash so I feel your pain. Good luck with fix and let us know what happened.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
bryantbjb
Pro

Thanks for the tip. Tried that last night. No luck. I am hoping that it is something that can be fixed at the dealer. If not, the big wait for parts starts.

I'll know on Wednesday.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
bryantbjb
Pro

Ended up being one of the hydraulic cylinders on the power top motor. Parts ordered from Lansing and hopefully shipped today.

Guess that there are four (4) cylinders that pump the hydralics through the system and one failed.

Glad that the parts are on the way and not caught up in the whole GM mess.

Bryant
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 AM
bryantbjb
Pro

The new cylinder arrived and after 3 hours - no luck. No real way to measure the system pressure.

They are now replacing the entire convertible pump system. Hopefully, by Friday.

Good timing as my factory warranty expires next month.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
bryantbjb
Pro

Issue resolved

The power top needed a complete new hydraulic pump system. Once the parts arrived it was a 3 hour install. When I got the service report, it stated that the pump unit cost $1,225.00 not including installation time. Wow, that would have been a big cost - good to still be under warranty.

Just positing the results.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
dolf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what others have experienced but I'm on my third pump in 13K miles. Seems to be a significant weakness in the system.
Good luck!
Tim
Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

I have a power top and don't like what I am reading. I have to admit every time I use mine and there is that moment (for a few seconds) that the movement of everything apparently stops, I always wonder if it will continue of if I am stuck in the middle of it being half way up or down.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
bryantbjb
Pro

The replacement pump was not the same as the original pump. When I went to look for the pressure release key it was not there on the replacement. The mechanic placed it in the glove box - no place on the replacement pump to store the key.

The service report listed 4-5 bulletins regarding top issues.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

I wanted a manual top when I bought my 2006 but couldn't find one. At any rate the power top has worked good for the past 3 years but I know it's just a matter of time before it fails.

It IS a Chevy you know.

Tom
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
z06_23_45
Racer

Originally Posted by LeMansBlueVert
May look at the hydraulic release screw, may need to tighten up to fully activate the top pump. My top won't work either but I broke my switch Fri putting in a new color matched dash so I feel your pain. Good luck with fix and let us know what happened.

When you say hydraulic release screw you are talking about the one under the hatch behind the driver's seat? Also, when you say tighten do you mean fully tighten by hand or should it just be slightly tightened?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by z06_23_45
When you say hydraulic release screw you are talking about the one under the hatch behind the driver's seat? Also, when you say tighten do you mean fully tighten by hand or should it just be slightly tightened?
It's under the tonneau cover behind the passenger seat, under the carpet. It should be slightly tightened with the supplied allen wrench.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 AM
z06_23_45
Racer

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE
It's under the tonneau cover behind the passenger seat, under the carpet. It should be slightly tightened with the supplied allen wrench.

The manual says the pump is located in the engine compartment and that is where you would loosen or tighten the screw I would assume?? I can't seem to find it though. Where exactly are you saying it is located? Under the carpet by the speaker??
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You have to raise the tonneau cover to access it. There is a cord underneath the cover that you can pull to manually release the tonneau cover, then lift it slowly. There is a piece of velco on top of the pump that has the allen wrench stuck to it.

Last edited by 'VETTE PHASE; 08-23-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 AM
z06_23_45
Racer

Ok I just saw it and got to it but that screw is on there pretty damn tight. My top is basically getting stuck sometimes going down but for the most part on the way up. Is there anything else it could be? Or am I SOL and its gonna die soon?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Larry Pelton
1st Gear

Default Tonneau cable

Thanks to your 8-22 post, I finally found the top pump on my new (to me) 2005 convertible on the passenger side as shown on your diagram - not where the owners manual says it is! I still haven't found the tonneau cover release cord underneath the cover that you mention. Is it close to the latch? is it under the carpet somewhere?

Also, your diagram shows a luggage barrier switch on the right side that I don't understand. I found a switch on the left side barrier snap post that prevents lowering the top if the barrier is not snapped shut. Is there an additional switch or possibly it is just a little different on my year.

I am planning a trip that will probably involve rain and I am trying to at least learn some of the alternate procedures since I love driving with the top down and my luck on things like this is usually not good.

Thanks,
Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Power Convertible Top Pump

Quick Reply: Power Convertible Top Pump