C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our LS3 416 vs Eforce $

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Can we keep on focus please
Certainly
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

For the record I'll cut someone a sweet deal on the E-force if they want one.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM
cell6ida
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, yes the 416 I offered here was with head work being done as well but those ETP's are all set so your one step ahead of the game.
Your looking at $5250 with Morel lifters, HKE pushrods, Melling HV OP, double roller timing set, custom HKE cam and you sending us all your covers and oil pan and we'll send you back the assembled long block
Again, please excuse my ignorance of storker motors...but....I currently have the ported Fast 92 intake, and 1 7'8" headers....I'm assuming these would still be used when I put the 416 LS2 back in right?

Also could you estimate how much more hp I would have over what I have now? You can look up all my mods, but basiclly I've got 476 rwhp (not sure about flywheel) through an A6 trasmission. The only engine work done now is the ETP 225 milled heads (11.7:1 compression ratio) that I mentioned before, and a 231/235 113 cam.

Could you give me an estimate of how much additional power I would have if you did the 416 stroker, assuming I would be keeping the ETP heads, and all the other non-motor mods I already have?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:25 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Wellll. if you have an Ls2 we're talking about an 403 stroker not a 416. If your really making that with those heads and that cam ( which is pretty good) then we're guessing 520-530 but we would cam it differently. The heads will limit things up top but they aren't bad heads at all.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
You do realize that every single car GM, Ford, Dodge, etc. produced uses a “canned tune” right? It does not matter whether you are in Alaska or Mexico or Colorado for that matter.
You do realize that every single GM car running that "canned tune" doesnt have 150+ IATs + boost + 10.7:1 compression with 91 octane right?

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-23-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by cell6ida
Again, please excuse my ignorance of storker motors...but....I currently have the ported Fast 92 intake, and 1 7'8" headers....I'm assuming these would still be used when I put the 416 LS2 back in right?

Also could you estimate how much more hp I would have over what I have now? You can look up all my mods, but basiclly I've got 476 rwhp (not sure about flywheel) through an A6 trasmission. The only engine work done now is the ETP 225 milled heads (11.7:1 compression ratio) that I mentioned before, and a 231/235 113 cam.

Could you give me an estimate of how much additional power I would have if you did the 416 stroker, assuming I would be keeping the ETP heads, and all the other non-motor mods I already have?

Thanks!
That cam in a bigger displacement will peak way too low. Those specs on a 116+0 will be at about 6300rpm.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
That cam in a bigger displacement will peak way too low. Those specs on a 116+0 will be at about 6300rpm.
agreed... and should also have better idle/street manners.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris sells the best engines in my opinion...HKE. Do an internet search and see if you find a breath of an issue and anything but class beating results. Spec for spec, Erik's engines perform better. No one builds them better. He doesn't need crazy high compression to achieve the results, and he is usually conservative on camming. He just builds them right.

Erik may be the most modest guy you find in this business too. He is crazy busy though, but Chris has the hotline into him and will work day and night to get you taken care of with an HKE engine.

No one disputes the fact that $ for $ however, nothing beats an ECS or AA package (or at least the potential of one). Zero doubt. I was *this* close to going that route, but the fact that I like doing hpde, and in general just much prefer the powerband of strong NA power over FI (especially over Centri SC), I went with a HKE engine.

I looked at the Edelbrock with great anticipation, but at it's price, and some of it's inherent design compromises, it was quickly ruled out.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
A perfect example of the right time to go forged! If you already have to pull the motor for work it makes perfect sense to go forged and go big.
Exactly! I was going to keep it factory, as I was running consistant 12.23-12.27 runs. But, when I hydrolocked the motor, it was a dream opportunity to have a high horsepower monster with more power than I needed.

Originally Posted by janstubbs
So what did that upgrade cost?
It helps that I am friends with the shop owners. That got me some good discounts. In all I paid $500 deductible plus another $1,000 for the 418 stroker (another engine shop), large cam, long tube headers with high flow cats and a line loc...installed (without insurance, the cost would have been around $10,000). I went with steel top rings, just in case I wanted to go forced (nitrous, supercharger, turbo). But, after running 10.9 with oversized drag radials (2" taller than factory with factory Z51 gears), I decided not to go any further. Since I don't want to cage it, I am stuck where I am. Crazy thing is I have considered on numerous occasions selling the car, as the mileage I drive to/from work is going to add up quickly. I hate to pile the miles onto it.
But, if you want more power...stroker is definitely the way to go!!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

ttt
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Stage7
Chris sells the best engines in my opinion...HKE. Do an internet search and see if you find a breath of an issue and anything but class beating results. Spec for spec, Erik's engines perform better. No one builds them better. He doesn't need crazy high compression to achieve the results, and he is usually conservative on camming. He just builds them right.

Erik may be the most modest guy you find in this business too. He is crazy busy though, but Chris has the hotline into him and will work day and night to get you taken care of with an HKE engine.

No one disputes the fact that $ for $ however, nothing beats an ECS or AA package (or at least the potential of one). Zero doubt. I was *this* close to going that route, but the fact that I like doing hpde, and in general just much prefer the powerband of strong NA power over FI (especially over Centri SC), I went with a HKE engine.

I looked at the Edelbrock with great anticipation, but at it's price, and some of it's inherent design compromises, it was quickly ruled out.
100% that Erik Koenig of HKE is the premier LSx builder in the County and makes a killer LSx engine with top workmanship, that makes great power and is extremely reliable.

The N/A vs F/I debate will go on forum amongst us gear heads. I have had both a 427 C5R Engine (N/A) in a 98 C5, current stock LS7 in my C6 Z, and an HKE forged 346 LS6 making over 700rwhp with a D1SC ESC blower set-up. Its a matter of personal preference (n/a vs f/i) and for me its a no brainer (naturally aspirated all the way) from here on out, primarily b/c of the EXTRA torque you feel on the street on normal street driven cars it is much more responsive and quicker, than a smaller cubed blown engine and I prefer to make power naturally aspirated vs. a power adder!

Its a great price for a built 530rwhp LS3 416 c.i. n/a engine built by the best (Erik of HKE) who builds the best n/a LSx engines around.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-11-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 PM
janstubbs
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see an answer to the emissions question, since I am in CA, this is important. I am guessing that the cam in the 416 is not CARB approved. Also I have a LS2, the Eforce seems not to notice the difference between LS2 and LS3, they claim the same power. Another important factor is gas mileage, Eforce likely gets the nod here, I like the 30.4 MPG I got on my last trip, and I drive my car a lot, and pretty fast too.

Finally I will say that the Eforce engine cover is way ugly, I might go for a Maggy just because of that.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by janstubbs
I didn't see an answer to the emissions question, since I am in CA, this is important. I am guessing that the cam in the 416 is not CARB approved. Also I have a LS2, the Eforce seems not to notice the difference between LS2 and LS3, they claim the same power. Another important factor is gas mileage, Eforce likely gets the nod here, I like the 30.4 MPG I got on my last trip, and I drive my car a lot, and pretty fast too.

Finally I will say that the Eforce engine cover is way ugly, I might go for a Maggy just because of that.

FI getting better mileage....don't think so. There is a lot of extra friction involved with a SC, not with a turbo. That's why turbos are used on the bigger trucks, pulling heavy loads
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

I don't think a cam can have a carb number, emissions will depend on the cam and the tuner
Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
FI getting better mileage....don't think so. There is a lot of extra friction involved with a SC, not with a turbo. That's why turbos are used on the bigger trucks, pulling heavy loads
FI does get better mileage.
An ls-3 with an A&A kit will get 28-29 mpg and better than 20 at all times even all in town. Way better than a stroker.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

I would think driving habit would have a lot to do with it. HP takes fuel. The problem I have when I get behind the wheel is Like to feel the power and cant keep my foot out of it
Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

I would think driving habit would have a lot to do with it. HP takes fuel. The problem I have when I get behind the wheel is Like to feel the power and cant keep my foot out of it
Very true

But wouldn't you say that forced induction is going to be running a bit richer to be safe, and also induce a bit more friction into the equation, in making equal power?

Get notified of new replies

To Our LS3 416 vs Eforce $

Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

I think there are arguments on both sides and the type of s/c you have makes a difference and its efficiency and the efficiency of the system as whole.

More cubes are going to want more gas. Boost on the same cubes wants more gas when getting into boost and there is the parasitic loss of the s/c to begin with.

I don't have the luxury of having both side by side to drive for a week and give a real world answer, I've always been a n/a kind of guy..LOL

But I can say for certain as my power levels have increased I cant keep my foot out of it and get bad gas milages anyway no matter what I am driving.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Ever since I was a kid I loved the sound of nice N/A V-8. That pure, raw sound is really something

Can wait to get my new H/C setup installed
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Ever since I was a kid I loved the sound of nice N/A V-8. That pure, raw sound is really something
Can't beat the sound of a cam'd car with long tube headers....but you can have all of that and forced induction in the same package.

Quick Reply: Our LS3 416 vs Eforce $