C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Powerflo with Square Cast Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Powerflo with Square Cast Aluminum

I just ordered these from SLP after a lot of research. SLP assures me that they have a nice, deep sound, moderately aggressive at WOT but no drone/resonance and a slightly louder than stock 'nice' sound in the cabin when cruising.
What sold me on them was the totally different from all others look of the 4 large, cast square tips, and of course the promise of no resonance or drone.

Anyone have these? If so how do you like them as far as looks and sound?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pop...ge/2956_1_.jpg
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not me, but I'll be interested to hear/read from you that they definitely don't drone at 1500-1900 rpm in 6th gear. very different look tho.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I own these and have them installed on my 08 A6. They sound great but they do have a slight drone. If your car is a manual...you may be able to drive around the drone. The drone is not as bad as other aftermarket catbacks but it's there.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Originally Posted by theofel
I own these and have them installed on my 08 A6. They sound great but they do have a slight drone. If your car is a manual...you may be able to drive around the drone. The drone is not as bad as other aftermarket catbacks but it's there.
Thanks...'slight' is fine I just need to avoid radio drowning, conversation killing, the wife wants out of the car after an hour on the highway kinda drone. Im a6 also...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Default Another exhaust question

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere- couldn't find it. Will I be able to get the old exhaust out with the back wheels up on ramps, or do I need the axles unweighted to drop them down enough to get the old out/new in?

Also...SLP's pdf instructions mention a possible need to cut the stock pass. side pipe to be able to work it out once its unbolted....really???
Old 04-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Crusinjimbo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the SLP round-tip version on my 05 with the A4 transmission and there is no drone to mention. Low rpm sound says "horsepower"! Great price, good looks, and pro installation only ran $175.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Originally Posted by sircrashalot
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere- couldn't find it. Will I be able to get the old exhaust out with the back wheels up on ramps, or do I need the axles unweighted to drop them down enough to get the old out/new in?

Also...SLP's pdf instructions mention a possible need to cut the stock pass. side pipe to be able to work it out once its unbolted....really???
Ramps are fine. Its IRS, not a live axle, so only the wheels hang and not the center diff. I needed to rotate the sway bar out of the way. With an A6 I hear theres a spot that's real tight. M6 myself so I can only say from what I've heard. I did find that I had to remove the factory H pipe at the front as well to ease in lining everything up. There are som nice DIY threads around here and even some videos on youtube.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
jflack
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the powerflow installed on my 07 a6. Local muffler shop did it in 1.5 hrs. Stock exhaust came off with out cutting it up.They used a lift that let the wheels hang down. New exhaust went on no problem. Mine had the 4-tip option. No drone to speak of in 4 months including 2 trips out of state.I like this exhaust because you can hear the exhaust but its not so loud my wife complains. I wanted a loudmouth but knew my wife would not be happy!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Well....spent the day yesterday trying to install this. Less than an hour in all my stock components were out, H pipe dropped, and re-assembly began. Hours of fighting with SLP's pipes totally unable to get things to line up right. Gave up, called a friend for a fresh set of eyes/hands. Two of us for a couple more hours (I have done exhausts on many cars, water pumps, fuel pumps, suspension work, etc. no worries) and eventually as darkness approached gave up and put the stock stuff back on.

I dont know if SLP sent me the wrong pipes or what...but these parts simply do NOT fit on my car. Gonna bring it to them to install, and I want to watch them fit this to my car without any cutting or modifying of the bends in their pipes.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
madmxnj
Racer

I had a similar problem with my MBRP exhaust. Stock exhaust out quickly, then hours fighting under the car trying to get the new stuff in. First back to front, then front to back, then middle out. No matter what I tried it just seemed too long where after where it mates with the H pipe, like it took the turn to late to go up over the axle. then I assembled the exaust on the ground and compared it to the stock exhaust and sure enough it was too long! I emailed the manufacturer and sent them pics. They sent me back an engineering drawing. I measured the pipes and sent them back more pics. the pipes I had did not match their drawing. They then sent me new pipes and I had the car back together the following weekend. I guess thats what I deserve going with a little known company like MBRP. But SLP, I'd expect better. I had their exhaust on my Z28 and seriously considered it for the C6 but just couldn't talk myself into their tips. Good Luck
Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
theofel
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I had my SLP's first installed on my 06 A6 without any problems. Old ones off and new ones on in about 1.5 hours. Then the Chevy dealer took them off my 06 and installed them on my 08 without any problems. They have been off and on a half dozen times without and problems. Sounds like they sent you the wrong stuff. My original install was with stock manifolds, cats and mid pipe. Now I have flow through cats and melrose headers and never had a problem with installation. I hope this info helps you.

Last edited by theofel; 04-25-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Yeah something isn't right. WIth the SLP over axle pipes fully seated in the h-ipie, even with everything still loose to give some play, the muffler ends of the over axle pipes are all wrong. I tried switching the left to right just in case, looked at it with them flipped around, etc.

One of the reasons I went with SLP is cuz I live only about an hour from them...so I'll just bring it to them. First time ever on any car though that I have attempted a part install and failed. THats why I wanna watch them do it
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Ahhhhhh I feel redeemed. Just spoke to SLP they sent me the wrong overaxle pipes. Dana at SLP is working hard to make it right to their credit though...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Default Kudos to Meineke in Howell

Well,
After losing a day of my life fighting with the wrong pipes I was in no mood for a repeat performance. After picking up correct parts at SLP in Toms River I randomly stopped in at Meineke of Howell Twp., NJ.

Just wanted to post sincere thanks to the owner Bryan Heulitt, and the tech, Chuck who installed my exhaust in about an hour with no appointment, at a VERY fair price.

If you live in NJ and buy any SLP parts don't hesitate to bring your stuff to these guys. Careful with the car, meticulous about their work, took the time to get everything exxxxactly right and to my taste.

I killed the hour chatting with Chuck while he worked on the car, and with Bryan the owner. Both great guys, who get it.

6811 Rt. 9, Howell NJ 07731 (732)367-6006.

Thanks guys!

As far as the SLP powerflo...if you want a little rumble but not have any drone and to be able to hear your radio...go for it. I didn;t want obnoxious, but I didn;t want stock...and this fits the bill perfectly!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Just wanted to update this after having the SLP powerflo on for a couple weeks now. The muffler seems to have broken itself in, and for the better. Its now a little louder but not obnoxious at all, except at WOT whenit just sounds ferocious.
There is a little bit of drone at 1600+- but its not bad and can be pretty much eliminated when the wife is in the car by just running through that rpm range at light throttle positions, or driving around it using the paddles on my a6.
What I am LOVING about this exhaust is the gurgle, burble on deceleration....sounds AWESOME!

What I am loving a little less is that SLP did have the correct pipes when I drove down to get them after they shipped the wrong ones....buuuuut I had purchased the entire ZL435 kit which includes a blackwing intake. Well, they failed to mention on the phone before I drove down that they didn't have the air intake in stock. They told me when I got there instead.
They said it would be a week. I waited two and called...now they are telling me they wont have them until the end of May, but that they are making some changes and improvements to the design.
So here I sit posing with ZL435 badging on my car and I cant plunk in the tune for it because I don't have the intake a month after ordering it direct from the manufacturer who is in my state.....

At least it sounds good....
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Default Slp is awful and awww so full of it!

Saga from APRIL continues....READ BEFORE DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY!

So first they shipped me the wrong parts costing me a day of my life attempting to install the wrong over axle pipes. Then I offered to drive to them to correct the problem, while at the same time purchasing the balance of their ZL435 package. Did they bother to mention to me that they didn't have any of the blackwing intakes that are part of the package in stock? NOOOO why would they do that before I drove over an hour to PICK UP MY PARTS. They tell me when I am standing in the friggin parking lot instead, and assure me that they'll have it in a week or so and will ship it to me free...

So I wait two weeks and call. They tell me that they are a little back-ordered and that they'll be shipping by the end of May for sure. At this point I am not thrilled, since I am running their exhaust, and bought the SLP Diablo predator programmer as part of this package, but cant install the ZL435 tune I paid for since I dont have the intake.

I wait until the beginning of June, and call. They now tell me its GM's fault! They claim that GM changed the design of the bellows and so they have to re-design the blackwing, but that engineering says they'll have a prototype and car at the shop next week, so two weeks max until they are shipping production units.

I wait two weeks again, and call the other day. They fail to call back the next day. I call again, this time out of patience. They call back, and as if I have never heard it before they tell me that engineering says the prototype of the newly redesigned blackwing will be in this week, and to give them until this Thursday (like I have a choice), and that the prototype will be my part as long as it fits properly on the test car.

As if all of this isn't sad enough, I decided to install the 93 octane Diablo tune while waiting for the balance of the SLP parts to come in so I can install the ZL435 tune. Guess what, despite the misleading advertising, when you buy the SLP version of the Diablo Predator, you dont get the standard Diablo tunes + the SLP tunes.....they friggin OVERWROTE the standard Diablo tunes, so I paid MORE to get less, and can't use the tune from SLP since they can't come up with their own parts!

I am stuck...their exhaust is on my car...and their ripoff Predator is married to my car so at this point I have to see it through to the end and hope that some day they can come up with the blackwing so that I can install the tune and be done with this nightmare.

This is what I get for deciding to support a local business! I admit that the exhaust has a great sound and is of good quality, but they have dropped the ball at every possible opportunity. They are very kind on the phone, which accomplishes exactly nothing. Be very wary of doing business with this outfit. I will post again if and when I ever get the balance of my parts.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
theofel
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Cancel the Blackwing and put the BPP High quality Vortex CAI or another quality CAI on it. Get your money back on that Diablo mail order tune. They should also pay you for the install of the Cat back since it was there error. Keep us posted.

Last edited by theofel; 06-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SLP Powerflo with Square Cast Aluminum

Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Dang, sorry for all the crap you are dealing with. Hopefully when it is all said and done you will be happy with the end result!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
sircrashalot
Instructor

THey were supposed to call me Thurs. or Friday (today) to tell me if the prototype fit and would be shipping to me. If I don't hear from them today I am going to cancel it......and.....I am headed to a huge cruise in tonight at Jackson Outlets in NJ and will seek out everybody there with a vehicle that SLP makes parts for and tell the story....and tomorrow...at the packed cruise night I'll be at....and the one I go to on Tuesdays.....and when I go to Corvettes at Carlisle.....

Maybe it would easier for me to just get a t-shirt made
Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Just an update....no call...at all....

Quick Reply: SLP Powerflo with Square Cast Aluminum