C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using the Sprint Booster Power Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone Using the Sprint Booster Power Converter

Looked at the product description from Zip Products & just wondering if anyone has actually used this device? Wondering if it actually delivers or if it's just another new smoke-mirrors device to hit the Corvette market that doesn't deliver on advertised benefits?

It is supposed to eliminate the delay between your gas pedal and the throttle body. Also changes the opening rate at which the throttle body opens in relation to the gas pedal operation. Decreases the amount of time to achieve full throttle.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I 've heard about something like that, let us know if it works
Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just looked it up. that thing is like $300. totally not owrith it. just tune the car
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
i just looked it up. that thing is like $300. totally not owrith it. just tune the car
Actually had my car tuned last week. I wasn't really considering buying it for my car but was just wondering if anyone had tried it and curious if it did what the manufacturer claims.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

I have not used it myself yet, I was going to install it in our R&D car and see how it does.
It was the best new product at the SEMA show this year and I looked at it on their test stand operating. What it does is change the opening rate of the throttle body, where as the stock setup as a delay in it, for example when you press the pedal all the way down the blade on the TB gradually opens to full throttle. With this it is a direct relation between the gas pedal and the TB blade, when you command WOT it is WOT instantly. This is not something you can "tune", I have tried. I was skeptical when I first looked at it, but I studied the theory behind it and watched it operated and at least on a test bench it works. Maybe I can get one in a car this week and see if there is any SOTP difference, I am not sure what to look for as far as testing it on a dyno, You should see some power to time difference but I am still trying to figure out a solid test for it. If I thought this was some snake oil product I would not be selling it.
Justin
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can tune what this box claims to do using the latest 2.23 beta of HP Tuners. I've seen the video of the throttle vs gas pedal and the throttle delay in our cars is NOT causes by the actual throttle body opening too slowly.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Zip Corvettes

The 2.23 beta is all maxed out in the Corvette already. The piece is changing something that is not tunable in the PCM. I am going to install one and see what happens. In the beta there is a map that has something similiar to it, but it is already maxed out.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
captain47
Instructor

Default sprint booster

I have one on my solstice gxp and you could tell a big difference on throttle response
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't know what was getting "tuned", but in both my 2005 and 2006 Vettes the improved throttle response was one of the things that I really liked. The '05 was tuned with a Predator, and the '06 with LS2Edit.

I've got a 2009 now, and I plan on leaving the OE tune in it for warranty purposes (at least for a little while!!), but I can tell the throttle is slower to respond than my other 2 C6 Vettes, and it's something I'd really like to improve.

If this thing could improve throttle response without messing with the PCM I might be highly interested!!

Bob
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Zip Corvettes

Bob,
The throttle response you gained from tuning is not the same thing that this is doing. The end result could be the same but not the same path. Your tune was probably something that helped when they tuned the tip in.
The sprint booster changes the reaction of the blade and pedal timing. The TB blade reacts quicker to throttle changes where as the factory on is delayed.
Justin
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jabbott
Bob,
The throttle response you gained from tuning is not the same thing that this is doing. The end result could be the same but not the same path. Your tune was probably something that helped when they tuned the tip in.
The sprint booster changes the reaction of the blade and pedal timing. The TB blade reacts quicker to throttle changes where as the factory on is delayed.
Justin
Hi Justin

Thanks for the info.

I've never had a car with an automatic transmission. I've been driving since I was 15 when I learned on a '59 VW bug. I've still got my first car I got when I got out of college (a 442 with Muncie 4-speed with Hurst shifter), I've still got the car I bought when I made it back from Vietnam (a 911S with 5-speed), I've still got a car I had in the 80's (633 Csi Bimmer with a 5-speed). My wife won't drive an automatic and her Toyota SUV has a 5-speed. Our 3 C6 Vettes have all been manuals. I've had many motorcycles, including my current Harleys.

All that is simply to say that I've been driving manual transmissions for a long, looooong time so I know how to drive one. I can't remember the last time I stalled a car.

That is until I stalled the ZR1 yesterday while driving in traffic!!!!

I've had the car for a month-and-a-half now, and I've almost stalled it several times, and finally did yesterday. The throttle response is really crappy coming off idle. Even when I heel-and-toe it for a throttle blip to rev-match for a downshift, the throttle just doesn't respond very fast and I can feel the clutch grab more than I want.

I assume this will work for all the C6 models, including the ZR1 (I see on their site that they have different models for automatic or manual transmissions).

Is there a forum discount so your price will match the ones for sale on that well known auction site ($295 with free shipping)?

I'm very interested in something like this to avoid tuning the PCM. If you find it really works, and if it will work in a ZR1, I'm in!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-20-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Zip Corvettes

Bob,
I don't have any type of discount to match an auction site. My part is four dollars more expensive and you have to pay shipping. I did not see where you were from before I responded, but shipping would not be expensive. There is one very very important thing though. The auction site is a dealer for them but does he have the one for your car in stock. I have where I can put my hands on it now, and if there is a problem when you get it, I will pick up the phone.
Thanks
Justin
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jabbott
Bob,
I don't have any type of discount to match an auction site. My part is four dollars more expensive and you have to pay shipping. I did not see where you were from before I responded, but shipping would not be expensive. There is one very very important thing though. The auction site is a dealer for them but does he have the one for your car in stock. I have where I can put my hands on it now, and if there is a problem when you get it, I will pick up the phone.
Thanks
Justin
Well.....I'm very skeptical of this thing, but I sure would like a more rapid throttle response.

I'm leaning toward getting one, and if I do - don't worry, I'll definitely get it from you!!!

I'll decide in the next day or so, and I'll report how it works if I get one.

Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
hongkongstewy
Racer

Ordered mine today from Zip...most other sites are out of stock and on backorder; I cancelled one order because wouldn't get it until late February, which I would not have mind if I wasn't going out of the country, so "when" I got the Sprint Booster was kind of important.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hongkongstewy
Ordered mine today from Zip...most other sites are out of stock and on backorder; I cancelled one order because wouldn't get it until late February, which I would not have mind if I wasn't going out of the country, so "when" I got the Sprint Booster was kind of important.
I'm still on the fence, so I'm looking forward to your report about what you think when you get it!!:

Justin, have you installed one and checked it out on the Zip Vette yet?

Bob
Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Zip Corvettes

Bob,
Not yet, I have 12" of snow here. As soon as the roads are clear we will get one in it and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thread from C6 Gen re what the Sprint Booster does w/ graphs etc

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-response.html

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Using the Sprint Booster Power Converter

Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I got it from Zip today.

Justin, you said:

....and you have to pay shipping. I did not see where you were from before I responded, but shipping would not be expensive.
Well.....you shipped it UPS ground (the only option available on your site), and for it to come from VA to FL it cost $22!!!!

The thing comes in about a 3 inch long box and weighs about an ounce. I'd recommend that you ship these things in a USPS "if it fits, it ships" box - you could fit about ten of the units in the small $4.85 flat rate box. I'm a little upset to have paid 22 bux!!!

My 2005 and 2006 C6s had tunes, and the throttle response was a lot quicker after tuning the cars - but I think the tune adds more fuel earlier and probably advances timing quicker - and the Sprint Booster doesn't do that. My new car seemed to have a very slow reaction to the throttle, and I wanted a quicker throttle response but I'm concerned about the possibility of voiding the warranty with a tune. The new car has all the power I need, so I thought the Sprint Booster might be the solution I'm looking for.

I went out to install the unit in my 2009 ZR1, and I thought it would take about 30 seconds to reach up on top of the accelerator pedal, unhook the wire harness, plug the unit in, then connect the harness back up.

No such luck!!! I've messed around up in that area before hooking into the APP sensor harness to get a throttle position input into my Traqmate for data-logging on the track in my Z06, and I thought I could reach up in there easily, but I had forgotten how Chebie has panels in the way. When I did that installation I just spliced into the dark blue wire and never had to disconnect the wire harness connector.

I've had the center console out several times on my 2 previous C6s for B&M and MGW shifter installs and Sunset Orange Creations Nav Commander, and when doing that the most difficult thing is unhooking all the connectors (TC button, 2 cigarette lighters, seat heaters, etc.) - EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT!!!

After spending several minutes trying to reach up there to try to unhook the wire harness connector on top of the accelerator pedal by feel, I realized I was going to have to open up the area to get better access. It was a little cramped getting my 6'2" 220 lb body into the area.

I first removed the 2 torx screws (T-15) holding up the bottom of the knee bolster kick panel. Then you pull the thing loose - it feels and sounds like you're gonna bust it, but it will pull out of the clips that hold the top of it in. I removed a sensor (temp sensor?) by unscrewing the 2 small torx screws (T-10) that hold it. Then I removed the 2 wire connectors to the fuel cap and rear hatch buttons and could put the panel out of the way.

Then there's a thin plastic panel held in by 3 plastic push pins. I pulled that panel loose and could gain access to top of the acclerator pedal.

Time so far: 25 minutes

I thought I was ready to just unhook the connector and quickly finish up the job, but

After about 10 minutes I realized I needed to remove the accelerator pedal. It's easy - just 2 bolts hold it in place (I think they're 13mm). I got a ratchet/extension/sockets and had the pedal out within another 5 minutes. There's not much length of wire to extend the pedal out very far, but after pulling on for about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to release the connector, a clip came loose that holds the wire harness up under the instrument panel, and that gave me another couple inches to pull the pedal out. That took about another 5 minutes.

Total time now was up to about: 50 minutes

I finally was able to get a good look at the wire harness connector to try to figure out how to get it loose. There's a small gray clip, and after trying to squeeze it various ways to separate the connectors, I finally realized that the gray clip had to be removed to be able to separate the black connectors. I had to use a small screwdriver to pull the center part of the gray clip up over a catch that holds it place, so after about 10 minutes I finally had the connector loose.

Total time now: 1 hour

It took about 5 seconds to plug the Sprint Booster into the connector on top of the pedal and connect the wire harness to the Sprint Booster.

Then it was time to bolt the pedal back in place, push the 3 plastic pins back in place to hold the thin plastic panel up, hook up the fuel cap and cargo release switch wires, screw the sensor back in place, clip the knee bolster kick panel back in place, and screw in the 2 screws that hold the bottom in place. Another 25 minutes.

Total time to complete the installation: 1 hour 25 minutes

It had been drizzling down a very light rain, but seemed to have stopped by the time I finished installing the unit. I started up the car in the garage and it seemed to give a quicker throttle response.

The roads were damp, and after backing out of the driveway I put it in 1st gear and eased out the clutch and eased on the throttle - and the rear wheels started spinning!!

I cautiously drove down the end of my street and turned out onto another road in the housing area. Being very careful, I eased around the corner slowly, shifted into 2nd, gave it a little throttle and the wheels spun and the azz end started coming around.

I drove about 2 miles around my housing area very carefully. Every time I gave it a little throttle the rear end broke loose, and I never got out of 3rd gear.

I think the Sprint Booster is going to do what I want - but I haven't been able to test it very well yet. It may just give more throttle for less push of the pedal, but it does seem to bring on the throttle a lot quicker than before and that's what I'm looking for, but I'm going to need a bunch more time in dry conditions - and it's not supposed to dry out here for a couple days, so standby for more info later in the week.

Bob
Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

BEZ06: Thanks for the write up! If a product works as claimed, can't ask for more than that. Wait for real world romping on the gas. Not a 5 min install we see that. nice posting for a new product.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Andy 53
Racer

$22 for shipping certainly sounds excessive to me!

There are quite a few companies out there that are using the shipping fee as a new profit center. I just can't do business with companies that treat their customers that way.

Andy

Quick Reply: Anyone Using the Sprint Booster Power Converter