C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Default Upper control arm question

Been advised I may have an bent upper control arm(hit a curb). I haven't look at it, but the wheel is toed out pretty good. I'm putting new rotors on the car, so here is my question. Do the rotors have to be removed to replace an upper control arm? I'm not going to put them on if they have to be taken right back off. I could probably figure this out by looking, but don't have the car here and was hoping someone would know off hand. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

don't know? but the rotors come off as easy as taking the wheel/tire off, you're going to put new rotors on and then drive around{with the wheel toed out pretty good} untill someday,you might fix the upper control arm?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
don't know? but the rotors come off as easy as taking the wheel/tire off, you're going to put new rotors on and then drive around{with the wheel toed out pretty good} untill someday,you might fix the upper control arm?
So you don't know the answer?

1. I'm having some work done to the car and am going to have the shop replace the upper control arm.

2. I am waiting for new wheels and am not going to take the car to the shop until they get here.

3. I thought while I was waiting on the wheels I would replace the rotors before taking the car to the shop that is doing the work, but I'm not going to if they need to be taken off, as I will just let them do it.

I've got a call into the shop, so I'll just wait for them to tell me.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

YEA I don't know if you need to pull the rotor's to fix the upper control arm but as I said the first time, the rotor pulls right off the lug nuts just like taking the tire off, so if you HAD to it would be like #1 take the tire off{jack the car up first}undo the caliper/bracket, take the little cir-clip off of one of the lugs#2 tap the rotor with a mallet and pull the rotor off #3 fix the control arm #4 reassemble, don't worry about the little cir-clip
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. You need to remove the rotors to change the upper arm.

Get notified of new replies

To Upper control arm question

Quick Reply: Upper control arm question