C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tps and drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
daje58@hotmail.com
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tps and drag racing

If i change to drag radials at the track and have my other wheels with the sensors at the track and come back near them after each pass will i have any problems regarding sensors?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my understanding you won't have any problems. I have read that people drive to the track with the drag tires on without sensors without problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The only time I had the computer talk back to me, was nearly 20 miles after leaving the track. I had my street tires in the trunk too. I'm guessing the TPSM has to be a lot closer to the normal location for the sensors to communicate.

I also suspect the computer retains the last information received, rather than default to zero pressure. Several friends always drive 20-30 miles to the track on drag radials and have never mentioned it caused them problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems. i drive my car to the track and at the track with no tpms and my car runs just fine. yes the light comes on saying check it but i ignore it all the time. it never affects my performance. when i get home i put my stock wheels on and my computer fixes itself in a few miles and the warning goes away.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
jjas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that someone on the forum posted that if one would put a tpm in a 4 inch pvc pipe with ends and put 30 lb of air pressue in the pvc pipe and place the pvc pipe in the back, the dic would read off that tpm and no code would occur. I am going to try that soon. Hopefully it will work.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jjas
I believe that someone on the forum posted that if one would put a tpm in a 4 inch pvc pipe with ends and put 30 lb of air pressue in the pvc pipe and place the pvc pipe in the back, the dic would read off that tpm and no code would occur. I am going to try that soon. Hopefully it will work.
Maybe try it in the storage compartments. That's about as close to where they'd be if they were in the wheel.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by jjas
I think that was DENNIS and he had a Pic of it. All you need is A 2" PVC
Pipe about 5" long. Drill & tap a shrader valve in one end and A TPS sensor in the other end . Then Scan it in and your set for 30#. A nice trick. As we all know if yout Car senses Low tire pressure less than 25psi tpms triggers and torque management comes in. I also heard if you dont turn the traction control off it will introduce torque management.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Dmenace
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is driven for a hour stright, hard like autocrossing then you will have problems.
Just regular driving and afew passes at the track will do noting.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 PM
topend182
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. I was wondering the other day if the computer would re-engage the old wheels/tpms after removing them and running another set of rims.

Get notified of new replies

To tps and drag racing

Quick Reply: tps and drag racing