C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
bg42103
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Details here along with phone numbers...
Repeated movement of the steering column could interrupt the signal within the column, which will illuminate the message “Service Active Handling System.” In rare instances, this could apply one or more of the brakes and pull the Corvette to the right or left. If the driver is caught off guard, this could lead to a dangerous situation.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Too bad they don't offer this for C5s
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
1988Bullitt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/03/c...-column-issue/
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. Will contact my dealer.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

And I thought it was just because the car didn't like my driving...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

This problem was reported about July 09 and GM issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to fix it by installimg a special clip to prevent interference between the column movement and wiring for stability control system; however at that time they wouldn't make it a recall. So you had to buy the part for about $10 and install it yourself or pay for a service call visit to the dealership for the TSB to be performed. Someone here on the forum posted DIY instructions and pictures on how to install the clip. A search will probably find that post. I'm glad they finally are doing a recall, because I never got around to doing the procedure. It is a sefety issue and should have been a recall long ago.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they will reimburse me and my supplemental warranty company as I had this done last year?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Got the recall notice in the mail today about this and also the top problem. Good thing, because I was getting ready to take the top in anyway because it is making some funny noises and I sure don't want it to fly off and decapitate someone!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
I wonder if they will reimburse me and my supplemental warranty company as I had this done last year?
Gm would probably have to borrow some more money from Obama to do that!

Incidently, for those not familiar with this issue, it only applies to vehicles with the telescoping column (part of 3LT package).
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Gm would probably have to borrow some more money from Obama to do that!
mmm, didn't they pay the loan money back with the new TARP money he granted them. I'm so lost with the slight of hands, lies, and fallacies of the present congress and prez, that I think we're witnessing the greatest magic trick ever played on America.... and the audience is going hog wild for it. They want more. When the curtains close they are going to find their wallets have been pick-pocketed. They never saw Simon Legree pull their money out while he had his arms wrapped around them. Nosirreejimbob. That was a hug of love.

Does that mean I'll be reimbursed for the repairs?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Its about timeI still dont know why this took so long,I have expressed my feelings about this issue how serious this can be,and I was fortunate not to have gotten hurt
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyVette
Got the recall notice in the mail today about this and also the top problem. Good thing, because I was getting ready to take the top in anyway because it is making some funny noises and I sure don't want it to fly off and decapitate someone!
Got my "Safety Recall Notice" today too - - `bout time . . . hope they can match Precision Red . . . . a new top would be nice . .
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
mmm, didn't they pay the loan money back with the new TARP money he granted them. I'm so lost with the slight of hands, lies, and fallacies of the present congress and prez, that I think we're witnessing the greatest magic trick ever played on America.... and the audience is going hog wild for it. They want more. When the curtains close they are going to find their wallets have been pick-pocketed. They never saw Simon Legree pull their money out while he had his arms wrapped around them. Nosirreejimbob. That was a hug of love.
What part of the fact that the government still owns 60% of GM stock do you not understand? When the rest of us that want GM cars in the future keep buying GM cars, the government will make money on that stock. That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

Please note this is C6 General.

PR&C is off this way:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
What part of the fact that the government still owns 60% of GM stock do you not understand? When the rest of us that want GM cars in the future keep buying GM cars, the government will make money on that stock. That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

Please note this is C6 General.

PR&C is off this way:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88
Typical response: Blame it on the Feds
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Added to the C6 FAQ.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Got my letter today, along with the recall for the service active handling wire harness clip.

Along with a letter of how to be reimbursed if you spent money on either of these issues before now.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 AM
meekstro
Navigator

I just bought an 05 and noticed this "service active handling system" message coming on and was wondering what that was all about. Guess I will be taking it in soon for the recall.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my car (2005) used in 2008.. it only had 6000 miles on it, and I got the bulletin today re: the Top & wiring.. I DO have the telescoping steering wheel..

I stopped at the dealership, & am going in Fri.. I did a check on my car , & the roof had foam put in it when it only had 2000 miles on it.. I'm guessing this took care of the roof problem, however when the dealership looked up my VIN they said they would have to check my TOP again, and in Worst Case it would have to be repainted...

I'm hoping the foam that was done back when it was new took care of my roof problem... We'll see about the other one (steering column)

PS I gave them a PBA card, and they will install my DSV break handle (I had a problem & couldn't get it on)

I also asked if I would have any problems because I have a Vararam Intake, & a Cartek Tune... I was told "Just bring the car, coffee & donuts" oh and some reading material... LOL

I guess I got lucky with the dealer I went to...
Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Blue42
Racer

I got my letter in the mail today, guess I will be calling them and going in soon.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
This problem was reported about July 09 and GM issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to fix it by installimg a special clip to prevent interference between the column movement and wiring for stability control system; however at that time they wouldn't make it a recall. So you had to buy the part for about $10 and install it yourself or pay for a service call visit to the dealership for the TSB to be performed. Someone here on the forum posted DIY instructions and pictures on how to install the clip. A search will probably find that post. I'm glad they finally are doing a recall, because I never got around to doing the procedure. It is a sefety issue and should have been a recall long ago.
Tried a search and could not find DIY post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2005 - 2006 Corvettes Recalled