C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal best today at MIR

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
double a vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy Thansgiving . I do plan to change the trans fluid to synthetic i just havent decided to which one yet. I Did clean the clutch fluid and have been practicing on shifting . Next time to MIR hope will be quicker.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Oh my goodness, you are only one series of speed shifts or powershifts away from running 10.90's or better

I mean, if the video above is you, then I have one question:
Are you sipping some tea between your shifts?

All in all, great runs, you have all the tools to run some 10's and possbily 10.60's with some skinnies.

Thanks,
Carlos

he has some great passes and hope i can get my 2step to work like his since i bought the 2step controller too but have yet to use it...it will take more than a 124 trap speed and skinnies to hit a 10.6 though through an 6speed...i range 129-132 and best i can muster is a 10.76 b/c my 60' are very inconsistent....like i said i hope the new 2step and clutch will fix that...but you can also look at the trap speeds on the fast list of what mph he will need...roughly need at least 129+ trap speed for a 10.6 range...but like i said before his car moves great out of the hole with the 2step and wish only my car could do that...great launching to the OP!!! congrats...i have watched that video numerous times

Last edited by dsp300c; 11-26-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

OK, 2 steps installed and car is all prepped for race day tomorrow!

If I can manage a 1.4 I might have a shot at that 10.76, but thats a long way to go from 11.03...

Thanks Double AA for the idea...

By the way, anybody who bus the 2 step from lingenfelter, beware, the directions could be a lot better..

Hope to see you there Double AA!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

Ok, here is my review...

Lined up with the 2 step about 300rpm less then what I thought the OP he had his set at...

I was tower side and the first to go down the freshly prepped track, brought my rpm's up on the 2 step, launched it at the second yellow light and all it did was redline, I didn't even move 2 inches...

I rung the Passenger side output shaft inside the rear clean off!!!

So much for hardened shafts... In all fairness though, the track was prepped exceptionally well. When I got out to look, I almost lost my shoe from it being so tacky. It bit hard enough to pull the rubber of the track at the starting line and feel like I was running over speed bumps on every tire rotation...

On the way home in the wrecker, Double AA called and asked how it went, and I told him what happened and that I set it less than his 3,700rpm and he then informed me he set his to 2,700, not 3,700!!! What can I say, I'm an idiot...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Man that is a bummer.....but on the bright side, that is a $500 part vs a diff case and transmission!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Bill C
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great runs.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

damn...hope i don't snap anything
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dsp300c
damn...hope i don't snap anything
Yeah really, those manuals are so rough on rears, ya gotta release that clutch just right to avoid breakages.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yeah really, those manuals are so rough on rears, ya gotta release that clutch just right to avoid breakages.
Here are some of the things to think about before using a 2 Step:

The way I have the 2 Step hooked up is, it is activated with the Clutch Position Switch, so you have to have the clutch almost to the floor to keep it activated. The problem with that is, when you start to release the clutch and that switch deativates the 2 Step, you still have at least another 1/3 to 1/2 of the pedal travel left before the clutch begins to hook, that being the case you're now at full throttle and your rpm's are nearing redline by the time the clutch begins to grab. You definitely cant let it out slow or you'll just over rev and if you let it out to fast like I did and you're likely to blow the tires off or BREAK if you dead hook as in my case.

Without changing either where the clutch switch deactivation is or where the clutch begins to release, the trial and error method is pretty risky... I'm not sure how I'm going to remedy this yet, but it will be before I use it again...

I started way too high (3,400 rpm) so I would now recommend trying somewhere around 1,800 to 2,000 rpm until you see how the track conditions are and see how far your rpm's are going to go up by the time the clutch is releasing.

Everything thing is in the setup when using the 2 Step, verses being at the line and manually launching it. When you manually launch it, you have the ability to feather the clutch and gas to get your launch where it needs to be for the track prep and other factors.... With the 2Step, you're totally committed to being at full trottle at the point of initial drivetrain hook up.

Another issue for me is the fact that I have the Phadt poly Engine and Trans mounts which really dont give any to absorb the shock during a hard launch.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

yea...my 2step is activated the same way and was a little far from where my clutch engages like yours does...but LG installed an aluminum block to the back of my clutch so it hits the 2step switch sooner and so the distance b/t the 2step and clutch engagement isn't that far anymore...you may want to try that out...simple, easy, and will fix that problem for you

and the block of aluminum doesn't affect how i drive the car on a normal day...can't even tell it is there...but it can be removed if you want b/c it is attached with a nut and bolt if you ever need to take it out for normal driving and put it back in for the drag strip...

Last edited by dsp300c; 11-30-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

yea...my 2step is activated the same way and was a little far from where my clutch engages like yours does...but LG installed an aluminum block to the back of my clutch so it hits the 2step switch sooner and so the distance b/t the 2step and clutch engagement isn't that far anymore...you may want to try that out...simple, easy, and will fix that problem for you
Thanks, I hadn't thought of putting the block on the clutch pedal, I was contemplating putting a block under the switch, which would of been much harder.

How did they mount the block? Weld or what? I was thinking maybe a good 2 part epoxy...

Did you put a switch in to deactivate it when you driving it around on the street? I did and it works great, it keeps it from backfiring from the fuel loading up...

Have you tried your 2 Step yet?

Last edited by Isaiah48; 11-30-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Isaiah48
Thanks, I hadn't thought of putting the block on the clutch pedal, I was contemplating putting a block under the switch, which would of been much harder.

Did you put a switch in to deactivate it when you driving it around on the street? I did and it works great, it keeps it from backfiring from the fuel loading up...

Have you tried your 2 Step yet?

haven't tried the 2step yet...scared as hell...hahaha...can you blame me? lol...they have it to where i unplug a yellow wire by my battery and it deactivates the 2step for me when i drive it around town...when i go to track all i do is plug the yellow wire together and i am ready to go...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

haven't tried the 2step yet...scared as hell...hahaha...can you blame me? lol...they have it to where i unplug a yellow wire by my battery and it deactivates the 2step for me when i drive it around town...when i go to track all i do is plug the yellow wire together and i am ready to go...
I edited my previous post to include asking as to how they mounted the block to the pedal... Do you know?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

I believe it is put on with nut and bolt. I'll look tonight and take a pic for ya.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I think I'm gonna hold off buying a 2 step!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

I would like to know a lil more info on ops 2 step. He mentioned a relay. What does it do and why is it there? How much distance does he have between 2step and clutch engagement. Does he drop the clutch or is he still able to slip the Clutch.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

I would like to know a lil more info on ops 2 step. He mentioned a relay. What does it do and why is it there? How much distance does he have between 2step and clutch engagement. Does he drop the clutch or is he still able to slip the Clutch.
Great questions that I'd like to know as well...

Get notified of new replies

To Personal best today at MIR

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Bc whatever he does or how he has it set up makes it look so easy and flawless.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Ttt since we have some questions for the OP. Tried to PM you but no response.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Isaiah48
Burning Brakes

The relay is used to enable the Clutch Position Sensor to work without allowing any voltage spikes at the 2 Step and is also where I T'd off from to wire up my switch.

I know I already pm'd you already about this but for anyone else following this thread, RPM warrantied my Output shaft, no questions asked, theyr'e a great Forum Vendor!

I hope to get it by this weekend and try again at a track rental...

Quick Reply: Personal best today at MIR