C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny shot..upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tranny shot..upgrade?

my 6l80e is shot, my car has 600rwhp. There has to be other options than letting the dealership replace with a stock unit for 5k, which is what they quoted me. Quick help plz
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Finnan
my 6l80e is shot, my car has 600rwhp. There has to be other options than letting the dealership replace with a stock unit for 5k, which is what they quoted me. Quick help plz
5k for a stock unit is a rip off, you should look at this thread since you are pushing a little more than stock power http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...y-be-over.html maybe this will help.

im in the middle of an 6l80 upgrade myself and just to give you an idea of what it cost i spent about 3600 total on labor and a beefed up rebuild, that was including shipping and having my stall sent off and checkout also.

good luck with your rebuild
dicky
Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please give me a call as soon as you can since the dealership is clearly trying to take advantage of you. I think you already have my phone number but if not send me a PM and I'll give it to you again.

Apart from the fact that I'd be very curious to know what they based their diagnosis on, there's absolutely no way it should cost $5000. According to both Alldata and a Service Manager I just talked to it takes 9.2 hours to R&R and transmission and even if that dealership has a pretty high labor rate of $120/hr, that'd be less than $1200. Since you can then buy a brand new 6L80 straight from GM for $2200, when you add in the labor and a few other misc parts the bill at most shoud be no more than $3500.

Also, if you want to give me the name and contact info of the dealership I'd be more than willing to call on your behalf and talk to either the service advisor and/or the tech who actually worked on the car to try and find out what exactly they think is wrong it.

Hopefully looking forward to hearing from you,
Christopher
Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
Please give me a call as soon as you can since the dealership is clearly trying to take advantage of you. I think you already have my phone number but if not send me a PM and I'll give it to you again.

Apart from the fact that I'd be very curious to know what they based their diagnosis on, there's absolutely no way it should cost $5000. According to both Alldata and a Service Manager I just talked to it takes 9.2 hours to R&R and transmission and even if that dealership has a pretty high labor rate of $120/hr, that'd be less than $1200. Since you can then buy a brand new 6L80 straight from GM for $2200, when you add in the labor and a few other misc parts the bill at most shoud be no more than $3500.

Also, if you want to give me the name and contact info of the dealership I'd be more than willing to call on your behalf and talk to either the service advisor and/or the tech who actually worked on the car to try and find out what exactly they think is wrong it.

Hopefully looking forward to hearing from you,
Christopher

Thanks so much, I'll be out of town till Monday but I'll call you Monday morning and you can just tell me what to do and I'll tell you what I've decided so far. Pm me your number again plz. Nothing bad to my seller here btw, he had no clue about any of this, just bad luck and timing on my part. He even sent me money when we thought it was going to be simple.great guy
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

Thanks so much, I'll be out of town till Monday but I'll call you Monday morning and you can just tell me what to do and I'll tell you what I've decided so far. Pm me your number again plz. Nothing bad to my seller here btw, he had no clue about any of this, just bad luck and timing on my part. He even sent me money when we thought it was going to be simple.great guy
PM sent.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Even on this forum, I've seen low mileage 6L80E's for 1200 dollars or so, so I would probably go that route plus a rebuild to beef it up!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM
therodguy
Instructor

From whaT I understand, circle d and rossleR are the only ones even attempting to build these. Opinions?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

From whaT I understand, circle d and rossleR are the only ones even attempting to build these. Opinions?
They are, in addition to ECS (I believe) but Century is the only one who is willing to offer a warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To tranny shot..upgrade?

Quick Reply: tranny shot..upgrade?