C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove steering column covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Default How to remove steering column covers?

I'm curious to hear from someone who has popped the upper and lower covers off of the steering column. I do not have the telescoping option.

As usual, the error-ridden 2006 Service Manual's description bears little resemblance to reality. The Torx fasteners they depict and describe aren't even there.

Last edited by torquetube; 05-27-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:24 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

I figured it out. Ignore the instructions on page 2-78 of the '06 Service Manual. They are specifically for the non-telescoping column (my car) but they are completely incorrect.

There are no Torx head screws securing the lower trim cover, and the upper and lower covers do not attach by means of a U-shaped hook as depicted in the diagram. You don't have to remove the steering wheel OR the tilt lever, either.

Last edited by torquetube; 05-29-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Nope. Just the airbag assembly.

Sorry I missed it, but glad you figured it out. The HUD mod install manual Talon90 did would also have helped immensely.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:43 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by filmjay
Nope. Just the airbag assembly.

Sorry I missed it, but glad you figured it out. The HUD mod install manual Talon90 did would also have helped immensely.
I didn't have to touch the airbag.

I removed the covers in order to replace the turn-signal lever assembly. The old one would occasionally activate the high-beams when I signaled a right lane change.

There's a Torx-head screw that secures the lever assembly and faces the back of the steering wheel, but I was able to remove and replace it without too much trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove steering column covers?

Quick Reply: How to remove steering column covers?