C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more sound...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
hockeyfan1994
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more sound...

Hello gents. I'm relatively new to this forum and have been taking a back seat and reading through the forum and trying to get educated.

I have a C6 2005 and i just put on a new exhaust which is made by GM it's their "performance exhaust". The dB level is rated at 95. It's some one quite when idle and gets a nice throaty sound around the 3500 rpm range. The problem is, is it just isn't what i was looking for sound wise. I like the sound of the B&B Fusion. I should have bought that instead. But I'm not going to go out and buy that now and try to sell the one that i have on there.

I need your advise. I would like a deeper, ballzy sound. What can i do at this point to get that sound. I'm not looking to add more HP necessarily. If it comes with it, great, but not really looking for it.

I guess i can buy and slap on some headers, right? Will an X or H pipe make a difference in the sound?

Is there anything else i can do at this point?

Sean
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
7795TAs
Instructor

Headers and X pipe will waken it up a bit and add some HP and TQ which is always good in my book. You will need to retune the computer when you add headers just so you know.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Longtube headers and an x pipe will give a more aggressive exhaust note.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 AM
hockeyfan1994
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 7795TAs
Headers and X pipe will waken it up a bit and add some HP and TQ which is always good in my book. You will need to retune the computer when you add headers just so you know.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 AM
hockeyfan1994
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
Longtube headers and an x pipe will give a more aggressive exhaust note.
Does kooks make longtube headers? Do i need to get a special x-pipe that will fit my new exhaust or will they pretty much all fit?

Do i really need to get cats? I keep seeing x-pipe w/ and w/ cats. What's the difference performance and sound wise?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 AM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes kooks makes nice longtube headers and an x pipe. Just get a matching x pipe from whatever brand headers you get. Alot of people like to keep the cats to reduce the smell from the exhaust. I have done back to back pulls on a c5 z06 with and without cats and it was just a 5hp difference. Having no cats will make the exhaust a little louder. Either way your car will be louder than it is now and will make more power(10-20rwhp).
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hes pretty much right, pick a good set of headers from the big 3, LG Motorsports, Kooks, or ARH. Get there matching x-pipe. Me personally, I prefer not running cats and havent had them on any performance car ive owned. Mainly for the nasty, in your face sound running no cats gives you. The extra 5 or so hp is a plus too. A tune afterwards isnt necessary, but is prefered and will really wake your car up after the headers.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Matt@Texas-Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

I agree, longtube headers and X will make nice power gains and give you some of the sound you're looking for! We offer competitive pricing on the Kooks and American Racing Headers, and we also offer a little more budget friendly 1 7/8" primary to 3" X ceramic coated longtube we make that still makes the power and all, but doesn't hurt your pocket book as badly!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=1015&catid=8

Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / Largest LS-x Comp Cams Distributor in the Country!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS - MONSTER CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOKS
ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK - POWERBOND - WISECO - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Matt@Texas-Speed; 01-28-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Welcome Sean!

The recommendations made by all are solid.
As far as catted or un-catted systems go, you save some money by NOT getting a catted system but you might fail inspection depending on your state emission laws plus w/o cats you might stink up your clothes or garage etc but the sound is better IMO.
If you get a system with cats they will be high flow and unless you have more mods than just some bolt-ons your not loosing but maybe
3-5 rwhp HP from my personal experiences plus you might not get as much interior drone with a catted setup.

Enjoy modding your vette!!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Enjoy modding your vette!!
Im glad heres still a few out there that see it my way
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
hockeyfan1994
Intermediate

Originally Posted by One Bad Vette
Hes pretty much right, pick a good set of headers from the big 3, LG Motorsports, Kooks, or ARH. Get there matching x-pipe. Me personally, I prefer not running cats and havent had them on any performance car ive owned. Mainly for the nasty, in your face sound running no cats gives you. The extra 5 or so hp is a plus too. A tune afterwards isnt necessary, but is prefered and will really wake your car up after the headers.
I agree i want a nasty sound. But if i put on long tube headers with no cats that will cause it to not pass any state that has an EPA emssions test. I know my current state doesn't have one, but i'm military and could wind up in another state that does in a couple years from now...Also, won't getting headers without cats also set off the onboard computer system, aka ECU?

My performance mechanic is telling me that if you touch anything after the O2 level it will set off the computers because they are very sensitive and will require them to flash it with the 1LT i think is what he told me ($700.00).
Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
7795TAs
Instructor

Originally Posted by hockeyfan1994
I agree i want a nasty sound. But if i put on long tube headers with no cats that will cause it to not pass any state that has an EPA emssions test. I know my current state doesn't have one, but i'm military and could wind up in another state that does in a couple years from now...Also, won't getting headers without cats also set off the onboard computer system, aka ECU?

My performance mechanic is telling me that if you touch anything after the O2 level it will set off the computers because they are very sensitive and will require them to flash it with the 1LT i think is what he told me ($700.00).
Thats what the tune is for. If you go without cats they will tune the o2s out. Most dyno tunes are around $500 or you can send in the ecu to a mail order tuning company which I think is a little cheaper. But I would recomend a dyno tune.

Last edited by 7795TAs; 01-28-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need more sound...

Quick Reply: Need more sound...