C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Intermittent Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM
SarahB
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Windshield Wiper Intermittent Issue

I have been having a problem with the intermittent and mist settings for the windshield wiper control. Sometimes while in intermittent mode or when using mist, the wipers will stop on the up-stroke. Sometimes this is a dead stop and sometimes only momentary. Turning the wipers off then back on will complete the cycle when they are dead stuck. The wipers work fine in low and high settings, this is only surfacing in the intermitent and mist modes. This happens even when the car has been sitting in a dry garage for days. I have taken it to the dealership but of course it would not duplicate for them... Has anyone had this issue & resolved it or have an idea of where to start with troubleshooting / parts replacement? (It is a 2005)
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Intermittent wiper problems

There's not much info on your post about mileage, however, if you have a '05 without extended warranty, your factory warranty is expired. This is a relatively common problem with many cars. The problem, of course, is in the wiper handle/timer selection. Once the wipers get stuck, see if you can activate them by gently moving the wiper speed selection without changing the speed setting. If this excercise solves the movement problem, the culprit is in the handle. In any event, it is probably best to have a COMPETENT dealership nearby to do the repair/replacement. You may find that they are willing to "squeek it in" as a warranty issue. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
SarahB
Cruising

Thank you, I will try that. My factory warranty is expired. I have rain-x on the windshield in case they quit all together.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Rainex reigns

Originally Posted by SarahB
Thank you, I will try that. My factory warranty is expired. I have rain-x on the windshield in case they quit all together.
That's actually very effective, and a good idea. I had rainex on my windshield and drove through a torrential rain storm without need of the wipers. I was amazed, but it's true.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
SarahB
Cruising

More info: It rained yesterday and eventually the wipers locked up. Changing only the interval setting in intermittent to a faster wipe interval did not cause the wipers to move, but switching from intermittent to low resulted in them moving again. Turning the wipers off then back on will also cause them to work again once they lock up.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Had same type of problem

with my 95 GMC pickup. There was a recall on the wiper motor, it had too much grease in the housing. The grease got on the circuit board and caused the malfunction. Good luck, and yes, rain-X is awesome. I try to not use my wipers so I don't wear off the rain-X.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Mackzilla
1st Gear

I just had my 2000 model vette checked at our dealership and of coarse they said we dont work on those,But it was the same problem,the wipers started comeing on by themselves and now wont work at all,going to try and check some things myself today.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

These cars have windshield wipers?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Smiley 1
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SarahB
More info: It rained yesterday and eventually the wipers locked up. Changing only the interval setting in intermittent to a faster wipe interval did not cause the wipers to move, but switching from intermittent to low resulted in them moving again. Turning the wipers off then back on will also cause them to work again once they lock up.
I think I might have the same problem. Mine stops whenever I let go of the mist position or when I turn on/change intermittent positions. They do however work in the high and low positions as advertised. What did your problem end up being? A mini-relay? And If so which one?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Smiley 1
2nd Gear

Jumped head first into problem using a wiring diagram and found that mini-relay 42 (under the hood) controls the intermittent wiper setting and the mist/setting position. Purchased a new relay at the dealership for $25, installed it and it now works just as it when we bought it new. Hopefully this helps someone in the future and keeps a few more bucks in their wallet!

Last edited by Smiley 1; 09-24-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:25 AM
SarahB
Cruising

Originally Posted by Smiley 1
Jumped head first into problem using a wiring diagram and found that mini-relay 42 (under the hood) controls the intermittent wiper setting and the mist/setting position. Purchased a new relay at the dealership for $25, installed it and it now works just as it when we bought it new. Hopefully this helps someone in the future and keeps a few more bucks in their wallet!
Thank you! I had decided to live with this issue since I now have another vehicle to drive when it rains. I will replace that relay to see if it resolves my intermittently intermittent wipers also.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Do you remember the part number for mini-relay 42?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Wiper Intermittent Issue

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Intermittent Issue