C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Sided Tape

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Default Double Sided Tape

I recently bought some pre-owned splash guards and need to get some new adhesive strips for them. I figured I could use some variant of 3m double sided tape, but the only one I could find locally was this 3m Super Strong Automotive Adhesive which I figured if I ever had to remove the splash guards would also remove a line of paint underneath, a la "Super Strong." Anyone know of a product I can use? Afaik, it doesn't have to be strong enough to actually hold the splash guard on, just to keep it snug around the outer edge. Just looking for something paint-safe.

Thanks all.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
RULEMKR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Some glass companies use a 2 sided tape that seem to work great. I think it's designed to use on wall mirrors or something. It comes in a roll and it only about a 1/4 inch wide. It's been a while since I purchased any but I'm sure the still sell it.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They come with what seems like the super strength 3M stuff, as do most spoilers, front lips, etc, that use double sided tape. As long as you don't violently try to remove it and instead "roll" it off I wouldn't be too concerned about the paint lifting. Besides, once installed, I can't see why you'd ever want to remove them.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by marc8090
They come with what seems like the super strength 3M stuff, as do most spoilers, front lips, etc, that use double sided tape. As long as you don't violently try to remove it and instead "roll" it off I wouldn't be too concerned about the paint lifting. Besides, once installed, I can't see why you'd ever want to remove them.

Hmm I tend to agree with you about never removing them, I just wanted to be safe. The only reason I'd ever remove them is if I were replacing the fenders with wider ones anyway. I'm just going to go with the stuff I can get locally. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is the 3M gray foam tape with the red backing, I've used this tape for the Z06 splash guards and experienced no problem removing it without harming the OEM paint. Use lacquer thinner on a rag to help dissolve the glue. I got it at Home Depot.

Auto supply stores have the 3M tape that is designed specifically for body trim and molding. Try Autozone or Pep Boys.

When you attach it, wash and prep the surface with denatured alcohol to remove wax, oil.

Last edited by Mez; 10-29-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Mez
If this is the 3M gray foam tape with the red backing, I've used this tape for the Z06 splash guards and experienced no problem removing it without harming the OEM paint. Use lacquer thinner on a rag to help dissolve the glue. I got it at Home Depot.

Auto supply stores have the 3M tape that is designed specifically for body trim and molding. Try Autozone or Pep Boys.

When you attach it, wash and prep the surface with denatured alcohol to remove wax, oil.
Thanks, I'll try to find that, and if I can't I'll go with what I found at WalMart (the stuff from my OP).

Get notified of new replies

To Double Sided Tape

Quick Reply: Double Sided Tape