C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Replace Rear Leaf Spring

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
GHWelles
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace Rear Leaf Spring

Can you replace the rear leaf spring without the spring compression tool shown in the shop manual?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes sir...absolutely!

All you need to do it put the rear on jack stands. Remove both rear tires. Remove the nut where the spindles and upper control arms meet. Once nut is removed now it's time to seperate the spindles from the upper control arms. You can do this by placing a jack under the control arm and jack it up a few inches and remove the bolt and nut for the lower part of the shock. Make sure you keep an eye on the jack stands. You don't want to upset the jack stands. Now use a mallot and beat the edge of the control arm where you removed the run. That'll knock it lose. Some guys use a pry bar and that works fine. Once you have the spindle "unhooked" just lower the jack down and proceed to the other side. After you finish the other side just remove the four bolts for the leaf spring and whiggle it out through the driver or psgr side.

TIP: removing of screwing in the lowering bolts helps to get it out.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not. I swap out rear leaf springs in less than 45mins.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Took a look at the Pfadt coilover install sheet and it tells you how to get the spring out. Like Sparo2 said, it took me 1/2 hour to take the spring out, but I installed coilovers, so I never put a new spring in.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...structions.pdf

1. Jack up rear of car and support with jack stands. Remove rear wheels.
2. Remove the bolts that hold the leaf spring retaining brackets to subframe .
3. Place a jack under the lower control arm. Remove the bolt that retains the spring to the control
arm. CAUTION: There may be tension on the spring. Lower jack to release tension. Repeat on
other side.
4. Remove the rear leaf spring

Last edited by timd38; 06-21-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
GHWelles
Racer

great, thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Z06Pops
Intermediate

Default Remove Leaf Sprg

Questions
Aren't you supposed to use a pickle fork to separate the two?

Isn't the arm cast aluminum?

Don't think I want to be beating on my cast aluminum! But then again it's done all the time - WRONG.

Cliff
Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z06Pops
Questions
Aren't you supposed to use a pickle fork to separate the two?

Isn't the arm cast aluminum?

Don't think I want to be beating on my cast aluminum! But then again it's done all the time - WRONG.

Cliff
I used a pickle fork, just be carful not to damage the ball joint boot.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
GHWelles
Racer

DONE!

Got it to the point where I could disconnect the lower control arm and swing it to the side, then pulled the old spring out and slid the new one in. Only have to take apart one side. Huge improvement, the old spring was cracked, and did not provide support.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Lexicon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So what am I missing? I haved a 07 F55 and did the front years ago. I have the car up to put on the rear Z06 spring. If you have the F55, remeber to take off the sensor or it will get broken. I have the rear sway off, the lower shock bolt out, and the control rod off.

From the posts and out of Pfadt, I cannot tell if I need to knock out the lower ball joint or the upper ball joint or ???. The steps that say "knock it out with a hammer and block of wood" don't make sense to me. There is not a lot of room and I cannot see where to put a block and where to hit it.

Who can spell it out for me? I cannot find any how-to with pictures.

Thanks all!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Z06Pops
Intermediate

Default R Leaf Sprng

Lex, I think you should go back and re-read Timid and Sparo's posts to figure out which control arm. AND before you replace the spring smooth out the surface where the "lowering" bolt plastic cap contacts the lower control arm. The cap needs to slide smoothly on the arm surface. If it does not it will effect the cars handling. Small point. But it is the accumulation of small points that make a difference. Cliff
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Lexicon
Racer

I think i need to remove the upper control arm where it attaches to the frame. I did this on the front and if I do it on the rear then it should work.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon
I think i need to remove the upper control arm where it attaches to the frame. I did this on the front and if I do it on the rear then it should work.
100% correct. In fact it is easier IMO to remove the upper control arm from the frame than deal with the ball joint. Disconnect tie rod, upper control arm. Lower jack an remove.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Took a look at the Pfadt coilover install sheet and it tells you how to get the spring out. Like Sparo2 said, it took me 1/2 hour to take the spring out, but I installed coilovers, so I never put a new spring in.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...structions.pdf

1. Jack up rear of car and support with jack stands. Remove rear wheels.
2. Remove the bolts that hold the leaf spring retaining brackets to subframe .
3. Place a jack under the lower control arm. Remove the bolt that retains the spring to the control
arm. CAUTION: There may be tension on the spring. Lower jack to release tension. Repeat on
other side.
4. Remove the rear leaf spring
There is no bolt that retains the spring to the control arm.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Lexicon
Racer

Got it done. On a car with F55; Remove the sensors. You have to do both sides to get the spring out; tie rod, lower shock bolt, two bolts that hold the upper "A" arm. Got that done and the Z06 mufflers on. I need 12 nuts and the new gaskets to get here to finish the job.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Great topic for this week's How-To article...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...-spring-368652
The following 2 users liked this post by NVaughn:
roadgrader (11-01-2018), usmc2141 (07-20-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 12:22 PM
DAMCars
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the upper control arm unbolted, the shock unbolted, the leaf spring brackets unbolted (both sides), and the stock lowering bolt turned all the way up so its flush with the spring and I still can't pop the leaf spring loose on the passenger side. So frustruated. Thought i could just undo the leaf spring on passenger side and swing it out of the way of the rear diff drain plug. Yes the final goal here is to change the diff fluid. I am determined - no turning back. Any thoughts on why the leaf spring won't break loose? Do I really have to unbolt everything on the driver's side too?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by DAMCars
I have the upper control arm unbolted, the shock unbolted, the leaf spring brackets unbolted (both sides), and the stock lowering bolt turned all the way up so its flush with the spring and I still can't pop the leaf spring loose on the passenger side. So frustruated. Thought i could just undo the leaf spring on passenger side and swing it out of the way of the rear diff drain plug. Yes the final goal here is to change the diff fluid. I am determined - no turning back. Any thoughts on why the leaf spring won't break loose? Do I really have to unbolt everything on the driver's side too?
all you need to do is remove fill and drain plug to change diff fluid
Old 11-22-2017, 06:17 PM
DAMCars
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Wish it was that easy on the 2009. The drain plug is completely obstructed by the leaf spring.

It's all good, I finally managed to get the spring out of the way to drain the fluid. It looks like baby diarrhea so glad I'n changing. Going to do lowering bolts while I'm in there.

Last edited by DAMCars; 11-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Rear Leaf Spring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Rear Leaf Spring