C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good Tune - Real World Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
mlc331
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good Tune - Real World Review

The Car:
2005 C6 3LT
2nd owner
19K on the ODO

Mods:
Hurricane Cold Air Intake
B&B Route 66 Mufflers
DTS Headers (1 7/8 Primary, 3inch X, High Flow Cats)
160*Thermostat
MSD Spark Plug Wires
Hawk Pads
Toyo shoes
Black Spyder Wheels

History:
Purchased the car from the original owner about 8 months ago. He did the Hurricane intake and didn't install it correctly. I know hard to install an intake wrong... but it was. The original owner put the wires on and the B&B Route 66's on. He also put the Toyos on.
At this point, there were NOT headers on the car. Just the B&B's. The very first Mod that I did was a 160* thermostat and then went to have a local shop put a tune to the car. I had looked up Tuners in Vegas from the search tool on this forum and found a guy. We'll leave his name and business out of this. Seemed to be a fantastic shop, and they do lots of work on Vettes and other exotics. Beautiful shop to say the very least. The tech is supposed to be VERY good. The tune cost me $400 and it took a day after I dropped it off. When I got the car back, it felt different, but it wasn't a HUGE seat-o-the-pants difference. Just seemed a little more... well, RIGHT. Later that day, I decided to drop the hammer on the LS2 going up the freeway entrance by work. Did well, and pulled pretty good to about 80-90mph. Looked down and noticed that my engine light came on. Called the tuner immediately... Said that it could have been an anomoly or it could be the gas. I took it by his shop the next day and had the code cleared. It was the knock sensor. He told me that I may need a new knock sensor. I dismissed it and kept driving the car. I took it back to him about 2 weeks later because the car seem to be running at a constant 205*. It would drop to 192ish but it was NEVER up there before. While that may seem ok with some, I felt it to be to hot especially when the ambients were around 68 - 70*. He then told me that the temp was fine but that the fans also sense ambient and that their operation was dependent on many variables.
Over the next several weeks the engine light was on and off. Calls kept going to the tuner, and his reply was that the knock sensor was at fault. Said it could even be piston slap. That if it was piston slap it will do it no matter what, and that the knock sensor would always be triggered.
Back two weeks ago... Put the DTS headers on and then starting looking for options on a tune. Oh - I had the local guy put my stock tune back on - guess what... no more codes. Talked to CHUCK COW on phone. He let me take advantage of the Christmas Special. So the computers (Trans module went as well), were shipped and back in about 4-5 days (dang weekend). Jammed them back in the car, filled up and started testing.

New Tune Review w/headers and same mods: The car sounds fantastic at idle. Once warm, the car is much more snappy at EVERY speed. Part of this I would assume is due to the Trans tune portion of Chucks Programs. Acceleration is solid all the way through to 125mph which is where I backed out. On pegged acceleration, there were no codes or faults. NOTHING. Funny how my knock sensor is now good Guess the tune also cured the piston slap
Around town over the last couple days, the car is pretty much PEGGED at 178*. I don't notice the fans any more or any less. The slow, down shift and hesitation that was there from the stock tune is no longer there. It drops into the right gear almost effortlessly. it's MUCH more fun to drive.

BEST thing about the tune and headers. Not sure which is the primary reason for it.... But I'm now getting about 1-1.5 mpg more around town. Could be the headers, could be the fueling curve, could be the trans tune. Either way.... LOVING IT.

Now I have to get some drone issues taken care of, and I'm good to go.

Be careful on who you use to tune your car. Not all tuners are created equal. Thanks for your efforts Chuck. My car and I are very happy.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Greg A
Advanced

Great story! A while back I also had my car tuned by one of the preferred forum vendors and was very disappointed. Like you, I used Chuck and never looked back.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Schoolteacher
Racer

I have heard experiences like this before, which is why I went with chuck 1st.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Oh yeah! Sorry... I forgot to tell you.....

Originally Posted by mlc331
The Car:
2005 C6 3LT
2nd owner
19K on the ODO

Mods:
B&B Route 66 Mufflers
160*Thermostat
MSD Spark Plug Wires
Hawk Pads
Toyo shoes
Black Spyder Wheels

History:
Purchased the car from the original owner about 8 months ago. He did the Hurricane intake and didn't install it correctly. I know hard to install an intake wrong... but it was. The original owner put the wires on and the B&B Route 66's on. He also put the Toyos on.
At this point, there were NOT headers on the car. Just the B&B's. The very first Mod that I did was a 160* thermostat and then went to have a local shop put a tune to the car. I had looked up Tuners in Vegas from the search tool on this forum and found a guy. We'll leave his name and business out of this. Seemed to be a fantastic shop, and they do lots of work on Vettes and other exotics. Beautiful shop to say the very least. The tech is supposed to be VERY good. The tune cost me $400 and it took a day after I dropped it off. When I got the car back, it felt different, but it wasn't a HUGE seat-o-the-pants difference. Just seemed a little more... well, RIGHT. Later that day, I decided to drop the hammer on the LS2 going up the freeway entrance by work. Did well, and pulled pretty good to about 80-90mph. Looked down and noticed that my engine light came on. Called the tuner immediately... Said that it could have been an anomoly or it could be the gas. I took it by his shop the next day and had the code cleared. It was the knock sensor. He told me that I may need a new knock sensor. I dismissed it and kept driving the car. I took it back to him about 2 weeks later because the car seem to be running at a constant 205*. It would drop to 192ish but it was NEVER up there before. While that may seem ok with some, I felt it to be to hot especially when the ambients were around 68 - 70*. He then told me that the temp was fine but that the fans also sense ambient and that their operation was dependent on many variables.
Over the next several weeks the engine light was on and off. Calls kept going to the tuner, and his reply was that the knock sensor was at fault. Said it could even be piston slap. That if it was piston slap it will do it no matter what, and that the knock sensor would always be triggered.
Back two weeks ago... Put the DTS headers on and then starting looking for options on a tune. Oh - I had the local guy put my stock tune back on - guess what... no more codes. Talked to CHUCK COW on phone. He let me take advantage of the Christmas Special. So the computers (Trans module went as well), were shipped and back in about 4-5 days (dang weekend). Jammed them back in the car, filled up and started testing.

New Tune Review w/headers and same mods: The car sounds fantastic at idle. Once warm, the car is much more snappy at EVERY speed. Part of this I would assume is due to the Trans tune portion of Chucks Programs. Acceleration is solid all the way through to 125mph which is where I backed out. On pegged acceleration, there were no codes or faults. NOTHING. Funny how my knock sensor is now good Guess the tune also cured the piston slap
Around town over the last couple days, the car is pretty much PEGGED at 178*. I don't notice the fans any more or any less. The slow, down shift and hesitation that was there from the stock tune is no longer there. It drops into the right gear almost effortlessly. it's MUCH more fun to drive.

BEST thing about the tune and headers. Not sure which is the primary reason for it.... But I'm now getting about 1-1.5 mpg more around town. Could be the headers, could be the fueling curve, could be the trans tune. Either way.... LOVING IT.

Be careful on who you use to tune your car. Not all tuners are created equal. Thanks for your efforts Chuck. My car and I are very happy.

Oh yeah! Sorry... I forgot to tell you.....

That's the best part of my tunes.... They fix motors with PISTON SLAP, BROKEN FANS, BAD KNOCK SENSORS, AND BAD ROD BEARINGS.... Shoot, My tunes can even REPAIR BLOWN HEAD GASKETS!!!

I had better put those features in my mail order tuning advertisement!

Stay TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
mlc331
Advanced

Now that was funny....

In all seriousness though...

Chuck Cow Tuning... Great service, great tune, and the car still works as advertised.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

MLC331....I am in a similar situation...I have an o6 c6 21k miles...3lt auto/paddle shifters 2nd owner...car only comes out on sunny weekends here in LI, NY...the car is stock....except that i have a borla exhaust system...headers/xpipe/cats and the touring muffler (tried the stingers...was too loud...the drone at 1500 rpm was deafening...at least now I can hear the stereo)...my next project will be to have a CAI system installed, and get it tuned by The Vette Doctor here In Amityville LI NY.......was thinking of the Vararam Snake Charmer and have been told I should drop in a 165 thrmoatat...not sure what the thermostat will do to improve perfomrnace??...Also will the CAI have a profound impact on performance...and will the tune also have a major impact on performance...I am looking about $800 for the cai/tune and thermostat ; (

Also will the tune void the GM Warranty??

Last edited by BMORAGHAN; 01-29-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMORAGHAN
MLC331....I am in a similar situation...I have an o6 c6 21k miles...3lt auto/paddle shifters 2nd owner...car only comes out on sunny weekends here in LI, NY...the car is stock....except that i have a borla exhaust system...headers/xpipe/cats and the touring muffler (tried the stingers...was too loud...the drone at 1500 rpm was deafening...at least now I can hear the stereo)...my next project will be to have a CAI system installed, and get it tuned by The Vette Doctor here In Amityville LI NY.......was thinking of the Vararam Snake Charmer and have been told I should drop in a 165 thrmoatat...not sure what the thermostat will do to improve perfomrnace??...Also will the CAI have a profound impact on performance...and will the tune also have a major impact on performance...I am looking about $800 for the cai/tune and thermostat ; (

Also will the tune void the GM Warranty??
Yes the tune will void the warranty for the power train if the dealer checks. If they check they will know.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Ok what I want to know is why the car was running at 205 and now it is pegged at 178 with a COW tune? Other than having the fans come on early this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What temps did you see with the stock tune? I can't imagine how the first tune could cause the car to run that hot unless there was something really really wrong with the timing or the AFR. I think you would have noticed that in the way the car ran with that tune. Anyway you got the right guy to fix you up. Chuck does good work and has excellent customer support.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Probibly from the post the timing was advanced too much, hense the bad knock sensor. It makes a big difference who tunes your car.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Congrats, on your COW tune, I advise my vette friends to go to COW first some do and the rest have stories like yours and then they figure it out.
I had my 08 A6 done by Chuck as soon as I bought the car and never had a problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
pahlbfishn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How can you go wrong with a Chuck Cow tune? He did mine (mailed in pcm) and my '07 A6 has never run better. I'm waiting for Chuck to come to Houston sometimes in Feb so he can tune my tranny. By the way Chuck will retune engine/tranny for FREE if you come to where he will be tuning. No better deal on the planet in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mlc331
The Car:
2005 C6 3LT
2nd owner
19K on the ODO

Mods:
B&B Route 66 Mufflers
160*Thermostat
MSD Spark Plug Wires
Hawk Pads
Toyo shoes
Black Spyder Wheels

Are your drone issues from the B&B or the new headers? I'm considering new headers but a bit concerned about highway drone (running the NPP exhaust)...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hogvette
Are your drone issues from the B&B or the new headers? I'm considering new headers but a bit concerned about highway drone (running the NPP exhaust)...

Do a search, but I bet it is from the BB's not the headers. I ran American Racing Headers on my 06 coupe with after market mufflers (magnaflows) droned like hell. I took them off and put the stockers back on. On my current vette 08 Z06) I am also running ARH with NPP. It sounds a little better than the stock manifolds, but not that much different since the stock ones are stainless steel also. Go headers or get a used Z06 exhaust system at least you get more power for your money.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 AM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
Do a search, but I bet it is from the BB's not the headers. I ran American Racing Headers on my 06 coupe with after market mufflers (magnaflows) droned like hell. I took them off and put the stockers back on. On my current vette 08 Z06) I am also running ARH with NPP. It sounds a little better than the stock manifolds, but not that much different since the stock ones are stainless steel also. Go headers or get a used Z06 exhaust system at least you get more power for your money.
The c6 has a resonance issue with the rear deck...Its one of the reasons Chevrolet doesnt have a high performance exhaust system on the c6....except for the dual mode / z06 and latrer models....it acts like a membrane (drum)...at about 1500 rpm the vibration energy is at the right frequency to excite the rear deck area....the louder the exhaust system...the more vibration energy you put into it ...the more it get amplified....some muffler systems are worse than others...I had the bora stinger system installed...hated it....switched over to the borla touring muffler...the drone is still there at 1500 but much more tolerable
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMORAGHAN
The c6 has a resonance issue with the rear deck...Its one of the reasons Chevrolet doesnt have a high performance exhaust system on the c6....except for the dual mode / z06 and latrer models....it acts like a membrane (drum)...at about 1500 rpm the vibration energy is at the right frequency to excite the rear deck area....the louder the exhaust system...the more vibration energy you put into it ...the more it get amplified....some muffler systems are worse than others...I had the bora stinger system installed...hated it....switched over to the borla touring muffler...the drone is still there at 1500 but much more tolerable
Thanks, I have a graduate degree in physics and am quite aware of what resonance is. The only system out there that is designed not to operate at the resonant freqency that I am aware of is the Corsa set up. I have always been a fan of headers as opposed to wasting 1K$ on making my car sound like a truck.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
mlc331
Advanced

here is what I think about the tune....

The car ran about 195 - 200* prior to the tune. That was with the stock thermostat and stock settings. yes, the temp would increase higher than 200* however the fans would continue to ramp up and the temps would come down to about 200-ish.... maybe 198*.

Now, the first tune did make the car run differently. It was a little crisper and seemed to pull better. But EACH and EVERY time I put the peddle down and did a hard pull, the engine light would come on after the event. The temp get higher early, and quicker but the fans would bring it down to about 198-205-ish again.

The difference was that it would run hotter... quicker and the cars average run-around-town temps were higher. The kicker was that the ambients were lower! That's when he told me that the ambient temps made the fans come on later. Who knows what the real deal was, but it's all fixed now.

Chucks tune gave my car a nice little peppy-ness and great run-out throught the RPM ranges. Seems to NEVER stop pulling. I think that his tune in combination with the headers is the cat's meow!

No on to the drone issue. I can't be sure if the drone is ALL due to the B&B's because I love their sound. I'm thinking that the header and x, increase the air and velocity of the exhaust. That in turn, increased the drone. I'm switching to a Zo6 exhaust with the NPP in a Box. I'll report back when I have it done. Should be done in a week or so. The exhaust won't be here until Monday of next week.

Get notified of new replies

To A good Tune - Real World Review

Quick Reply: A good Tune - Real World Review