C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So this idiot I know bought a C6 flood car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM
EuroVette07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned that the TPMS works but reads all tires at 0 PSI. I am not sure about the vette but in other cars if the computer reads a low PSI or a flat it will put the engine into a limp mode or decrease the power in some way. Could this be a cause in the vette which may be limiting his MPH?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by EuroVette07
You mentioned that the TPMS works but reads all tires at 0 PSI. I am not sure about the vette but in other cars if the computer reads a low PSI or a flat it will put the engine into a limp mode or decrease the power in some way. Could this be a cause in the vette which may be limiting his MPH?

I agree and was going to try and reprogram that system today.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HavinSomeFun
I searched and wasn't able to locate the post... any help would be appreciated.
Here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...flood-car.html

From the thread:
I then set upon learning about the electrical system, all the computers, and how they "talked" to each other. This was actually enjoyable to me, since I have an electrical background, and it interested me how it works. Every electrical component and every computer module was ruined, so they all had to be replaced. I started buying computers that I needed off of eBay. You would be amazed at the deals you can get if you know what to look for. For instance, when looking for the Transmission Control Module, they are a couple of hundred dollars at the dealers. I found a few for $100-$125. I then cross-referenced the part number to find out if GM put this TCM into another GM vehicle. I searched for those and ended up buying a TCM for an 07 Saturn Aura, for $20. The best one was the EBCM/BPMV combination. They are over $2000 new at the dealers. I found a guy named Shaun at smcperformance.com that buys all of GMs left over Corvette and Cadillac XLR parts from Bowling Green, at the end of each production run. He buys them by the tractor trailer load. I got the EBCM/BPMV from him for $300, brand new!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Good luck and keep us all posted here at this thread
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OReilly auto parts $24.95. Ordered it today and it will arrive on Monday.
If you got your Chilton Manual, can you give me the part number so I can order one? Chilton doesn't show it on their website.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by timd38
If you got your Chilton Manual, can you give me the part number so I can order one? Chilton doesn't show it on their website.
I'm supposed to pick it up after work..Now I'm nervous, maybe they didnt order the correct book.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

I'm supposed to pick it up after work..Now I'm nervous, maybe they didnt order the correct book.
and they didnt... Showed up and it was some car care book.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by glennhl
Here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...flood-car.html

From the thread:
I then set upon learning about the electrical system, all the computers, and how they "talked" to each other. This was actually enjoyable to me, since I have an electrical background, and it interested me how it works. Every electrical component and every computer module was ruined, so they all had to be replaced. I started buying computers that I needed off of eBay. You would be amazed at the deals you can get if you know what to look for. For instance, when looking for the Transmission Control Module, they are a couple of hundred dollars at the dealers. I found a few for $100-$125. I then cross-referenced the part number to find out if GM put this TCM into another GM vehicle. I searched for those and ended up buying a TCM for an 07 Saturn Aura, for $20. The best one was the EBCM/BPMV combination. They are over $2000 new at the dealers. I found a guy named Shaun at smcperformance.com that buys all of GMs left over Corvette and Cadillac XLR parts from Bowling Green, at the end of each production run. He buys them by the tractor trailer load. I got the EBCM/BPMV from him for $300, brand new!
WOW is all I can say. Great info for me and a very nice guy!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

WOW is all I can say. Great info for me and a very nice guy!
Good luck with the rebuild. I was very impressed with this thread and luckily I remembered it when I read your posting. A good friend of mine rebuilt a new 911 that was in salt water. Rebuilt the engine (half the cylinder studs had broken from stress corrosion), replated all the steel parts with cad plating, replaced all the electrics. Turned out to be a great car. You'll do fine and you'll have a great car for the money.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Not only did Tim do a great job, He is also a wealth of knowledge and has already started me in correct direction on my project.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Not only did Tim do a great job, He is also a wealth of knowledge and has already started me in correct direction on my project.
This is a GREAT forum!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by glennhl
This is a GREAT forum!!!
Yes it is!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Waiting on parts to arrive kind of stinks.....
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Waiting on parts to arrive kind of stinks.....
Be patient, the result is worth it.

I was also one of those idiots, but I persevered and now have a great car to track and race.

You'll get it sorted out.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

So I need some extra brains thinking about this. Brake lights.... Seems to be simple. However, when I'm just sitting still or driving my brake lights decide to come on for no reason. If I tap the pedal they go off. However, after about 10 seconds they come on again. No I'm not riding the brakes. Now the lights also operate normal, as in when I press the pedal they also work. It does seem like I have to push the pedal further down than normal to get the lights to operate. I replaced the Brake Position sensor today and I have the same result.... Ideas? what else do I need to look at?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 PM
racerboyroy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EuroVette07

i read in one my corvette parts catalog about replacing the adjustable shocks with regulars shock you must have a shock simulator plugin or the car will not go over 80mph. so if it has the adjustable shock feature
and one or more is shorted or not making a connection this could be the problem.

good luck
roy

Get notified of new replies

To So this idiot I know bought a C6 flood car...

Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sensors inside the tires need to be reset. If you have an Americas Tire or Discount tire near you (or a reputable tire store) they can reset the sensors. A lot of guys set their tire pressure way down (18-20lbs) at the drag strip and the DCI alarms with low pressure warnings and slows the car down for safety reasons.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
vetehead
Drifting

So I need some extra brains thinking about this. Brake lights.... Seems to be simple. However, when I'm just sitting still or driving my brake lights decide to come on for no reason. If I tap the pedal they go off. However, after about 10 seconds they come on again. No I'm not riding the brakes. Now the lights also operate normal, as in when I press the pedal they also work. It does seem like I have to push the pedal further down than normal to get the lights to operate. I replaced the Brake Position sensor today and I have the same result.... Ideas? what else do I need to look at?
I would check the brake relay at the passenger side (inside fuse box)...
Also It has been posted here that the harness plug that resides at the rear bumper area below rear brake/tail lights gets corroded and can cause similar problems you are having.....as well as problems with your rear hatch switch above license plate....Hope this helps!!!

Check out this thread !!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...car-locks.html

Ron

Last edited by vetehead; 01-22-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
HavinSomeFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetehead
I would check the brake relay at the passenger side (inside fuse box)...
Also It has been posted here that the harness plug that resides at the rear bumper area below rear brake/tail lights gets corroded and can cause similar problems you are having.....as well as problems with your rear hatch switch above license plate....Hope this helps!!!

Check out this thread !!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...car-locks.html

Ron
Ron, I appreciate the link. I will check it out on my car. It sounds like they had a diff. issue. However its worth a try.

Quick Reply: So this idiot I know bought a C6 flood car...