C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF in DIC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF in DIC!!!

Has anyone experienced this? My Temperature gauge is not functioning and the DIC reads ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF. The car ('06 Z51 LS2) is NOT overheating, though. My first thought is that the 60 amp fuse for the radiator fan or the fuse which controls the Temp gauge is blown, but both fuses are O.K. I am running a Messiere electric water pump with 160* stat and a DeWitts hi-capacity radiator. All seems well, though--the engine runs fine and no overheating. The connectors seem well attached from the water pump. The car only has 14K miles, but the warranty time is expired (36K/3 Year). What should I look for other than the obvious? TIA for any help. Although the car isn't overheating, I don't want to drive it without a functioning Temp gauge. HELP!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

bad coolant temp sensor or sensor wires on the plug

check it out by the alternator on the block 2 wire connector
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default Thanx for the tip

Thanx, dvandentop, I'll check that in the morning light.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Check codes, most likely you are getting a "coolant undertemp" code because the engine isn't coming up to temp as quickly as the ECM expects.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default Temp Gauge problem

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Check codes, most likely you are getting a "coolant undertemp" code because the engine isn't coming up to temp as quickly as the ECM expects.
Thanx for the tip, 6Speeder. I don't think it's undertemp because when I start the car up, the gauges all do that needle sweep as normal, however, the temp gauge fails to get off the baseline, which is telling me that it is operating, but not getting any feedback on engine temp. The electric water pump is operating because I can hear it and the belt is running fine also. The 160* stat/electric pump/fan temps have been reset during a tune from Jeremy Formato, so I know the set-up is correct. Many thanx for your input. I'll post the results after I've had a chance to check-out the temp sensor. Ray
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YLOFEVR
Has anyone experienced this? My Temperature gauge is not functioning and the DIC reads ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF. The car ('06 Z51 LS2) is NOT overheating, though. My first thought is that the 60 amp fuse for the radiator fan or the fuse which controls the Temp gauge is blown, but both fuses are O.K. I am running a Messiere electric water pump with 160* stat and a DeWitts hi-capacity radiator. All seems well, though--the engine runs fine and no overheating. The connectors seem well attached from the water pump. The car only has 14K miles, but the warranty time is expired (36K/3 Year). What should I look for other than the obvious? TIA for any help. Although the car isn't overheating, I don't want to drive it without a functioning Temp gauge. HELP!!!
Yes, I recently have been encountering this...Both the digital as well as the analog gage both drop to "zero", and then the message appears. If I shut the car down for a few hours and re-start it, the message is still there but after a few miles of driving, the gages jump to the actual temperature and every thing is normal again. I too have the 160 degree thermostat.

I am still trying to get a better handle on the problem and at the moment believe it is a sensor problem. So far it has only happened on cooler days. If this remains the case, it maybe as some suggested, a problem with the vehicle taking too long to heat up to operating temperature.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

How do you check for these codes? I know you can check codes on the C5 through the DIC but I am not sure how to do it on the C6...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

You need a tool. I use the Predator to scan and check/clear codes. Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc. will usually check codes for free.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Its the sensor in the head (ECT), try unplugging it. if nothing changes or the gauges are zeroed with XXX, its the sensor.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

so how do you know the car is over heating? obviously, if you fix the gauge the dic message will too.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by carlrx7
so how do you know the car is over heating? obviously, if you fix the gauge the dic message will too.
When mine did this I could tell by touch that the engine wasn't that hot, I checked it with an infrared heat tool, it was well below 200 degrees. Check codes before you go replacing anything.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

When mine did this I could tell by touch that the engine wasn't that hot, I checked it with an infrared heat tool, it was well below 200 degrees. Check codes before you go replacing anything.
What code would you get if the problem is the engine not coming up to temperature fast enough? I have the manual and couldn't find a code that would point to this being the problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default XXX in temperature readout

Originally Posted by spdmn75
Its the sensor in the head (ECT), try unplugging it. if nothing changes or the gauges are zeroed with XXX, its the sensor.
Yes, that's what my DIC reads when I run through the gauges menu: XXX
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

i had xxx and it was due to the sensor wires on the plug
Old 10-03-2009, 11:13 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default Sensor wires on ECT

Originally Posted by dvandentop
i had xxx and it was due to the sensor wires on the plug
How did you address this problem? Did you need to get a new sensor wire lead or just fiddle with the wires to make it operative? TIA
Ray
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

pulled the tape back a little bit and also made sure the pins were pushed in all the way also.

i had tried a new sensor but it worked ok for a bit so i knew it had to be the wires. has been working great for over 1 year now
Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default ECT problem

Originally Posted by dvandentop
pulled the tape back a little bit and also made sure the pins were pushed in all the way also.

i had tried a new sensor but it worked ok for a bit so i knew it had to be the wires. has been working great for over 1 year now
Many thanx. I'm going to work on it now. I'll update after trying your suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF in DIC!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Default Back on Track

dvandertop--I putzed around with the connector and wires on the ECT and reset the code on the DIC. I'm not sure which worked, but after filling up with gas, I started the car and the Temp gauge is now functioning and the Code is gone. If you ever get to Baltimore, I'll buy you a crab cake platter to die for. Many thanx for you help. Problem solves--no money spent.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

awesome glad i could help you out, that is the forum is all about!!

Yeah those wires must be really touchy or something. i installed my cam and didnt get the message for over 6 months then in the spring i finally started getting the code. replaced the sensor and didnt have problems. then it started acting up so i knew it had to be in the wires.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

You said you cleared codes. Did you check them first? What codes did you have?

Quick Reply: ENGINE HOT/AIR CONDITIONING OFF in DIC!!!