C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part II (post breakin)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part II (post breakin)

Stage 3 Monster Clutch with Billet Steel Flywheel Review – Part II

"Part I" of this review consists of my initial impressions of the clutch (after installing it). Part I of the review is located at: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ew-part-i.html

During the break in period I noticed very little chattering. Only when trying to start from a complete stop with the RPMs very low (e.g. ~1000 RPM) could I get the clutch to chatter. What did happen (until the clutch was broken in) was that the clutch would "chirp" when starting from a dead stop. When shifting into the second gear the clutch would also sometimes make a chirp sound, but this time the chirp would be shorter in length. The "chirping" sound was noticeable enough that just about any passenger I had would comment on it and ask what it was. I was not worried about the sound (I figured it would go away as the clutch was broken in), but I called Monster none-the-less to hear what their opinion was. Monster stated the sound was "OK" and that it was just the clutch surfaces not being mated to each other yet. Sure enough, a few hundred miles later the chirping sound disappeared.

How well can the clutch be slipped? From what I can remember of my stock clutch, I think this clutch can actually be slipped more than the stock clutch.

How is the clutch for driving? 99% of my driving is "stop and go" city driving. I think the DIC on my car reports my average speed as being something like 20 MPH? The clutch is a dream to use in stop and go traffic. The clutch pedal pressure is great, and when combined with a clutch that can be slipped, stop and go traffic is of no concern.

For pedal feel and driviability, the stock clutch was great. I find the Monster Stage 3 clutch to be even better. The Monster Stage 3 clutch being good up to 700 RWHP / 700 RWTQ is just an added bonus. :-)

A friend of mine has the Monster Stage 6.5. That clutch is a single disc and is rated for 900 RWHP / 900 RWTQ. The clutch pedal is stiffer, but is in no way "crazy stiff". I have felt/used clutches that were stiffer and yet did not hold nearly as much power.

Job well done Monster!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
99-LS1-SS
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this review of the stage 3 Monster clutch. I don't have a Corvette but I do have a G8 GXP with the LS3 and TR6060 in it. The stock clutch is terrible! I'm getting a stage 3 Monster clutch installed next week and I was wondering how it would drive. I feel much better after reading both of your reviews. I'm now looking forward to this clutch even more!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Good info, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
wooden
Racer

I have a monster stage 3 as well and agree with everything you wrote, I am running 675 rwhp. and no problems.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the great write up!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 377 Likes on 191 Posts

link to purchase the monster clutch? I am very interested
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
wooden
Racer

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
link to purchase the monster clutch? I am very interested
call Mike at eastcoast corvettes 18644041776,he is a vendor on here.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 AM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Clutch is going strong and driving great.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part II (post breakin)

Quick Reply: Stage 3 Monster Clutch Review - Part II (post breakin)