C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 climate control problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 AM
05blkcpe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 climate control problems

I seem to be having problems with my climate control in my 05 C6, when I try and switch from window defrost to heating or cooling out of the center vents nothing happens, it just continues blowing air onto the front window, has this happened to anyone? Is there any way to fix it? Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05blkcpe
I seem to be having problems with my climate control in my 05 C6, when I try and switch from window defrost to heating or cooling out of the center vents nothing happens, it just continues blowing air onto the front window, has this happened to anyone? Is there any way to fix it? Thanks
Nobody ever responded> I am now having the same or similar issue.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

One response in 7 years, and it's another question!

JC13ZR1, please provide more detail of your symptoms and we may be able to assist. And I suggest you just start a new thread.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The c6 climate control modules fail. I've replaced mine twice. It is becoming a more and more common issue as they get older.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
One response in 7 years, and it's another question!

JC13ZR1, please provide more detail of your symptoms and we may be able to assist. And I suggest you just start a new thread.
I thought about starting a new thread, but anyway...

My 2013 ZR1 just started acting up. Auto seems to have no function. I can turn the system on and off, and increase fan speed but not decrease. I cannot change where the air comes out - currently on vent and also gets the windshield (which fogs it up here in Houston). If I hit recirculate that increases fan speed but not much else that I can tell. I can change temps on both sides but I am not sure it makes any difference.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by JC13ZR1

My 2013 ZR1 just started acting up. Auto seems to have no function. I can turn the system on and off, and increase fan speed but not decrease. I cannot change where the air comes out - currently on vent and also gets the windshield (which fogs it up here in Houston). If I hit recirculate that increases fan speed but not much else that I can tell. I can change temps on both sides but I am not sure it makes any difference.
You have a mish-mash of symptoms that could be one thing or two. My guess would be the HVAC head unit in the dash (the thing you interact with). As mentioned above, it is a common failure item. Members have been able to find new and used ones in the C6 Parts Forum as well as ebay or elsewhere for less than dealer new price. New from dealer they are around $450 (ish). You could get the OBD HVAC codes read but most consumer grade readers don't do those, you would likely have to go to a dealer or other shop with a Tech II and dealers usually charge for reading codes but some don't. Changing the unit is a DIY job, about the same as changing the stereo head unit.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
You have a mish-mash of symptoms that could be one thing or two. My guess would be the HVAC head unit in the dash (the thing you interact with). As mentioned above, it is a common failure item. Members have been able to find new and used ones in the C6 Parts Forum as well as ebay or elsewhere for less than dealer new price. New from dealer they are around $450 (ish). You could get the OBD HVAC codes read but most consumer grade readers don't do those, you would likely have to go to a dealer or other shop with a Tech II and dealers usually charge for reading codes but some don't. Changing the unit is a DIY job, about the same as changing the stereo head unit.
Thanks - that's what I thought would be the best bet. I ordered a new one on Amazon.com for $307.27 prime, 2 day delivery. I will receive today but I'll be out of town until Saturday so will try it out this weekend.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:40 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Thanks - that's what I thought would be the best bet. I ordered a new one on Amazon.com for $307.27 prime, 2 day delivery. I will receive today but I'll be out of town until Saturday so will try it out this weekend.
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery? This sometimes resets the head unit..
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery? This sometimes resets the head unit..
that didn't help. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
I had a similar issue and this is what I did. Disconnected the battery for like 5 minutes. Reconnected, problem solved.

In fact this has happened to my 2013 twice so far and both times fixed by disconnecting the battery. Never once happened in my 2005 C6.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM
djsv810
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair of C6 Climate Control Module

Originally Posted by Unreal
The c6 climate control modules fail. I've replaced mine twice. It is becoming a more and more common issue as they get older.
Where and how did you get it repaired? What was the cost?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Bought a new climate control unit, swapped it out. Was ~$350 I believe. Replaced it myself. Super easy, just pop center console out. Plenty of guides on that.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Boomer013
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine just started doing this exact same thing! Fan speed will increase but not decrease, the modes wont change from vent to floor etc but a/c and everything works. Dealership said it was the climate control module, so ordered one and put it in tonight, same problems still occurring with the new unit.

So now I am not sure if the actuators are simply burned out and no power is going to them period but that doesn’t explain the fan speed. Anyone have additional possible resolutions for this? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Boomer013
Mine just started doing this exact same thing! Fan speed will increase but not decrease, the modes wont change from vent to floor etc but a/c and everything works. Dealership said it was the climate control module, so ordered one and put it in tonight, same problems still occurring with the new unit.

So now I am not sure if the actuators are simply burned out and no power is going to them period but that doesn’t explain the fan speed. Anyone have additional possible resolutions for this? Thanks!
Control module did nothing for me. the shop that's working on it now is currently diagnosing mine. By the way it made my dash begin to bubble up around the defrost vents, so watch for that if you don't get it fixed soon. Did GM service diagnostics and changed the AC mode actuator and now it moves, but the mode valve is curled up or something so will be replacing the mode valve and the other three actuators, which means dash has to come out. Will let you know if that fixes it.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Boomer013
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Control module did nothing for me. the shop that's working on it now is currently diagnosing mine. By the way it made my dash begin to bubble up around the defrost vents, so watch for that if you don't get it fixed soon. Did GM service diagnostics and changed the AC mode actuator and now it moves, but the mode valve is curled up or something so will be replacing the mode valve and the other three actuators, which means dash has to come out. Will let you know if that fixes it.
Thanks for the feedback! Hope you get it sorted out. I’m certain my issue is the same as yours and will need the same parts replaced. :-(
Old 01-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Any updates to this situation? I have the same issue(s) described above, changed out the control unit with a re-manufactured unit from ASI, did the fuse pull.....no change. Not looking forward to pulling the dash apart, nor having the dealer do it for giant money and leaving lots of squeaky noises behind.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:28 PM
KyleMonaghan
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Hey there Unreal! I'm brand new to the thread. Like the posts above, I'm also having problems with my climate control module. The fan speed won't come down after turning it up, and the mode door actuator tries to operate even when the car is off. I see you recommend replacing the HVAC control module. Why do you think this fix didn't work for several other members on this post? Also, is replacing the HVAC control module is simple as plug-and-play, or does it need to be calibrated with a scan tool? Thanks!

Last edited by KyleMonaghan; 06-07-2021 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Beebopboothang (06-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 climate control problems

Old 06-15-2021, 04:43 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

So we jumped from 2010 to 2017 to 2021....this is one hell of a rehashed thread

To answer your question, yes its easy if you have patience and some working knowledge of cars. No, you dont need a scan tool to recalibrate it.

Last edited by schizcat; 06-15-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:44 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by schizcat
So we jumped from 2010 to 2017 to 2021 to 2022....this is one hell of a rehashed thread
sorry to bump this thread but I'm hoping some of the members that has experienced the ac blowing through the defrost will post their fixes.
mine was not blowing through the center vent so i disconnected the battery,, pulled all 3 fuses and let it sit for over an hour while i cleaned the garage. reconnected the battery..installed the fuses then cranked her up...ok..all is well and now blowing through all vents. shut her down and went back to cleaning. got through and went to move the car and same thing..blowing out defroster. did another long reset 3 more times and it didn't work.
does this sound like head unit.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:06 PM
USA1LBvert
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I’ve been having similar issues for two years. Hvac basically has a mind of its own. A/c sometimes comes on full blast and won’t shut off. Sometimes it doesn’t come on when I want it too. Sometimes it comes out the defrost vents and sometimes it will come out all the vents. In the summer I have to make sure the temp is set to cold because it will decide to come on blowing hot air and it won’t let me adjust the temps. Crazy. I am in search of an hvac head unit hoping it will sure the issues.

Quick Reply: C6 climate control problems