C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Reverse gear grinding or Clutch problems please help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 AM
redls3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Reverse gear grinding or Clutch problems please help??

i have a 2008 corvette c6 6speed manual.

about 3 weeks ago after i did a clutch fluid change myself via the ranger method i started experiencieing some reverse problems.

my car is PERFECT in gears one thru six. but when i put it in reverse when i wanna back out of the driveway it makes grinding sound for 2 or three trys. if i put it in 3rd then in reverse it will be fine.

is this because there is air in my system or because my reverse syncro is bad?? or could my clutch be warped or something?

i need opionions or if this has happened to anyone else

thanks guys
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
z blue vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 zo6

I have the same prob, when i did my fluid chang to. Doing the same as yours. Ive ben looking all over and cant seem to find the fix.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Morrisman
Instructor

I have an 08 Z06 and that was the beginning of the end of my tranny. I could not get into reverse without the gears grinding like I didn't know how to shift. Dealership told me there was nothing wrong with tranny. I kept using the car until one day the car would no longer go into reverse. Then GM replaced the one synchro. As soon as I got the car back from dealership, 3rd and 4th gears started grinding. called dealership and GM made the decision to replace tranny. New tranny works great. no more problems.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
CSX4236
Intermediate

I am having the same exact problem, shop just did new clutch in car and everything ran fine for month. Then all of a sudden started grinding when tried to use reverse. If I want into first gear and then reverse problem does not happen. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 AM
redls3
Pro

thats my dilema now..... when i put the car into 1st then reverse its perfect no problems at all.

and all my other gears shift great without any grinding... very weird
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
z blue vette
Advanced

Default 07 zo6

Just to let you all know I called five different chevy dealerships and talked to the service dept. All of them told me its normal for reverse to grind,,, if you dont wait a couple seconds after applying the clutch. They said reverse isn't synchronized, need to let flywheel slow down, or put in different gear before going into reverse. One guy in service talked to his tranmission man and he also said its normal, One did ask me how quick did it grab when i let off clutch,,,incase there was problem with clutch...I suggest some of you called chevy dealer and ask like i did see if you get the same answers, and post it for us to see what you find out. my does fine if i count to like five after applying the clutch, then put it in reverse. Verry weird!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 AM
That_White_C6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got this problem right now in my 2008 C6 with 8200 miles.... My car is in the shop for an indefinate amount of time at this point becaue i am being told GM has no 6 spd transmissions in the US for my car!

Long story short:
I heard the grind in the AM had no reverse by late Afternoon the same day!

The long story goes as follows:

I bought this car used on 7-22-10 (less than 30 days ago), The car was amazing and perfect, but at the time of purchase i noticed a little noise coming from the transmission that sounded like a throw out bearing but i was ASSURED by the mechanics at the dealership that the noise was just the typical marbles in a can noise associated with this tremec transmission. I figured the noise was ok listened to the guys who had a better idea than me and just figured i would deal with it as this car is practically a street legal racecar. The bad news came 7-25-10... Three days after i signed the contracts. Sunday Morning i went out to meet some friends at the pool. When I got in the car in my driveway at home and went to put it in reverse i noticed it had a grind... this was the first time i ever noticed the grind something i wouldn't have missed prior.. 5 or 6 reverse attempts later throughout the day all returned the reverse grind noise... Finally number 7 reverse was gone.... i was in a parking lot trying to back out and found i had NO reverse...

I took the car to the shop monday 7-26-10... where its been untill now! 8-23-10 while van chevrolet in dallas trys to locate a 6 spd transmission. The word is from them that there are no 6spd transmissions anywhere in the united states! I dont know how true that can be at all or if anyone on the board has the ability to check that statement because its been 4 weeks and i still have no car

Update:

The noise turned out to be the reverse gear itself had split in half.. the gear was missing teeth ( probably because its not syncronised because this trans only has 8200 miles ) and the gear was cracked in half... GM's remedy is to replace the transmission thankfully.. however GM has no transmissions in the US to replace it with? Is this scenario even possible???
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

After reading a lot of posts on tranny problems for 08's and up I wonder if the T6060 was really an upgrade. I know there are/were issues with the T6060 in Mustangs too! It's purely anecdotal but it seems like this reverse grinding issue plagues a lot of these new T6060 trannys...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by z blue vette
Just to let you all know I called five different chevy dealerships and talked to the service dept. All of them told me its normal for reverse to grind,,, if you dont wait a couple seconds after applying the clutch. They said reverse isn't synchronized, need to let flywheel slow down, or put in different gear before going into reverse.
All five dealerships are wrong. Reverse is synchronized. That's why you don't hear any straight-cut gear whine backing up. That's also why there's a lockout solenoid - without it would be possible to select reverse while rolling forward.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
That_White_C6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Todays update:

GM may have found a surplus transmission after i called customer service hotline... i'm pretty sure the dealership should have done this a week ago... but i did it myself and got an answer within 2 hours....

We'll have a deffinate answer by wednesday...
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 AM
rapjunkie
Cruising

Default Anything new on this issue?

I'm experiencing the same problem, with just under 8000 miles on the clock (2008 C6 LT1 Coupe).
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

My 08 tranny doesn't do it but the tranny's in my 2 C5s did the same thing. All I did to prevent the grinding was to hold the shifter in 5th and slowly let the clutch out until the gears meshed. When they meshed the shifter would move forward just a little more. Ran for years and many thousands of miles like that with no more grinding and no other issues. Didn't have to shift to another gear or anything else. If you let it grind you probably will have a problem at some time in the future but doing this procedure prevents it from occurring.

Bill
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
rapjunkie
Cruising

Well I dropped the car off at the dealer today. They said it'll be a couple days until they can look at the trans. I'll keep the list posted.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
STLBLUES
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

My 08 grinds 5th if I do not slowly slide into it. My 08 always had notch shifts when cold outside. After a few miles of driving it gets better. 6060 not my favorite trans so far.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
rapjunkie
Cruising

I got mine back, and the shifting feels better in all gears. In comparison, it took a lot more effort to get into reverse before the repair. I'd highly recommend you take it in and let them address the issue under warranty.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Tumuerte
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My 08 tranny doesn't do it but the tranny's in my 2 C5s did the same thing. All I did to prevent the grinding was to hold the shifter in 5th and slowly let the clutch out until the gears meshed. When they meshed the shifter would move forward just a little more. Ran for years and many thousands of miles like that with no more grinding and no other issues. Didn't have to shift to another gear or anything else. If you let it grind you probably will have a problem at some time in the future but doing this procedure prevents it from occurring.

Bill
Bill, I know I'm reviving an old thread but I just had to say thank you for this tip. Reverse was grinding once in a while, then I took your advice and it has not grinded since.

I simply depress and hold the clutch, pop it in 3rd (just to ensure I don't mistakenly put it in reverse by finding 5th), then put it in reverse and slowly release the clutch. I never hit the gas until it has fully meshed. Sometimes I'll even see the shifter get sucked into reverse while slowly releasing the clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny Reverse gear grinding or Clutch problems please help??

Quick Reply: Tranny Reverse gear grinding or Clutch problems please help??